ADVERTISEMENT

Forget the NCAA. Forget the G-League. Lebron has the answer.

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
Well, now we have a new factor in the equation.

Lebron's agency signed a Syracuse commit. The kid gets a one million dollar "internship" with New Balance. He will also skip the G-League for a year to train in Lebron's "program" ... whatever that is.

Lebron is sharp. I'm sure this is the start of something bigger ... an academy? A partnership with the NBA?

I've said my bit about the NCAA's narcolepsy in this environment. But it becomes pretty clear the players are pretty low on everybody's priority list.

Shame on Lebron for selling the idea that $1 million is more valuable than a college education. At best and being VERY genereous, they are similar value.

Shame on Lebron for selling the idea that $1 million is more valuable than a college education. At best and being VERY genereous, they are similar value.
C'mon, college isn't for everyone. I disagree with the assumption that you have to go to college to live a good life.

OTOH, if you were /s then I agree!

Shame on Lebron for selling the idea that $1 million is more valuable than a college education. At best and being VERY generous, they are similar value.
$1 million might not be more valuable than a college education, but it's way more valuable that 8 months of phony baloney classes that just keep you eligible through March of your first year.

C'mon, college isn't for everyone. I disagree with the assumption that you have to go to college to live a good life.

OTOH, if you were /s then I agree!

I'm not totally set on this, but I'm starting to think "college may not be for everyone" is a bit of a cop out. There's plenty of degrees out there if the person wants it ... or they are steered correctly toward one. After all, these are high school kids.

I don't mean this to be some strong support of this do-nothing NCAA position. But anybody watching out for the kids should be steering them more toward college, and not away from it. That's part of this problem.

If you catch me in a good mood, I might agree there's ten players every year who I could agree will get the generational money to skip school.

Let's put it this way: Who would you bet on to have better long-term financial stability throughout their entire life?

a) The top-50 COMPLETE bust who barely sees the starting line-up in his four years, but gets gets his degree.

b) The top 50 who signs with Lebron, gets his $1 million and never gets a degree and is drafted at #22 in the first round. Number 22, the Bulls, Chandler Hutchison, will get $2.1 million for the next two years.

I'd bet on the A kid. Because you know the B-kid is out of the league by his middle 20s, hopefully in Europe and done with his money by the time he's 45 because he didn't invest wisely.

A classical education can certainly enhance one's quality of life and appreciation of the arts and sciences, improve their thinking and communication skills, and have a more open and comprehensive perspective (I refuse to say "global" because every school days, starting with elementary school).

But you don't need a classical education to get by in this world. The school of Hard Knocks is always the best education. You can always go back, or, more likely, pick stuff up as you wind your way through life.

For these kids not going to college, a program that develops their skills as basketball players and introduces them to the world of being a professional athlete is infinitely more valuable than any GenEd course.

Reactions: FrancisSearle75
I'm not totally set on this, but I'm starting to think "college may not be for everyone" is a bit of a cop out. There's plenty of degrees out there if the person wants it ... or they are steered correctly toward one. After all, these are high school kids.

I don't mean this to be some strong support of this do-nothing NCAA position. But anybody watching out for the kids should be steering them more toward college, and not away from it. That's part of this problem.

If you catch me in a good mood, I might agree there's ten players every year who I could agree will get the generational money to skip school.

Let's put it this way: Who would you bet on to have better long-term financial stability throughout their entire life?

a) The top-50 COMPLETE bust who barely sees the starting line-up in his four years, but gets gets his degree.

b) The top 50 who signs with Lebron, gets his $1 million and never gets a degree and is drafted at #22 in the first round. Number 22, the Bulls, Chandler Hutchison, will get $2.1 million for the next two years.

I'd bet on the A kid. Because you know the B-kid is out of the league by his middle 20s, hopefully in Europe and done with his money by the time he's 45 because he didn't invest wisely.
Then there are guys like derrick Rose, who needed someone to take his ACT in order to play BB and likely didn't see the inside of a classroom. In fact plenty of guys like Rose who didn't do school but are earning millions playing a game.

Complete generalizations, but don't college grads on average earn about $17,500 more than high school grads (think this was in the Economist or similar)? Would take someone like 60 years to make up the million at that rate.

In your A vs. B scenario, A only wins because you added "done with his money by the time he's 45 because he didn't invest wisely." B would 100% be the one who wins by earning $5-10M as an NBA scrub from 19-25 if someone gave them the resources/wherewithal with what to do with that money. If LeBron's program helps with that, then it's probably a good thing.

... B would 100% be the one who wins by earning $5-10M as an NBA scrub from 19-25 if someone gave them the resources/wherewithal with what to do with that money...

As I pointed out above, #22 earns $2 million per year for the first two years.

Now take a look at the 2014 draft and tell me how many of them are earning $5-10 million a year.

Just using my random selection #22, Jordan Adams, #22 in 2014, is out the league. His last salary was $1.3 million.

Now take a look at the 2014 draft and tell me how many of them are earning $5-10 million a year.

Just using my random selection #22, Jordan Adams, #22 in 2014, is out the league. His last salary was $1.3 million.
I didn't mean $5-$10M per year. I meant earning between $5M and $10M from ages 19-25. So #22 in the draft is at $4M in his first two years...do you know how long it would take someone who graduated college but does not make it to the NBA to earn $4M?

Jordan Adams earned about $4M in his career...that is life changing money to almost every single one of these guys. The caveat is that they need to take care of it.

$1 million might not be more valuable than a college education, but it's way more valuable that 8 months of phony baloney classes that just keep you eligible through March of your first year.

correct, the kids that would go this route were never going to get a college degree in the first place. They were 1 and done and then going pro anyways. Besides, they can always go back and get their degree later paying tuition themselves if that is something they wanted.

This level of athlete is basically a professional. They are not student athletes as much as the phony NCAA likes to promote them as .

Well, now we have a new factor in the equation.

Lebron's agency signed a Syracuse commit. The kid gets a one million dollar "internship" with New Balance. He will also skip the G-League for a year to train in Lebron's "program" ... whatever that is.

Lebron is sharp. I'm sure this is the start of something bigger ... an academy? A partnership with the NBA?

I've said my bit about the NCAA's narcolepsy in this environment. But it becomes pretty clear the players are pretty low on everybody's priority list.

Why do people think it is either/or?
A college education can wait. No hurry to get a piece of paper for credibility when you can do that later in life. Who says a kid has to start college at 17?
Besides, he already will be at the top of his field as a professional in the NBA.
If he were my son, id say chase your dream and take the money. Going to college is a scam anyways.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT