ADVERTISEMENT

Gaz

Gaz has been a force on the field for a couple of years now. It's hard to believe he won't be stronger and smarter this year and I'd say the supporting cast will be just as good or maybe even better. Add into the equation that relative to him all his opponents will be younger and less experienced than he has faced in the past.
I'm pretty excited about the 2019 D.

Two potential first-round draft choices from our defense that's awesome if it happens, even if it doesn't they'll both be drafted in early rounds

CBS Sports has published a dopey 2020 mock draft. Of interest to NU fans is they see Joe Gaz going in the first round at pick 20. Looking for a big season from Gaz!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...und-as-patriots-draft-tom-bradys-replacement/

He’s as clutch a pass rusher as I’ve seen at NU. He doesn’t look the part of freakish athlete NFL DE, so I doubt first round but if he improves on what he’s already doing I could see mid-round pick. We tend to overestimate our guys in the draft.

He’s as clutch a pass rusher as I’ve seen at NU. He doesn’t look the part of freakish athlete NFL DE, so I doubt first round but if he improves on what he’s already doing I could see mid-round pick. We tend to overestimate our guys in the draft.

Yeah, I guess we (I mean CBS) sure do.

Reactions: Bwm57
These lists are fun to flip through from time to time.

Walker Little at #6 is a former NU target from Houston. It would have been good to have him in purple, but we will see him lined up against the 'Cats in a few months in the season opener.

Grant Delpit at #19 is fun to see. He's a family friend, and I remember seeing him running around the backyard as a kid. Makes me feel old.

Lorenzo Neal at #26 is another Houston guy, and he played with Grant for a year in high school. You may also remember him as the guy who committed the dumb personal foul at the end of the NU - Purdue game last year, which iced the game for the 'Cats.

We'll also see #32, the Stanford QB, in a few months. Should be a great game. Go 'Cats!

Reactions: drewjin
Think he works out of the DT position at all this year? Feels like he has the size to play either end or tackle?

Think he works out of the DT position at all this year? Feels like he has the size to play either end or tackle?
Anybody want to weigh in on how playing a significant amount of DT would effect his Draft choices?

Walter Camp says rounds 2-4 for Gaz. At this point, lots of conjecture about him.

What seems less speculative is the departure of AJ Epensa for the League after his junior year at Iowa. He really broke out in his sophomore season with 10.5 sacks and a bunch of other havoc metrics.

Reactions: ricko654321
Probably a 3-4 DE, similar to Lowry.
Yeah that's what I would think. I wouldn't think he has the measurables to justify a 1st round pick for that position, but the Round 2-4 range quoted above seems pretty doable for him based on his performance last year and one more potential year of development.

Hoping Paddy can maintain / improve his play this year and go pro as our first 1st rounder since Castillo (and Napo a few years prior).

Gaz doesn’t read like the prototypical DE in the pros, does he? Does he run under a 5 in the 40?
Probably a 3-4 DE, similar to Lowry.
Agreed if he bulks up a bit. However if he lost his bad weight this offseason, he might be able to make it work as a 4-3 DE. He has a bit of a tummy (not judging as I do too </new dad weight>).

I know this is said about most of our draftable players, but it’d be great to see him on the Patriots - or another really smart defensive system - that knows how to utilize high-motor & versatile defensive linemen.

Agreed if he bulks up a bit. However if he lost his bad weight this offseason, he might be able to make it work as a 4-3 DE. He has a bit of a tummy (not judging as I do too </new dad weight>).

I know this is said about most of our draftable players, but it’d be great to see him on the Patriots - or another really smart defensive system - that knows how to utilize high-motor & versatile defensive linemen.

Gaz has been a bit of a “bad body” guy since day one, but gets by on technique and motor. May not add up to being an early draft pick, but is a pretty good recipe for a decent NFL career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT