ADVERTISEMENT

GAZ to the Chargers

Nice pickup for Chargers. I’ll ask same question I did on the Rock. Has a Big Ten players with 30 sacks for his career ever not gotten drafted? Seems unlikely but wondering if there’s ever been such a dominant rusher in conference who wasn’t drafted.

Nice pickup for Chargers. I’ll ask same question I did on the Rock. Has a Big Ten players with 30 sacks for his career ever not gotten drafted? Seems unlikely but wondering if there’s ever been such a dominant rusher in conference who wasn’t drafted.

Baffling. Tells me that NFL scouts are rewarded on measureables, not assessing game talent. Less likely to be criticized when you recommend a 4.3 guy vs a 4.4, regardless of who understands the game better. Doesn't matter. From Joe's perspective trying out in LA better than a lot of other destinations.

Reactions: rmndcat
No. Only 2 other B1G players since 2005 have 30 sacks: Ryan Kerrigan (33.5) and Chase Young (30.5).

Baffling. Tells me that NFL scouts are rewarded on measureables, not assessing game talent. Less likely to be criticized when you recommend a 4.3 guy vs a 4.4, regardless of who understands the game better. Doesn't matter. From Joe's perspective trying out in LA better than a lot of other destinations.

The best college player we have seen at NU (Fitz) was undersized and undrafted and was an NFL bust. You need size *and* talent to play at a higher level. Generally, of course. There are exceptions everywhere.

Reactions: Titanium999
Best to Gaz and this is probably one of those situations where having a say in which team one goes to trumps getting picked in a late round.

This from SBNation:

The Chargers have been the most well-known team to consistently find success with their undrafted free agents. The franchise is currently on a streak of 20+ years with an undrafted player making the final 53-man roster. Current UDFAs who are starters and/or significant contributors for the Bolts right now include running back Austin Ekeler, cornerbacks Michael Davis and Brandon Facyson, safety Roderic Teamer, and offensive tackle Trent Scott. Notable UDFAs from the past include safety Jahleel Addae and the legendary Antonio Gates

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2020/4/25/21236216/chargers-nfl-draft-udfa-tracker

Reactions: corbi296
He's too slow off the edge to play a 4-3 rush and too small to be a 3-4 OLB. It's not exactly rocket science. I love gaz and he was awesome, but he was always a long shot to get drafted.

He's probably better off picking where to go anyways opposed to get drafted late.

Reactions: hdhntr1
He's too slow off the edge to play a 4-3 rush and too small to be a 3-4 OLB. It's not exactly rocket science. I love gaz and he was awesome, but he was always a long shot to get drafted.

He's probably better off picking where to go anyways opposed to get drafted late.

Gaz is 6"4 and 275lbs. He is not too small to play a 3-4 OLB. He is not agile enough to play in space as a 3-4 OLB. Some may feel he is too small to play 5 technique DE in a 3-4 but that is where I think he ultimately ends up after he "works out" with Bosa for a season or two.

Gaz is 6"4 and 275lbs. He is not too small to play a 3-4 OLB. He is not agile enough to play in space as a 3-4 OLB. Some may feel he is too small to play 5 technique DE in a 3-4 but that is where I think he ultimately ends up after he "works out" with Bosa for a season or two.

This is what I meant to say yes

Nice writeup including quotes from Gaziano in the Boston Herald:

“At the end of the day, I get an opportunity to go out there and transition from college to the NFL and get to be in a camp and play professional football, which is an outstanding opportunity that very few people get. I’m not going to take that for granted.”

Gaziano, who was projected to be a late-round selection, started to shift his attention toward free agency and feel out his market beginning in the sixth round.

The Chargers, who had some contact with Gaziano during the pre-draft process, snatched up the former Xaverian standout shortly after the conclusion of the final pick and Gaziano feels he’ll fit well with the franchise that is moving into a new stadium for the upcoming season.

“It was a long day. Staring at the TV for quite a long time,” Gaziano said. “You can’t help but compare yourself to the guys you see flying off the board. At the end of the day, I’m happy to be with a great organization, in a great city, with a great new home.”

Gaziano hopes to bring some of that production with him to the pros, while getting a chance to learn from two of the premiere defensive ends in the league in Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram.

“Great opportunity to get on the field there,” Gaziano said. “Joey Bosa is one of the best defensive lineman in the league, so it’ll be good to be in the same room as him and learn from the best to hopefully go out and make an impact on the field.”

While Gaziano didn’t get drafted like he had hoped, he still ended up with what he ultimately wanted when he started the draft process, and that’s just a chance to prove he belongs.

“I’m excited to have a shot and have an opportunity where in camp I’ll have a helmet on and some shoulder pads,” Gaziano said, “and play the game that I love and continue my journey with the game of football.”

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/0...west-signs-free-agent-contract-with-chargers/

The best college player we have seen at NU (Fitz) was undersized and undrafted and was an NFL bust. You need size *and* talent to play at a higher level. Generally, of course. There are exceptions everywhere.

I actually think Barry Gardener who came right after Fitz was a more dominant player in college, had the same kind of irrepressible desire, nose for the ball, but with a bit more speed and power. BG went 2nd round to the Eagles based on his college play and got some run in the NFL, but ultimately wasn't fast enough to play in space which limited his career. I'm sure he's doing well for himself, that guy was literally everywhere on the field and on campus back then. He walked on, worked a side job, I think did well in class and was at a lot of social gatherings. Unbelievable.

Reactions: hdhntr1 and DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT