ADVERTISEMENT

Game Rewatch: Nevada

gocatsgo2003

Gold Member
Mar 30, 2006
Typically try to get this out a little earlier in the week (and usually can't help but rewatch on Sunday or Monday at the latest), but didn't get a chance to rewatch the Nevada game until today due to some family travel over the long weekend.

In any event, in no particular order are my thoughts/observations after rewatching the Nevada game on DVR:

1) Hankwitz was pretty clearly anticipating more of a spread "air raid" attack than we got. I didn't realize until my rewatch that we started the game essentially in a 4-2-5 with McGee and Igwebuike at safety with Queiro playing the SAM and ran that personnel combination throughout the game. The entire scheme was to push a passing attack into the flats, leaving six and sometimes only five men in the box to face a Nevada offense that had more run than anticipated. Most of Nevada's longer runs came against a five-man box, which is always going to be tough on a defense. Once Hank had some time to digest what Nevada was doing, essentially shutting down Nevada in the second half.

2) I absolutely HATED McCall going into a one-back pro set in both "coming out" situations and in the red zone. We clearly weren't running inside very much with Nevada dedicating seven or eight men to the box, but at least we could find the edge a bit out of our normal spread. The Nevada defense got to compress even further against the single-back set, which further cut down on the lanes Jackson is so good at finding. We tried to run the pro-set stuff last year early and had to abandon it after it proved wholly ineffective. Just run your normal spread stuff, McCall.

3) That said, I think McCall called a pretty good game. While there were clearly more points on the board in the second half, the ball was moving pretty well in the first half as well (albeit with more "empty drives" with the missed chip shot and Skowronek fumble). There were more than a few timely calls (i.e. Jackson flare on third down, well-timed screens against blitzes, Skowronek's fake bubble wheel route, etc.). The same people bitching about predictable play calling would likely be complaining just the same if Jackson didn't get his touches.

4) The number of errors out of a veteran defensive back group is disappointing, especially in the first half. Missed assignments, bad eyes, peeking in the backfield, flat feet... there's really no excuse, especially given how much passing Hank clearly anticipated/prepared to face. McShepard gave up the big plays, but Hartage could have given up a handful if the ball were thrown a little better. Injuries and depth issues aside, there is PLENTY to clean up in the back half if we are going to beat the better teams on our schedule.

5) It's said a lot around here, but Jackson is good. Really good. That might have been the quietest 100-yard game I've seen in a while. Larkin showed some juice as well, flashing very good balance and vision. While I don't know anyone could "replace" Jackson, per se, Larkin was very intriguing in limited run. McGowan also had a little burst on his bubble screen.

6) Slater and Thomas did pretty well for themselves in their first starts at OT. Blocking calls should get easier against more traditional 4-3 or 3-4 teams, which could/should help the entire offensive line but especially the young guys. Still a ways to go, but was pleasantly surprised with our OL after they settled down a bit.

7) Lancaster played very well, showing good leverage for a big guy with good hands. He's going to make money playing this game. Expected a little more out of Thompson, who didn't really do much. The defensive game plan was pretty vanilla, but didn't see much out of the DEs either. Hank might have to reach into his bag of tricks sooner than he would like to generate a pass rush against better offensive lines. Interestingly Warren Long was lined up at DE in some passing situations; not sure if that was game planned against the anticipated "air raid" or a sign of more to come.

8) Absolutely loved Thorson taking over in the fourth quarter ("winning time"), standing in and delivering strikes. Showed a lot of ability and a lot of guts.

While the score was certainly closer than we would have liked, I didn't see anything against Nevada to change my thoughts on this team. Injuries at corner are worrisome, but I still think this is a very capable football team with stars at key positions. If the OL continues to gel and we get a little more out of our DL, we can play with anyone on our schedule.

Last edited:
Typically try to get this out a little earlier in the week (and usually can't help but rewatch on Sunday or Monday at the latest), but didn't get a chance to rewatch the Nevada game until today due to some family travel over the long weekend.

In any event, in no particular order are my thoughts/observations after rewatching the Nevada game on DVR:

1) Hankwitz was pretty clearly anticipating more of a spread "air raid" attack than we got. I didn't realize until my rewatch that we started the game essentially in a 4-2-5 with McGee and Igwebuike at safety with Queiro playing the SAM and ran that personnel combination throughout the game. The entire scheme was to push a passing attack into the flats, leaving six and sometimes only five men in the box to face a Nevada offense that had more run than anticipated. Most of Nevada's longer runs came against a five-man box, which is always going to be tough on a defense. Once Hank had some time to digest what Nevada was doing, essentially shutting down Nevada in the second half.

2) I absolutely HATED McCall going into a one-back pro set in both "coming out" situations and in the red zone. We clearly weren't running inside very much with Nevada dedicating seven or eight men to the box, but at least we could find the edge a bit out of our normal spread. The Nevada defense got to compress even further against the single-back set, which further cut down on the lanes Jackson is so good at finding. We tried to run the pro-set stuff last year early and had to abandon it after it proved wholly ineffective. Just run your normal spread stuff, McCall.

3) That said, I think McCall called a pretty good game. While there were clearly more points on the board in the second half, the ball was moving pretty well in the first half as well (albeit with more "empty drives" with the missed chip shot and Skowronek fumble). There were more than a few timely calls (i.e. Jackson flare on third down, well-timed screens against blitzes, Skowronek's fake bubble wheel route, etc.). The same people bitching about predictable play calling would likely be complaining just the same if Jackson didn't get his touches.

4) The number of errors out of a veteran defensive back group is disappointing, especially in the first half. Missed assignments, bad eyes, peeking in the backfield, flat feet... there's really no excuse, especially given how much passing Hank clearly anticipated/prepared to face. McShepard gave up the big plays, but Hartage could have given up a handful if the ball were thrown a little better. Injuries and depth issues aside, there is PLENTY to clean up in the back half if we are going to beat the better teams on our schedule.

5) It's said a lot around here, but Jackson is good. Really good. That might have been the quietest 100-yard game I've seen in a while. Larkin showed some juice as well, flashing very good balance and vision. While I don't know anyone could "replace" Jackson, per se, Larkin was very intriguing in limited run. McGowan also had a little burst on his bubble screen.

6) Slater and Thomas did pretty well for themselves in their first starts at OT. Blocking calls should get easier against more traditional 4-3 or 3-4 teams, which could/should help the entire offensive line but especially the young guys. Still a ways to go, but was pleasantly surprised with our OL after they settled down a bit.

7) Lancaster played very well, showing good leverage for a big guy with good hands. He's going to make money playing this game. Expected a little more out of Thompson, who didn't really do much. The defensive game plan was pretty vanilla, but didn't see much out of the DEs either. Hank might have to reach into his bag of tricks sooner than he would like to generate a pass rush against better offensive lines. Interestingly Warren Long was lined up at DE in some passing situations; not sure if that was game planned against the anticipated "air raid" or a sign of more to come.

8) Absolutely loved Thorson taking over in the fourth quarter ("winning time"), standing in and delivering strikes. Showed a lot of ability and a lot of guts.

While the score was certainly closer than we would have liked, I didn't see anything against Nevada to change my thoughts on this team. Injuries at corner are worrisome, but I still think this is a very capable football team with stars at key positions. If the OL continues to gel and we get a little more out of our DL, we can play with anyone on our schedule.

Great notes. Agree, not changing my outlook/expectations for this season after Nevada.

Beat Duke.

Reactions: rmndcat

Thanks for doing this again GCG. Always helpful and insightful

Does the 4-2-5 with KQ at SAM explain why we getting gashed on runs inside? Is the backside nearly always the weakside, which would implicated the WIL more on those backside gashes?

Yes, it was actually more like a 4-1-6 (by alignment) much of the time. That's a lot of open space for 1 LB with no leverage/funnel on a down hill running RB.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Does the 4-2-5 with KQ at SAM explain why we getting gashed on runs inside? Is the backside nearly always the weakside, which would implicated the WIL more on those backside gashes?

It was more that the box was essentially empty. Five guys to face the run is always going to be tough for a defense. Hank was basically daring them to run, which they did with occasional success.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Slater and Thomas did pretty well for themselves in their first starts at OT. Blocking calls should get easier against more traditional 4-3 or 3-4 teams, which could/should help the entire offensive line but especially the young guys. Still a ways to go, but was pleasantly surprised with our OL after they settled down a bit.

Thanks for your observations.

When I watched the game the second time around, I tried to look at the OL, and the rotating right tackles Slater and Vogel in particular. The encouraging thing to me was that neither one rarely seemed overwhelmed and won their one-on-one battles. They had some problems when the scheme got confusing with the Nevada 3-3-5 but it seemed the interior guys were the most confused. I think we got two good ones in Slater and Vogel.

Reactions: AlvinMack
Thanks for your observations.

When I watched the game the second time around, I tried to look at the OL, and the rotating right tackles Slater and Vogel in particular. The encouraging thing to me was that neither one rarely seemed overwhelmed and won their one-on-one battles. They had some problems when the scheme got confusing with the Nevada 3-3-5 but it seemed the interior guys were the most confused. I think we got two good ones in Slater and Vogel.

The 3-3-5 is essentially designed to confuse the opposing interior OL by "stacking" LBs behind DL (increasing the difficulty in making the correct line calls) and continually bringing LBs on designed run blitzes (attempting to disrupt assignments).

Evidently, Moe played OK?

Evidently, Moe played OK?

Didn't really play all that much and wasn't really tested from what I recall. Would still expect that someone like Queiro would shift out to CB in an emergency situation rather than running Moe out there for an extended duration.

Did Brown play DE on the last few possessions---if so, isn't this significant?

Yes he did, though didn't have much impact. It means the coaches think he's ready to contribute at a pretty thin position, but doesn't mean we should expect him to come in and be a game changer.

But I thought the 3-3-5 was the Colby Cheese defense. Now everybody's talking about how good it is.

Didn't really play all that much and wasn't really tested from what I recall. Would still expect that someone like Queiro would shift out to CB in an emergency situation rather than running Moe out there for an extended duration.
I was really surprised Nevada did not try to throw at the "new guy". Seemed like an oversight by them, especially since they had tried to go deep a few times earlier in the game.

They did do a good job of recognizing that Bullock was hurt and threw at him in the end zone. Thankfully, that one was incomplete.

Yes he did, though didn't have much impact. It means the coaches think he's ready to contribute at a pretty thin position, but doesn't mean we should expect him to come in and be a game changer.
Thanks for your insights. Greatly appreciated.

I was really surprised Nevada did not try to throw at the "new guy". Seemed like an oversight by them, especially since they had tried to go deep a few times earlier in the game.

They did do a good job of recognizing that Bullock was hurt and threw at him in the end zone. Thankfully, that one was incomplete.

That was a great sequence where the receiver saw Bullock was hurt and was doing everything to get the QB's attention and did. He then ran to the endzone where Bullock ran him out as he made the catch.

But I thought the 3-3-5 was the Colby Cheese defense. Now everybody's talking about how good it is.
If you run a 3-3-5 with linemen like Barry Cofield, Loren Howard, John Gill, Luis Castillo, David Ngene, Corey Wootton, Corbin Bryant, and Adam Hahn on your roster, you probably deserve a trip to the psych ward.

Reactions: DaCat
If you run a 3-3-5 with linemen like Barry Cofield, Loren Howard, John Gill, Luis Castillo, David Ngene, Corey Wootton, Corbin Bryant, and Adam Hahn on your roster, you probably deserve a trip to the psych ward.

Ironically, the list of players you put together above are pretty darn well-suited for a 3-3-5 defense; big, strong, mobile, and active enough to command double teams while disrupting the opposing offensive line.

I'd love a three man front of Cofield, Castillo and Wootton, gimme Fitz or A Walk inside. Roach or A Walk and Ifeadi at OLB, with the latter rushing predominantly

It worked in the first half because we had no previous film coming into the game and our blocking assignments were out of synch. On a few plays in the first half, we had 2 or 3 guys blocking one guy while leaving others unblocked. Obviously we adjusted in the second half to hold them to 3 points, after giving up 17 in the first half.

It worked in the first half because we had no previous film coming into the game and our blocking assignments were out of synch. On a few plays in the first half, we had 2 or 3 guys blocking one guy while leaving others unblocked. Obviously we adjusted in the second half to hold them to 3 points, after giving up 17 in the first half.
We adjusted to their 3-3-5 defense so well that it made our defense play better too? Now that's coaching! :p

Reactions: NJCat

Terrific insight. Thank you. Question: how can one spot "bad eyes" in the secondary from a TV replay?

Terrific insight. Thank you. Question: how can one spot "bad eyes" in the secondary from a TV replay?

More about how/if the DB reacts to what's in front of him. Not all that hard to deduce what he's looking at.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT