Fourth place is still in reach

SmellyCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
With Bucky going down tonight, here's all it takes:

NU beats Purdue
Minnesota beats Wisconsin
Maryland beats Michigan State

Tall order, but that gets NU in a tie for fourth with just Wisconsin, and the tiebreaker is ours.

If Maryland loses, but the first two occur, it's a three-way tie with all three teams 1-1 against each other.

Purdue has clinched the outright title with the Wisconsin loss tonight. Will be interesting to see how they approach the game Sunday.

With Bucky going down tonight, here's all it takes:

NU beats Purdue
Minnesota beats Wisconsin
Maryland beats Michigan State

Tall order, but that gets NU in a tie for fourth with just Wisconsin, and the tiebreaker is ours.

If Maryland loses, but the first two occur, it's a three-way tie with all three teams 1-1 against each other.

In the latter case, it goes to the team with the best record vs. Purdue, which would be us. So we win both tiebreakers you describe

In the latter case, it goes to the team with the best record vs. Purdue, which would be us. So we win both tiebreakers you describe

Well, that's really nice. So I guess the Maryland game doesn't matter when it comes to the double-bye, but I guess if they lose NU gets third if the other two come to pass? Wow.

I just spent 10 min figuring this out. Next time I'll just click on here. But we DO need a MD win over MSU --- otherwise it's a 4 way tie for 3rd. I don't know the 4 way tiebreakers.

Not quite... wouldn't it then be a 4 way tie for 3rd at 11-7? MD, WI, MSU, and us. We are 1-2 against that group, I would think one of them has a better record than that, right?

Not quite... wouldn't it then be a 4 way tie for 3rd at 11-7? MD, WI, MSU, and us. We are 1-2 against that group, I would think one of them has a better record than that, right?
Yes for sure, but it's a 4 way tie for 3rd

Yes for sure, but it's a 4 way tie for 3rd
Just looked - MSU (if they beat Md) would be 3-0 vs that group I believe. I think each of us WI and MD would be 1-2. So MSU takes the 3rd spot, then that tiebreaker splits, and then I guess if the next step is maybe that Purdue thing which we win for 4th place bc we'd be 1-1 against them?

Then WI beat MD so it would be
1) Purdue 13-5
2) Minny 12-6
3) MSU 11-7
4) Northwestern 11-7
5) Wisconsin 11-7
6) Maryland 11-7

So if we win and Wiscy loses, we take 4th, though by different methods depending on whether Maryland or MSU wins on Sat.

Ah, I forgot about MSU. Well, tied for third in the Big Ten and the double-bye as the fourth seed is fine with me.

NU over Purdue, Minnesota over Wisconsin, and NU gets the fourth seed no matter what (with the Maryland/MSU winner as the #3 I guess).

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Ah, I forgot about MSU. Well, tied for third in the Big Ten and the double-bye as the fourth seed is fine with me.

NU over Purdue, Minnesota over Wisconsin, and NU gets the fourth seed no matter what (with the Maryland/MSU winner as the #3 I guess).

But how could Teddy be so wrong?

From the Chicago Tribune:

"The Wildcats will be either the No. 5 or No. 6 seed next week in the Big Ten tournament in Washington. They'll have the No. 6 slot — prime time, the bottom of the draw — unless they beat Purdue and Michigan State loses to Maryland.

Either way, their first game will be Thursday."

Reactions: D_C_B
Though I'd rather NU beat Purdue and get the double-bye, the sixth seed isn't a bad landing spot, as NU could possibly get the Nebraska/Rutgers winner on no rest. I'd probably rather face Nebraska, only because I want to see Pardon against them again this year. Then again, Nebraska, Indiana, Ohio State, and Penn State are all vying for 12/13/14. As the fifth seed (which NU gets if they win and Wisconsin wins), they'd get one of those teams, but no chance of Rutgers.

So, with the double-bye, they're fresh, but they'd probably play Wisconsin. With the fifth or sixth seed, they have a decent shot at a win against a group of teams they went 7-1 against this year (with the one loss being the agonizing loss to Indiana by one point). Doesn't mean they'd automatically get a win, but they'd have a decent shot.

Everybody in the Big 10 is beatable. So I wouldn't count out anyone at this point. Why not NU as the champ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT