ADVERTISEMENT

Game thoughts

torque-cat

Dec 11, 2018
1. Cardiac Cats shock the world again! Of course if one play goes the other way and we lose a nail biter, the whole tone and narrative would change but that's what Cardiac Cats are all about. Before the game and during the first quarter I thought Nebraska was going to steamroll us, but somehow we dominated the LOS by the end of the game on both sides. DL I've seen before, but an OL that can maintain a pocket for a non-mobile QB--that's a new one!!

2. We have a QB!! We've always played smart, tough, disciplined, resilient football and the biggest difference in recent years has been whether we had a good QB. We might have one!

3. RB room is as advertised.

4. OL much better than expected.

5. WRs are pretty good--still wait and see if they can get separation against the big boys, but looked fairly solid--good hands, good routes, pretty good athletes. Nobody jumps out as a game-breaker, so we'll need to be very consistent.

6. DL--worked their assess off with the 4 man pass rush all day and great job stuffing the run after the early drives. Can the defensive culture be resurrected post-Hank?

7. LBs--looked solid all around.

8. DBs. We lost our best and for a while our second best DB and yet we still played great pass defense. Our secondary has been deep and impressive for the better part of a decade, despite it being a glaring weak spot in the prior years.

9. ST: Punter is a stud and maybe the MVP of the game? Can he keep it up--seems like he knows what he's doing.

So impressed with Fitz and Co. When you consider our facilities, the recruiting momentum we have, the big ten media contracts recently signed and Northwestern's unique position in college football--top private academic school with excellent football program in one of the 2 most lucrative conferences we may be nicely positioned into the future. If we can leverage the Chicago market for NIL purposes, then we are on to something!

Re: WR - I remember Kirtz being targeted only once, and I don’t think he had a catch. So yeah, I feel pretty good about the WR room.

Defense looks porous to me.

Pass rush was mediocre, though their mobile QB was able to outrun some pressure.
Coverage was a bit shaky and we didn't get flagged for PI as much as we could have been...
Gave up to many large chunks of yardage type plays. But they did seem to firm up at the end of the game when we needed it most- that was great to see...

1. Cardiac Cats shock the world again! Of course if one play goes the other way and we lose a nail biter, the whole tone and narrative would change but that's what Cardiac Cats are all about. Before the game and during the first quarter I thought Nebraska was going to steamroll us, but somehow we dominated the LOS by the end of the game on both sides. DL I've seen before, but an OL that can maintain a pocket for a non-mobile QB--that's a new one!!

2. We have a QB!! We've always played smart, tough, disciplined, resilient football and the biggest difference in recent years has been whether we had a good QB. We might have one!

5. WRs are pretty good--still wait and see if they can get separation against the big boys, but looked fairly solid--good hands, good routes, pretty good athletes. Nobody jumps out as a game-breaker, so we'll need to be very consistent.

6. DL--worked their assess off with the 4 man pass rush all day and great job stuffing the run after the early drives. Can the defensive culture be resurrected post-Hank?

8. DBs. We lost our best and for a while our second best DB and yet we still played great pass defense. Our secondary has been deep and impressive for the better part of a decade, despite it being a glaring weak spot in the prior years.

9. ST: Punter is a stud and maybe the MVP of the game? Can he keep it up--seems like he knows what he's doing.

So impressed with Fitz and Co. When you consider our facilities, the recruiting momentum we have, the big ten media contracts recently signed and Northwestern's unique position in college football--top private academic school with excellent football program in one of the 2 most lucrative conferences we may be nicely positioned into the future. If we can leverage the Chicago market for NIL purposes, then we are on to something!
Navarro might be the gamebreaker at WR. Maybe. Played well, couple of tough catches

Pass rush was mediocre, though their mobile QB was able to outrun some pressure.
Coverage was a bit shaky and we didn't get flagged for PI as much as we could have been...
Gave up to many large chunks of yardage type plays. But they did seem to firm up at the end of the game when we needed it most- that was great to see...
Why don't you just quit watching? If you couldn't find a lot of positives in a win like this, I don't know what to say. Refs let a lot of contact from DBs on both sides go unflagged. Nebraska has a talented quarterback who made a couple of phenomenal plays that added quite a bit to their yardage.

Navarro might be the gamebreaker at WR. Maybe. Played well, couple of tough catches

agree I was impressed with his athleticism.
Navarro is not a game breaker but he showed some great hands and awareness. He could be our go-to possession receiver. It's a shame that Gordon got injured, I felt he was starting to become a dependable target. Washington was solid, Kirtz was disappointing, and was sorry that Dennis and GHP were invisible, as well as Fleurima.

We have the talent and the coaching. The staff has stepped it up. We have looked lethargic during our opening games for the past several seasons, especially last season. Fitz and co had the boys very focused and ready. I just hope they can also keep the guys grounded and keep building momentum going into BIG play. Stay healthy and this can be a special season!!! Go Cats!!!!!!

I agree with everything you said except for part of Number 1. Seems to me lots of things went wrong and the Cats overcame them. This to me may be the most hopeful sign that this is a good team.

We have the talent and the coaching. The staff has stepped it up. We have looked lethargic during our opening games for the past several seasons, especially last season. Fitz and co had the boys very focused and ready. I just hope they can also keep the guys grounded and keep building momentum going into BIG play. Stay healthy and this can be a special season!!! Go Cats!!!!!!
Considering how many things were clicking for the Cats in the game, I wish we were not waiting an extra week to play Duke. It's great that the team gets the extra day to enjoy Dublin and environs, but we hopefully don't lose momentum after a very impressive win. We outplayed and out-coached a team that some pundits thought could win the BIG west.

Navarro is not a game breaker but he showed some great hands and awareness. He could be our go-to possession receiver. It's a shame that Gordon got injured, I felt he was starting to become a dependable target. Washington was solid, Kirtz was disappointing, and was sorry that Dennis and GHP were invisible, as well as Fleurima.
One game sample - Navarro seemed to have an intense desire to get the ball. Like, aggressive or something.

Reactions: StreamCat

Actually don’t think so.
Thought the D Line played pretty well, and had pretty consistent pressure all game long!

Actually don’t think so.
Thought the D Line played pretty well, and had pretty consistent pressure all game long!
D Line didn’t get much pressure very early on. Then we started to, and Thompson responded to it very well. In the meantime they weren’t able to run that well. Then we continued to apply some pressure, and cracks in his game started to open up. On both sides, the trenches gradually told the tale.

I don't know what more he could have done to impress you. He made TWO All-American-level catches in the first half that kept NU in the game, one a TD. Biggest surprise of the day was how good Donny is. Way good.

I saw those two great catches, especially the first one in traffic on 3rd and long. It was our first clutch play on offense of the game. Got us going.

I'll just say that, that's what very good Big Ten receivers do, regularly make those plays. And we haven't had the receivers who do that the last five, six years.... except Nagel, RCB, and Robinson for just one year. Game breaker? I'll agree with DaCat. But if he keeps playing like today, later on this season I'm going to ask Corbi how much he likes Mr. Navarro now.

D Line didn’t get much pressure very early on. Then we started to, and Thompson responded to it very well. In the meantime they weren’t able to run that well. Then we continued to apply some pressure, and cracks in his game started to open up. On both sides, the trenches gradually told the tale.
That's pretty spot on. They were under 4 yard per carry for the game.

Run the ball and stop the run appears to be the way Fitz wants to win games. Hopefully the formula holds well in the new college football paradigm.

I don't know what more he could have done to impress you. He made TWO All-American-level catches in the first half that kept NU in the game, one a TD. Biggest surprise of the day was how good Donny is. Way good.
Don't get me wrong, I was VERY impressed with Navarro today. I guess it really boils down to how you define "game breaker".

All the Northwestern players were clearly holding on that play including the QB. Damn Irish refs!!
Well, you can't fault them too much. When they agreed to host a football game, they actually took it to mean "soccer" like the rest of the world. When they tried to yellow card our players, they were in a stupor on how to use the yellow cloths they were given and just called it a day.

Reactions: mountaindrew

I'm a glass half full guy and actually believe this team may be the most well-rounded talented team we have ever had.

That said, the big plays need to get cleaned up.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT