ADVERTISEMENT

Good article about the return of sports

If we're going to wait for a vaccine to attend sporting events, we're going to be waiting a long, long time. Possibly forever.
I'm pretty optimistic about a vaccine. From what I've heard and read, this should be a pretty antigenic virus. Seeing how the efforts to make a vaccine are multiple and urgent, I bet this gets done more quickly than normal. But, it will still likely be 2021 at the earliest.

Reactions: willycat and DaCat
I'm pretty optimistic about a vaccine. From what I've heard and read, this should be a pretty antigenic virus. Seeing how the efforts to make a vaccine are multiple and urgent, I bet this gets done more quickly than normal. But, it will still likely be 2021 at the earliest.

What do you think about the news out of Oxford yesterday?

If we're going to wait for a vaccine to attend sporting events, we're going to be waiting a long, long time. Possibly forever.
Within a few months,we are going to have a global economic collapse. That may be far worse effects on human life than the Coronavirus itself! That will happen if we keep the status the same till October.

OK, got it. Just let lots more people die , so the trump followers can put some cash in their pockets. Global??? You do realize that counties like Germany, France and Japan and many others are handling the disease and business just fine.
They’re not. We will see a major global financial impact. I’m not advocating opening up but the financial impact is going to be something none of us have seen in our lifetime if we don’t find a way to get the economy moving a bit.

They’re not. We will see a major global financial impact. I’m not advocating opening up but the financial impact is going to be something none of us have seen in our lifetime if we don’t find a way to get the economy moving a bit.

From my personal observations, many B2B companies are still chugging along, but the B2C enterprises are suffering greatly, particularly those without a viable online business model and that rely on discretionary "non-essential" spending. I also suspect we'll see a greater shift to automation and robotics in the future for some businesses.

Reactions: runawayCat
I heard an interview today with some Vegas bookmakers who had heard (I know, all yammering and no source) that the NCAA knows it needs college football to allow its other sports to survive, and would even start a “2020” season in February 2021.

I heard an interview today with some Vegas bookmakers who had heard (I know, all yammering and no source) that the NCAA knows it needs college football to allow its other sports to survive, and would even start a “2020” season in February 2021.
Doubt that happens either!

The Coronavirus is either a game changer pandemic or a hoax! I don't know for sure yet.

Agreed!

I’m not even convinced we’re going to have in person classes next fall. As Jim Phillips says, if you’re not comfortable putting 30 people together in a classroom, you aren’t going to have 22 sweaty guys tackling and slobbering on in each other in scrums. I still say no vaccine, no sports. If one player gets sick you’re going to have to quarantine the whole team.

It's a great start. Multiple efforts are underway, but it does take time to gather the effectiveness data.

Glad to hear it. That's the one with the fastest timeline that I've seen. Obviously, while we all want speed, efficacy and safety are pretty hefty counterweights as well.

Knowing nothing about how any of this works on a technical level, I thought the delivery system from Pitt's efforts was fascinating. Essentially, they impregnate micro needles of sugar with whatever protein or other substance forms the vaccine, and that whole thing goes onto a fingertip patch to go directly into the bloodstream. The sugar dissolves and with it goes the vaccine. Sounds better than a full-on shot to me.

Glad to hear it. That's the one with the fastest timeline that I've seen. Obviously, while we all want speed, efficacy and safety are pretty hefty counterweights as well.

Knowing nothing about how any of this works on a technical level, I thought the delivery system from Pitt's efforts was fascinating. Essentially, they impregnate micro needles of sugar with whatever protein or other substance forms the vaccine, and that whole thing goes onto a fingertip patch to go directly into the bloodstream. The sugar dissolves and with it goes the vaccine. Sounds better than a full-on shot to me.
I'm not familiar with that. Sounds interesting. Of course, you could make the argument that one needle in your arm is better than thousands of needles in your finger!

I'm not familiar with that. Sounds interesting. Of course, you could make the argument that one needle in your arm is better than thousands of needles in your finger!

Yeah, but I only get my sweet tooth satisfied with one of them.

Reactions: TheC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT