ADVERTISEMENT

Gates is gone

I'm just not sure how anyone can think that a promotion to a top SEC school that has won multiple national championships is in any way a black mark on our program. This is exactly what we should want to see out of our coaching staff, and is exactly what everyone has been bitching about regarding the football staff for years. Newsflash, we're not a top-10 destination program yet for coaches, so we should want our assistants to aspire to do exactly what Baldwin and Gates have done.

Agreed.. just hope that's all that it is. I'm a firm supporter of Chris Collins, and to me being a part of the next level of success would seem very attractive. But I don't know Gates and his personal situation. Maybe he's sick of recruiting a limited pool of players who actually want to play school while also playing hoops, who knows?

... we're not a top-10 destination program yet for coaches, so we should want our assistants to aspire to do exactly what Baldwin and Gates have done.

Don't forget ND assistant Ryan Humphrey started on the NU staff. Chris Quinn also went from the NU bench to several seasons on the Miami Heat bench.

Yes, one more assistant with a little stability would be nice, however, this isn't a real problem.

Agreed.. just hope that's all that it is. I'm a firm supporter of Chris Collins, and to me being a part of the next level of success would seem very attractive. But I don't know Gates and his personal situation. Maybe he's sick of recruiting a limited pool of players who actually want to play school while also playing hoops, who knows?
It's just that this is the standard progression of coaches in college basketball, and people are trying to ascribe something nefarious to it when there's no "there" there. Assistant at small school > assistant at major school > head coach at small school > head coach at major school. For Gates, he just added in an assistant at more major school before he will inevitably get his next position in a few years as a head coach at a major school. I don't think anyone has begrudged Tavaras Hardy for taking the same path.

... So, Was he pushed out?

I think he was given an ultimatum: Keep your scholarship and take a medical retirement, or transfer and try to play elsewhere.

I'm not crazy about the way the Isiah departure went also. Unfortunately, that's part of the business.

However, as the Vassar situation demonstrates, there really is no ultimatum for the scholarship - only for playing time. These guys DO have recourse especially with the NU promise of a four-year scholarship.

The player has to show some cahones, and unlike Vassar, play it smart. Smile, tell Collins you're devoted to the program. Collins will probably give you some BS. Tell him you're sorry he feels that way, but you're ready to work and you're choosing to stay. There are programs littered all over the country with success stories from this situation. This was an annual right of passage at IU under Knight.

Of course, each player needs to understand he may eventually be the last guy off the bench. That's the chance he takes. But pretend to be devoted to the program and get that NU degree. Otherwise, you're transferring for basketball reasons and I really don't sympathize with a stronger need for playing time. It's a competition that you lost. Welcome to the world.

Nobody is forced out. They allow themselves to be forced out.

With all that said, the NCAA really needs to tackle this practice.

I'm not crazy about the way the Isiah departure went also. Unfortunately, that's part of the business.

However, as the Vassar situation demonstrates, there really is no ultimatum for the scholarship - only for playing time. These guys DO have recourse especially with the NU promise of a four-year scholarship.

The player has to show some cahones, and unlike Vassar, play it smart. Smile, tell Collins you're devoted to the program. Collins will probably give you some BS. Tell him you're sorry he feels that way, but you're ready to work and you're choosing to stay. There are programs littered all over the country with success stories from this situation. This was an annual right of passage at IU under Knight.

Of course, each player needs to understand he may eventually be the last guy off the bench. That's the chance he takes. But pretend to be devoted to the program and get that NU degree. Otherwise, you're transferring for basketball reasons and I really don't sympathize with a stronger need for playing time. It's a competition that you lost. Welcome to the world.

Any time you have to draw a comparison to the way Bobby Knight ran his program at Indiana, then you know you have a problem.

It's just that this is the standard progression of coaches in college basketball, and people are trying to ascribe something nefarious to it when there's no "there" there. Assistant at small school > assistant at major school > head coach at small school > head coach at major school. For Gates, he just added in an assistant at more major school before he will inevitably get his next position in a few years as a head coach at a major school. I don't think anyone has begrudged Tavaras Hardy for taking the same path.
Your absolutely right. I’m down here in Naples most of the year now and go to FGCU games as often as I can. We had Andy Enfield, who took us to the sweet sixteen, came from Florida State and is now at Southern Cal. Joe Dooley, came from Kansas got us to the tourney twice and now is at East Carolina. The new guy, I think his name is James Fly, came from Florida after some time with the Magic.

There just seems to be more mid majors down here than up north.

He'd been at NU through five seasons.

Collins brought in another assistant last year who may have been given more authority.

Gates took a job at a higher level with a team that's won two national championships in the last 15 or so years.

There's nothing bad in any of that.

Exactly. The guy got a promotion to a bigger program, and I'm sure a hefty raise. I don't think that indicates something is amiss. When Billy Donlan left Michigan to come to Northwestern, did that indicate something was wrong with Beilein's program?
If that is a program that has something wrong indicated by an assistant leaving, can I have some of that?

I don’t troll. I’ve been uncomfortable with the things that came out about Vassar and from where I sit, it sure looks like Collins drove Brown out because the kid fell out of favor for some reason. These are things you hear about other programs, not NU. This is exactly the type of behavior you don’t see from FItz and see from guys that I think are unethical like Harbaugh. Perhaps these are isolated incidents but I have some concerns and chose to express them on this board. Is that not allowed?
As I recall, he things that seemed negative about the Vassar situation were basically after he announced that he was going to transfer and then did not. That would obviously create friction. Brown never seemed to buy into the scheme Collins wanted to run. With Rap a bunch on this board were thinking he would retire for medical reasons. With the injuries, he was likely behind a bunch of guys and may have just felt he needed a fresh start. The fact that both Baldwin and Gates got higher level opportunities indicates that Collins was good at assembling quality guys around him.

I am not saying that there is no chance of any problems. Just saying there is also a pretty good chance that your concerns are not warranted

I understand this line of thought... but this departure does bother me a little. Being on the CC staff should have no less bearing on his path to a HC position, as seen by Pat Baldwin. If he left because of a significantly bigger payday, it is understandable although perhaps a bit short-sighted. If there were some issues with Chris... then that does bother me.
To get a HC gig you likely have to be the top AC. If that was not happening here, making a move to get that # 1 assistant position would be a move he needed to make

Don't forget ND assistant Ryan Humphrey started on the NU staff. Chris Quinn also went from the NU bench to several seasons on the Miami Heat bench.

Yes, one more assistant with a little stability would be nice, however, this isn't a real problem.
As long as CCC can find solid replacements

I think you had your progression signs reversed
Assistant at small school < assistant at major school < head coach at small school <head coach at major school.

Did Vassar not play it smart? He got his education at NU for free and didn't have to put in the hours to get it

Reactions: Bwm57
Did Vassar not play it smart? He got his education at NU for free and didn't have to put in the hours to get it

That's not what was dumb. I almost commend him for that.

Vassar almost screwed himself by publicly announcing he was leaving, then "changing his mind."

That's not what was dumb. I almost commend him for that.

Vassar almost screwed himself by publicly announcing he was leaving, then "changing his mind."

Seems like there were no welcoming arms waiting for him as a basketball player elsewhere. Maybe his mind was changed for him.

Takes a special kinda guy to hang 4 years as a failed basketball player only to sue the university that gave you a degree. Anxious to see this suit go where it's going to go.

Reactions: willycat
I think when top national programs come looking at your assistant coaches it is a sign your program is going in the right direction.

One correction...Bryan Mullins is the young coach at Loyola. His Dad is Mike, and runs the Illinois Wolves. His older brother Brendan is actually an assistant at Illinois State as well.

I grew up down the street from the Mullins’ and used to play basketball in their backyard all the time. When I was 12 and Bryan was about 6, I was way better than him ;). That didn’t last long.

We all know that this position will be filled by an African American hire, plain and simple. Mullins does not meet the criteria

With his reputation as a recruiter, I wonder if Gates' parting gift to NU was Ryan Taylor? Wonder who the main recruiter was for landing Taylor over an impressive list of suitors?

Looks like AJ Guyton was in the home visit with EJ Liddell. Not sure if temporary or a sign of things to come:

Until CC makes an official hire they can have 4 guys on the road recruiting so AJ may be getting promoted or just be filling the spot for the recruiting session and CC will hire someone else soon and AJ will be back to his Operations role

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT