ADVERTISEMENT

Go after Kafka

I very much doubt they'd hire anyone who was around during Fitz's tenure as HC.

Barnett lololololololololololololololol

Somebody whose coached during the lifetime of his recruits, maybe?

Get the most innovative high school coach in Texas, the Guz Malzahn treatment.

Ha- give me a break. Kafka or anyone else with any real options, is not coming here.

I was one who thought Fitz should be fired (though my stance softened some in the last 36 hours as more and more came out about Richardson and his agenda), but it’s the way that this was handled that was terrible. The leadership of this university just blew with the wind and that led to their decision. Gragg and Schill (especially Gragg) absolutely have to go too.

Reactions: drewjin and NUCats
Not sure if he's smeared with dog crap like the rest of the staff but Braun might be new enough for an interim role.

Not sure if he's smeared with dog crap like the rest of the staff but Braun might be new enough for an interim role.
I think that's about what we should expect, an FCS coordinator to a Big Ten head coach.

I think they need an interim immediately, people laugh about Barnett but he might make sense for 6 months. Gotta get the leaky program to shore
What's the point of an interim if it's an FCS coordinator with no HC experience? And that's the guy who's going to attend Big Ten Media Days and answer all the questions about being in charge of a program that's obviously collapsed? And why would anyone connected to Fitz take the job after this situation? Either they were complicit in what got Fitz fired, or else they're smart enough to realize the university leadership is a disaster.

What's the point of an interim if it's an FCS coordinator with no HC experience? And that's the guy who's going to attend Big Ten Media Days and answer all the questions about being in charge of a program that's obviously collapsed? And why would anyone connected to Fitz take the job after this situation? Either they were complicit in what got Fitz fired, or else they're smart enough to realize the university leadership is a disaster.
Nevertheless, a coach will be named, and I feel it won't be from last year's staff, unless it's JON😀😀

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
Jim Leonard is the best suggestion I've heard but I seriously doubt he would take it. He would need some major stroking and assurances from Pat Ryan and I am not sure Ryan is in any mood to remedy the situation.

Reactions: drewjin and NUCats
Nevertheless, a coach will be named, and I feel it won't be from last year's staff, unless it's JON😀😀
It'll need to be a HC recently fired from a low-level FBS program. No connections to NU. Someone with no possible other options, so probably a coach who's well-traveled or old and looking for one last stop. Who fits this bill?

Reactions: NUCats
It'll need to be a HC recently fired from a low-level FBS program. No connections to NU. Someone with no possible other options, so probably a coach who's well-traveled or old and looking for one last stop. Who fits this bill?
Turner Gill…
The ‘haven’t recruited a quarterback since the Obama presidency’ won’t even be an issue for him.

Laugh if you want, but if you go with an interim who’s not your new DC, I can think of far, far worse options than Lovie Smith.

1) He’s available. 2) No one will question his character. 3) Familiar with the B1G. 4) Just loves to coach football, so he might actually take it. 5) Has been around the sport for so long that if more heads roll, he could actually fill out a viable staff with retreads.

Reactions: drewjin
Turner Gill…
The ‘haven’t recruited a quarterback since the Obama presidency’ won’t even be an issue for him.
He doesn't fit the bill of "recently," but I think you're on the right trail: minority, reputation as squeaky clean, no connections to NU, no other HC coaching options.

Laugh if you want, but if you go with an interim who’s not your new DC, I can think of far, far worse options than Lovie Smith.

1) He’s available. 2) No one will question his character. 3) Familiar with the B1G. 4) Just loves to coach football, so he might actually take it. 5) Has been around the sport for so long that if more heads roll, he could actually fill out a viable staff with retreads.
I'm not laughing at that suggestion. Has pretty much all the same merits as Gill, but with more recent experience in the position with NU's biggest rival and in Chicago with the Bears.

Jim Mora is being rejuvenated at UConn, working some serious miracles last season. I wonder if he'd want to make the jump to the BIG.

Jim Mora is being rejuvenated at UConn, working some serious miracles last season. I wonder if he'd want to make the jump to the BIG.
I think UConn is the better job at this point without sufficient administrative commitment at NU to compete in the NIL landscape. He just won't be able to win with such a talent disparity.

I'm not laughing at that suggestion. Has pretty much all the same merits as Gill, but with more recent experience in the position with NU's biggest rival and in Chicago with the Bears.
Lovie also proved that he is not a good recruiter and that another coach could take basically his same players and put up a much better record. Maybe as an interim coach but we would have to get a permanent HC named sooner rather than later to avoid an even worse erosion of talent.

I think UConn is the better job at this point without sufficient administrative commitment at NU to compete in the NIL landscape. He just won't be able to win with such a talent disparity.
Maybe, but UConn is not in a conference. It's home stadium is as far away from campus as any in the country. And UConn is clearly a basketball school.Also no real tradition in football. I'm surprised he is still here to be honest.

LOL, just go away. I'd rather hire a HS coach.

Maybe, but UConn is not in a conference. It's home stadium is as far away from campus as any in the country. And UConn is clearly a basketball school.Also no real tradition in football. I'm surprised he is still here to be honest.
I didn't mean to imply that the UConn job is good, just that it's better than making an embarrassment of yourself in front of 80,000-100,000 fans on the road in the Big Ten on national TV. And having to answer a whole bunch of incriminating questions from media.

Lovie also proved that he is not a good recruiter and that another coach could take basically his same players and put up a much better record. Maybe as an interim coach but we would have to get a permanent HC named sooner rather than later to avoid an even worse erosion of talent.
The circumstances will prohibit a permanent head coach for some time. I don't even know how the interim will assemble a staff. How can they keep all the assistant coaches if Fitz was supposed to stop the hazing?

If we're looking for an actually good coach who recently came out of retirement, I would say Jerry Kill, but the stress of this job would probably be bad for his health.

HS coach at Lake Forest? Wouldn't it be more relevant to say he was a GA at NU and the OC at ND after finishing his playing career as an Illinois HS QB and ND QB? Not a bad suggestion though.
He won't be leaving the Bama job before even calling a play. Leaving Saban and taking NU under these circumstances would destroy his career at the outset.

I'd have no complaints about Lovie as a 1-year interim. Honestly, he's overqualified.

LOL, just go away. I'd rather hire a HS coach.
I mean, we went through a similar thing with Beckman. Lovie followed that mess and legitimized the program for a short while before he started losing way too much. Decent guy, can identify talent, but is a stubborn football coach.

Don’t want this to devolve into a Lovie/Illinois thread. Just thought it was an interesting suggestion for an interim. Go hire a HS coach, that’s fine with me too.

The circumstances will prohibit a permanent head coach for some time. I don't even know how the interim will assemble a staff. How can they keep all the assistant coaches if Fitz was supposed to stop the hazing?
It's a mess. No doubt about it. I can't really even picture what the best solution might be. The easiest and quickest way forward is to make Coach Jake interim HC but he has been here long enough to be tainted by the scandal. The new DC? Straight from FCS to B1G HC?
I am at a loss.

I mean, we went through a similar thing with Beckman. Lovie followed that mess and legitimized the program for a short while before he started losing way too much. Decent guy, can identify talent, but is a stubborn football coach.

Don’t want this to devolve into a Lovie/Illinois thread. Just thought it was an interesting suggestion for an interim. Go hire a HS coach, that’s fine with me too.
Lovie has no business being a college head coach. None.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT