ADVERTISEMENT

Game watch parties nationwide

villox,

C'mon down! We'll miss you at this game my friend.

Sadly, I have a wedding to attend in Chicago on NYE. I looked for ways to attend but short of flying private, which I cannot afford, there's no way.

We have a room booked at Sevens in Breckenridge, CO. Anyone out here in the mountains should swing by!

Sadly, I have a wedding to attend in Chicago on NYE. I looked for ways to attend but short of flying private, which I cannot afford, there's no way.
What a rude asshole!!! Dear all my friends and family, please give up everything you'd want to do on new years and attend an event in honor of me!!!

I'm sorry, but I'm wedding-ed out. I'm so tired of these tributes to one's self-or one couple's self. It's like everyone else in the world is supposed to drop everything because this one event (which statistics say should be more than 1 event) is so important that everything revolves around you. Guess what... it doesn't.

Reactions: phatcat
Shakes is tired of having to find dates for weddings, apparently.

Anyone gonna be in STL or know of a watch party?

Reactions: Fitz51
What a rude asshole!!! Dear all my friends and family, please give up everything you'd want to do on new years and attend an event in honor of me!!!

I'm sorry, but I'm wedding-ed out. I'm so tired of these tributes to one's self-or one couple's self. It's like everyone else in the world is supposed to drop everything because this one event (which statistics say should be more than 1 event) is so important that everything revolves around you. Guess what... it doesn't.

Scheduling a wedding on a holiday is rude. I think NYE is an exception. Figuring out NYE plans is kinda a pain in the butt (unless you expect to be traveling to a NYD bowl, which when I accepted said invite I was not), so having a place to go eat and drink for free ain't bad. And I'd have canceled for Rose or higher.

Having planned a wedding, I'll fill you in on a secret: unless you're REALLY close with them, like immediate family or best friends, the couple probably doesn't care if you can't make it. Might even be hoping you decline and save them some $$$.

Scheduling a wedding on a holiday is rude. I think NYE is an exception. Figuring out NYE plans is kinda a pain in the butt (unless you expect to be traveling to a NYD bowl, which when I accepted said invite I was not), so having a place to go eat and drink for free ain't bad. And I'd have canceled for Rose or higher.

Having planned a wedding, I'll fill you in on a secret: unless you're REALLY close with them, like immediate family or best friends, the couple probably doesn't care if you can't make it. Might even be hoping you decline and save them some $$$.

This, folks, is a man with his priorities in order. Your heart's in the right place, Villox.

Reactions: Fitz51

I don't mind weddings and I am hosting my daughter's next year (same day as the WMU opener), but I understand Shakes' point - please try to have your date at a time that isn't inconvenient for everyone else on the planet, no matter how cutesy it is for you.

In our case, my one and only daughter (and her fiance') asked us if they could get married on that day - it is our anniversary. How could we turn down that request? Even though the reception is in...Wilmette...on the day of the game...

I have been casually joking that there will be time between the ceremony and the reception to get over to Ryan Field for the second half, but, somehow, my wife finds that un-funny.

As for game watches, I hear there is this massive one at Raymond James Stadium, and all of you have my personal invitation to attend - at your expense, of course.

Reactions: ricko654321
I don't mind weddings and I am hosting my daughter's next year (same day as the WMU opener), but I understand Shakes' point - please try to have your date at a time that isn't inconvenient for everyone else on the planet, no matter how cutesy it is for you.

In our case, my one and only daughter (and her fiance') asked us if they could get married on that day - it is our anniversary. How could we turn down that request? Even though the reception is in...Wilmette...on the day of the game...

I have been casually joking that there will be time between the ceremony and the reception to get over to Ryan Field for the second half, but, somehow, my wife finds that un-funny.

As for game watches, I hear there is this massive one at Raymond James Stadium, and all of you have my personal invitation to attend - at your expense, of course.

Why would she find that unfunny, Phat? Wouldn't have killed her to have been the one to have suggested that in the first place.

Reactions: rmndcat

I have a huge family and there are lots of weddings. I get that when you're planning a wedding, you often feel obligated to invite friends, work buddies... and that you'd rather save a buck and have them not show up. When it's family, it's a bit more dicey. The people getting married may not notice you're not there as I hear weddings are whirlwind... on the other hand, when their grandma is sitting around with my grandma talking... little more dicey.

I've skipped one ceremony and made it to the reception only. I've watched 2 away games before and after the ceremonies on my phone. I had a wedding that I was in, and it had to be moved because the initial date being talked about was the 2012 Iowa game. We cleverly made some excuses to shuffle around the date because certain other things would be unavailable. I would've been blunt about. My family works around Notre Dame games, Northwestern games are as important if not more important to me than their school's games are to them. I don't see why one gets worked around while the other nobody cares about.

Leaning toward Tommy Nevin's in Evanston. Only other time I was there was for the Gator Bowl win. Not sure I'm comfortable messing with mojo like that. ;)

The destination wedding has quickly become the desperation wedding, as in desperation for attention... As if your family and friends won't show up to your hometown church? So you have to show them how glamorous you are by having your wedding in Tahiti, when anybody who really knows you knows you'd rather have it at the Nite 'N Gale? Shakes is right. These things suck. They're preposterously rude, narcissistic and desperate.

The destination wedding has quickly become the desperation wedding, as in desperation for attention... As if your family and friends won't show up to your hometown church? So you have to show them how glamorous you are by having your wedding in Tahiti, when anybody who really knows you knows you'd rather have it at the Nite 'N Gale? Shakes is right. These things suck. They're preposterously rude, narcissistic and desperate.

You haven't figured out the people who invited you to a destination wedding knew you wouldn't go?

Reactions: NUCat320
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT