ADVERTISEMENT

Go after Kafka

It's a mess. No doubt about it. I can't really even picture what the best solution might be. The easiest and quickest way forward is to make Coach Jake interim HC but he has been here long enough to be tainted by the scandal. The new DC? Straight from FCS to B1G HC?
I am at a loss.
it’s either the new DC as interim with no prior program ties or you make a run at someone from the outside with no NU ties like Leonard (unlikely) or Sean Lewis, the former underrated head coach at Kent State who just took the OC job with Deion Sanders at Colorado.

It's a mess. No doubt about it. I can't really even picture what the best solution might be. The easiest and quickest way forward is to make Coach Jake interim HC but he has been here long enough to be tainted by the scandal. The new DC? Straight from FCS to B1G HC?
I am at a loss.
A flicker of light in the darkness: @GlideCat is back!

Sad that it’s under these circumstances

Reactions: stpaulcat
I am at a loss.
I don't see how anyone on the current staff can stay. Student media will just keep asking "what did you know and when did you know it and even if you didn't know you're still accountable according to the president who fired your boss." Maybe the guys just hired from FCS get some kind of pass? Even then you can't put them before media with no experience. Under these circumstances they can't win.

A flicker of light in the darkness: @GlideCat is back!

Sad that it’s under these circumstances
Thank you, NUCat. The community of crazy diehard NU fans is too small to not band together when the University administration is striking a match on the Hindenburg.

While Kafka would be the ideal candidate (young, innovative O mind), don't see why he would ever depart the soon to be NFL HC train (get a sense that Kafka wouldn't enjoy the BS that comes with re recruiting).

The job still remains what it is - one of the tougher P5 (and potentially P2) jobs, but still highly desirable since there just aren't that many around, and only a handful are in places where a coach and his family aren't stuck in some boonie college town.

Making millions while living somewhere in the North Shore - that's a damn fine life.

I wouldn't want to put Kafka through the next few years here.

Find some highly qualified outsider, pay them well, clean up the program (might have to clean out the assistants if any of them knew or should have known or their units were involved).

Braun is a temporary solution, we need an experienced hand past this season (especially if the stadium rebuild goes through which will lead to another factor to deal with).

Next couple of seasons are going to be at the highest possible difficulty, whoever coaches here may not survive it. I wouldn't put that on Kafka.

Jim Leonard is the best suggestion I've heard but I seriously doubt he would take it. He would need some major stroking and assurances from Pat Ryan and I am not sure Ryan is in any mood to remedy the situation.

For this season I doubt you get a sitting HC to move, even from the MAC. Just too late in the game. Have to find guys currently out of a full time job or maybe a coordinator.

Jim Leonard would be the dream hire, but probably wouldn’t touch the situation with a 10-foot pole, IMO. I think he’s waiting out an NFL DC gig.

David Shaw could work, but left his own alma mater basically because of burnout.

Paul Chryst is the most ideal plausible candidate i can think of. Chryst could see it as his way back into a B1G HC gig, even if just temporary. Wouldn’t have as many issues as he’s an analyst at Texas.

Sean Lewis is another guy I’ve liked for a while and would make sense — local guy, HC experience, knows how to run an offense, and moving from OC to HC would be easier contractually. But I can’t see him doing it unless he thinks it’s his only shot at a B1G HC gig.

Tough to quantify just how toxic the NU job is right now.

^ Job is nowhere as toxic as the PSU job was after Paterno and they ended up with a SB winning OC.

Bigger issue is the poor timing...

I am at a loss.

Jake recruited Richardson. Also was his position coach. Enough said.

Reactions: corbi296 and NUCats
^ Job is nowhere as toxic as the PSU job was after Paterno and they ended up with a SB winning OC.

Bigger issue is the poor timing...

Yes and no. JoePa was fired in 2011, but had been merely a figurehead for quite some time by that point. Multiple administrators at PSU were also canned, giving it a more “clean slate” feel. And that’s before we even get into the academic/admissions and other constraint we have at NU that simply do not apply at other programs.

Mark my words, it is going to be extremely difficult to get high-quality candidates to come to NU to replace Fitz.

Reactions: hdhntr1
What about Mike Singletary?

He's an ordained minister, that might help in this kind of situation. Plus just about all current Illinois HS coaches will send recruits to him just to spend time with him.

it’s either the new DC as interim with no prior program ties or you make a run at someone from the outside with no NU ties like Leonard (unlikely) or Sean Lewis, the former underrated head coach at Kent State who just took the OC job with Deion Sanders at Colorado.
Heard an interesting name I hadn't thought about yesterday: Dan Mullen. He's just doing TV color commentary and collecting his Florida buyout at the moment. Quarterback guy. Originally from PA and NH, so not one of the "I've only ever lived in the South" guys.

Heard an interesting name I hadn't thought about yesterday: Dan Mullen. He's just doing TV color commentary and collecting his Florida buyout at the moment. Quarterback guy. Originally from PA and NH, so not one of the "I've only ever lived in the South" guys.
If I recall correctly, Mullen is or was close with Fitz from their days on the recruiting trail. That might make him less interested in the job.

If I recall correctly, Mullen is or was close with Fitz from their days on the recruiting trail. That might make him less interested in the job.
Practically every coach out there is "close with Fitz". If "close with Fitz" precludes even looking at a guy, NU is going to be limited to high school assistant coaches from Alaska before long.

Practically every coach out there is "close with Fitz". If "close with Fitz" precludes even looking at a guy, NU is going to be limited to high school assistant coaches from Alaska before long.
Nothing precludes NU from looking at anyone. I am referring to a coach’s willingness to consider the job.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Nothing precludes NU from looking at anyone. I am referring to a coach’s willingness to consider the job.
Agreed. if NU was willing to turn their back on Fitz, NU Football's golden boy, for what has transpired, most coaches will wonder how short of a leash they will have at NU. The only reason any coach would consider NU is Big Ten football and a longer leash given the inherent impediments to competing. If that longer leash is no longer there, why would any coach with comparable options consider NU given the academic impediments and the limitations in an NIL environment. They just are not going to.

Lovie also proved that he is not a good recruiter and that another coach could take basically his same players and put up a much better record. Maybe as an interim coach but we would have to get a permanent HC named sooner rather than later to avoid an even worse erosion of talent.
He was a descent enough recruiter. He and his staff just had a hard time putting it together as a cohesive unit

1) Have heard for a long time now that Kafka is a “pro guy” and is already on short list for NFL HC gigs. He ain’t coming.

2) Even if he wanted to, you can’t hire someone with previous ties to the program after how this played out. You just can’t.
He has been gone for what? 10-15 years? Don't see him having been in the program as same problem you do. The impediment is that as you say, he is pro guy and will get his shot. Has never had to do the recruiting that is the lifeblood of college football. THat is bad enough but especially does not need the grief that is current NU FB

Is Adam Crum available?

Agreed. if NU was willing to turn their back on Fitz, NU Football's golden boy, for what has transpired, most coaches will wonder how short of a leash they will have at NU. The only reason any coach would consider NU is Big Ten football and a longer leash given the inherent impediments to competing. If that longer leash is no longer there, why would any coach with comparable options consider NU given the academic impediments and the limitations in an NIL environment. They just are not going to.
Exactly Corbi. Schill and Gragg have lost any ability to lead. They both had their chance and failed. For the good of the University and our athletic programs, they need to be dismissed. We can then start the healing process and rebuild. With regard to hiring a new football coach from outside, strong candidates would not put their careers in the hands of these two (and the Board of Trustees).

Last edited:
Right now, I am rooting for David Braun. If he gets this team to lock arms, play like their hair is on fire and win a few games, it would be quite an accomplishment. Wouldn’t that be something?

Of all the other NU HC's, he's the best.

Too bad the NU search machinery that found him wasn't available 2 years ago. Looks like he has serious coaching skills. And he arrived taking a huge rebuilding job as DC. And now he faces a rebuilding job bigger than all outdoors. NU fans are very thankful to have him.

The Kafka idea was immediately exciting until you see he's already making some $11.6M, more than they pay at duh-OSU, so that's DOA. Some say NU CAN'T hire anyone associated with Fitzgerald because of guilt by association or something. But that would eliminate one of the best hiring ideas to ever hit this board since Kafka: Jason Wright for AD. If only the position had no superincumbent...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT