ADVERTISEMENT

Franklin on crowd noise

The context to this quote really matters. If some reporter observed practice and asked him specifically why it wasn't like others, then his answer is fine. But if he found a way to work this non-sequitur into his comments just to make a dig, then that is just Franklin being a dick.
He’s being an arrogant prick…

So actually he was asked the question about the team motivation going from a white out , to a 11:00 am kickoff time. He did not pump in music or simulate crowd noise because that affects how you prepare. It was not a dig. You can hate him or think he was being arrogant but prep for a game with 100,000 fans screaming and telling and 20,000 is vastly different.

FYI, great win last week. Team really pulled together and played for each other. Glad to see them rise above.

Reactions: blmr31
So actually he was asked the question about the team motivation going from a white out , to a 11:00 am kickoff time. He did not pump in music or simulate crowd noise because that affects how you prepare. It was not a dig. You can hate him or think he was being arrogant but prep for a game with 100,000 fans screaming and telling and 20,000 is vastly different.

FYI, great win last week. Team really pulled together and played for each other. Glad to see them rise above.
Sorry, but I can't agree. I'm from Pa. too and come from a city that has sent a number of players to PSU. There is simply no reason to prepare for a game in which your team will face a vastly inferior team, where there will be a small quiet crowd in attendance, as if there were 100,000 screaming foot stomping opposition fans in in the stadium. Nor was there any legitimate reason for Franklin to mention it. He is now and always has been an arrogant prick who thrives on the backs of his highly capable assistants.

Last edited:
Based on Franklin's past I will assume it is more the same of him being an arrogant prick as this would not be out of character for him.

Too be honest he doesn't prepare for big games as the results against Ohio State and Michigan has proven the last few years.

The context to this quote really matters. If some reporter observed practice and asked him specifically why it wasn't like others, then his answer is fine. But if he found a way to work this non-sequitur into his comments just to make a dig, then that is just Franklin being a dick.

Here's the video of the full exchange

Reactions: blmr31

especially if 10k of them are your fans :-D

I’m not exactly sure why some here are upset with what he said. He was asked how different the whiteout atmosphere is from an 11am kick at Northwestern, and if he prepares differently, and he said he turned down the music at practice and challenged his team to find internal motivation.

What am I missing?

Still salty that you guys poached mason robinson from us! Wait until franklin gets reacquainted with this visitors locker room at Ryan.

• Haha
Reactions: NittanyJoel
I’m not exactly sure why some here are upset with what he said. He was asked how different the whiteout atmosphere is from an 11am kick at Northwestern, and if he prepares differently, and he said he turned down the music at practice and challenged his team to find internal motivation.

What am I missing?
I think it's hilarious, even if unintentional. I was at the MN game last week and screamed my lungs out but the place was pretty sedate, tbh.

What am I missing?
Exactly. If I were asked these questions I would have answered them the same way.

What am I missing?
Because in, like, 2008, Vandy head coach Franklin backed out of a return matchup with NU via fax.

@No Chores surviving on the backs of assistant coaches is pretty much the job description of a head coach. Hankwitz sure was good.

Reactions: Pete Purple
I was thinking the same thing about his fax cancellation. Such a classless move to not call The AD and Fitz. He was giving NU the finger. So he’s gone from immature to cringeworthy arrogance. I really really dislike Franklin.

Reactions: No Chores
I was thinking the same thing about his fax cancellation. Such a classless move to not call The AD and Fitz. He was giving NU the finger. So he’s gone from immature to cringeworthy arrogance. I really really dislike Franklin.
I guess the PSU fans like him and that is all he really cares about. For everyone else he is easy to dislike.

Reactions: No Chores
Franklin will be sorry when he hears how loud it gets when all those keys are jangled.
Can anyone from Dark Ages fandom confirm the apocryphal symbolism of the key jangling? Ive heard more than once that it was an expression of the “you will work for us someday” chant (like valet parking or what)? When I came to school spanning the Rose Bowl years I just thought it was the traditional way to cheer on a kickoff. I thought I may have seen other schools do it too.

Can anyone from Dark Ages fandom confirm the apocryphal symbolism of the key jangling? Ive heard more than once that it was an expression of the “you will work for us someday” chant (like valet parking or what)? When I came to school spanning the Rose Bowl years I just thought it was the traditional way to cheer on a kickoff. I thought I may have seen other schools do it too.
80-83 I don't remember it. But I was heavily sedated

Reactions: mickbula
87-90 here. Marshmellows were thrown all over the place during my tenure. Keys not sure about. Spent most of my time drinking heavily in parking lot/eating buffjoes/hitting on hot sorority ladies. Tickets not needed back then. Just nu ids. Key jingling happens at a lot of other school games. I do remember storming the field after win vs niu to break losing streak. Win vs illini in 87 as well I think??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT