ADVERTISEMENT

Got my tickets

T_Levine

May 26, 2010
Only one section was available in north stands.

I was in tier 4 of the purchasing process.

Looks like a lot of the expensive tix are still available. That should send a loud message that the athletic department shouldn’t get greedy with the new stadium.

Also. For those reading. I am needing an additional ticket for the Indiana game.

Thx

Looks like a lot of the expensive tix are still available. That should send a loud message that the athletic department shouldn’t get greedy with the new stadium.

Also. For those reading. I am needing an additional ticket for the Indiana game.

Thx
I got mine on W sideline. But they tend to be expensive. Wasn't willing to pay $750 donation per ticket (between the 20s) where with the ticket price it would have been $1350 per seat for 5 games 4 of which are basically preseason level (counting Indiana in that group) That would be close to $300 per game for basically preseason. But good seats (high enough) basically gone. Highest now are probably row 9. Could have gone to E side but those are so low that could not see much.

Reminds me of trying to get seats at Wrigley. Trying to chose balancing between questionable seats for high prices

Last edited:
Reactions: ParisCat
Probably does not bode well for me getting tickets next week in the North end zone. I guess I will have to try for some individual games or watch on TV.

I have thought about getting tickets to the UM game or Purdue. UM would be a bit closer (I am in West Michigan), but a lot more expensive. Also, UM is a late season game, and I don't want to freeze all that much. My wife would be happy if we went to a couple more MSU games this year.

Probably does not bode well for me getting tickets next week in the North end zone. I guess I will have to try for some individual games or watch on TV.

I have thought about getting tickets to the UM game or Purdue. UM would be a bit closer (I am in West Michigan), but a lot more expensive. Also, UM is a late season game, and I don't want to freeze all that much. My wife would be happy if we went to a couple more MSU games this year.
I think Michigan cost us $80 each high in the end zone just a couple of years ago. High enough that the view was decent.

My dad and I got season tickets just now in section W-28, about 2 rows from the top. There are actually a lot of seats left in that section. We are Tier 4.

We didn't dilly dally (dillo dally?) so I didn't scout out the availability in other sections, including the South seats that we were also considering.

Go 'Cats!

Thx

This is/was exactly my fear. I get access on Monday.

Now my question is if this creates an obvious economics issue, will they attempt to "upgrade" higher Tier STHs to open up the lower-tier inventory, or shrug their shoulders and hope that visiting fans will pay higher prices than our own fan base who couldn't/wouldn't pony up the extra donations?

Now my question is if this creates an obvious economics issue, will they attempt to "upgrade" higher Tier STHs to open up the lower-tier inventory, or shrug their shoulders and hope that visiting fans will pay higher prices than our own fan base who couldn't/wouldn't pony up the extra donations?
It's an interesting question...

I just got my tix. There are a lot of seats in blocks of three and they won’t leave just one. That was really the only challenge.

For some reason, even though I've had 3 season tickets for many years, I was forced to buy 2 tickets and then 1 ticket, all the while I was coordinating with another person so our tickets were together.

When you figure that those seats between the 20s have $150 per ticket in "donations" is that what they are going to try to get from people buying single tickets?

Reactions: lunker35
A season ticket holder for 28 years, I am in Tier 4. I checked on my window. There were no seats between the 30’s on the east side. Also it appeared to be low and obstructed view. The other choice would have been North End Zone. Yet still thought the price of almost $100 a game was too high. I passed this year nor did any of the 11 in my group opt for tickets this year. Bummer.

Got my tickets this morning...North End Zone (N3), Row 40. Generally speaking, I'm not mad. The buying experience was fine; for those who may not have gone yet, it's worth noting it's a "live" environment - I had two failed attempts at buying tickets - I had checked the seats I wanted, proceeded to the next step and then received an error message saying one or more seats I selected were no longer available. I'm not complaining; just acknowledging you have to be quick about it. I will be interested to see if STHs get auto-dibs on their existing seats or everything will be up for grabs again.

I'm just thinking/talking/writing out loud here, but once we factor in the Wrigley games, parking and other tangible costs, this season will come in at around $700+ per set of tickets for seven games. On one hand, objectively that's not a bad price for a season of Big Ten football in a major market. I think the issue is that the 35-40% increase from last season sends me from the South Golf Lot and seats on the 30-yard line to what I expect will be the South Garage and seats in the end zone. It's as if we won the Rose Bowl last season...but not.

Got my tickets this morning...North End Zone (N3), Row 40. Generally speaking, I'm not mad. The buying experience was fine; for those who may not have gone yet, it's worth noting it's a "live" environment - I had two failed attempts at buying tickets - I had checked the seats I wanted, proceeded to the next step and then received an error message saying one or more seats I selected were no longer available. I'm not complaining; just acknowledging you have to be quick about it. I will be interested to see if STHs get auto-dibs on their existing seats or everything will be up for grabs again.

I'm just thinking/talking/writing out loud here, but once we factor in the Wrigley games, parking and other tangible costs, this season will come in at around $700+ per set of tickets for seven games. On one hand, objectively that's not a bad price for a season of Big Ten football in a major market. I think the issue is that the 35-40% increase from last season sends me from the South Golf Lot and seats on the 30-yard line to what I expect will be the South Garage and seats in the end zone. It's as if we won the Rose Bowl last season...but not.
See you in N3! There appears to be a TON of seats available in all the donation tiers. At some point just reward us loyal ticket holders who actually show up instead of the constant money grab. Also if they do sell individual tickets in those sections they better put in a premium that covers what would have been the donation for any of us.

See you in N3! There appears to be a TON of seats available in all the donation tiers. At some point just reward us loyal ticket holders who actually show up instead of the constant money grab. Also if they do sell individual tickets in those sections they better put in a premium that covers what would have been the donation for any of us.

Reward how? You mentioned there are still plenty available in all levels, including those not requiring donations. What more you looking for?

Reward how? You mentioned there are still plenty available in all levels, including those not requiring donations. What more you looking for?
Upgrade people’s seats. There are very few available in the non donation seats. It’s basically sold out. It’s the donation seats that are wide open.

A season ticket holder for 28 years, I am in Tier 4. I checked on my window. There were no seats between the 30’s on the east side. Also it appeared to be low and obstructed view. The other choice would have been North End Zone. Yet still thought the price of almost $100 a game was too high. I passed this year nor did any of the 11 in my group opt for tickets this year. Bummer.
I feel for you. Everything is expensive. The tickets on the East sideline did not appear to be very good which is why they were cheaper and did not require much of a donation. They are so low (only 5 rows, I think, and starting from ground level) that it is hard for them to not be obstructed.

I took west side at about the 20 as high as I could get and "donation" was still $50/game Brought the price per ticket to $170 for mostly low attendance games. Ridiculously high but best choice of what was there. They better do well or next year the will have a hard time selling it again

Last edited:
Reactions: lunker35
When you figure that those seats between the 20s have $150 per ticket in "donations" is that what they are going to try to get from people buying single tickets?
It is $150 for required donations AND $120 per ticket that they require of ST buyers. And forcing them to buy all games. Think that they will try to get $270 or more each for the high demand games of EIU, MofO, DUKE and IND? Most of the games they sure cannot do it. Maybe WIS but think they can sell them for $500 each? Anything less than that is screwing ST buyers.

Last edited:
It is $150 for required donations AND $120 per ticket that they require of ST buyers. And forcing them to buy all games. Think that they will try to get $270 or more each for the high demand games of EIU, MofO, DUKE and IND? Most of the games they sure cannot do it. Maybe WIS but man that is screwing ST buyers
I will be an apologist for The Establishment for just a second and acknowledge none of us *truly* knew how this would all shake out.

For all we know/knew, demand for the temporary lakefront stadium was going to be through the roof and under-pricing tickets would have yielded even more unhappy STHs...but far less revenue.

Strategically, I imagine the brain trust said "let's go with this plan, and if it turns out we've priced ourselves out of the market, we'll still find a way to put 14,000 butts in those seats."

Having said that, I believe a better pricing strategy would have involved more thoughtful market research, engagement with existing season ticket holders about their attitudes/perceptions around this stadium (is it cool, a band-aid, "less" of an experience vs. something awesome/unique), and used those insights to guide pricing.

If I were the AD, I wouldn't have added seat-based mandatory donations - I would have simply attached it all on the front end to when your access opened up. With none of us truly knowing what demand was, I would have donated more purely out of FOMO.

I will be an apologist for The Establishment for just a second and acknowledge none of us *truly* knew how this would all shake out.

For all we know/knew, demand for the temporary lakefront stadium was going to be through the roof and under-pricing tickets would have yielded even more unhappy STHs...but far less revenue.

Strategically, I imagine the brain trust said "let's go with this plan, and if it turns out we've priced ourselves out of the market, we'll still find a way to put 14,000 butts in those seats."

Having said that, I believe a better pricing strategy would have involved more thoughtful market research, engagement with existing season ticket holders about their attitudes/perceptions around this stadium (is it cool, a band-aid, "less" of an experience vs. something awesome/unique), and used those insights to guide pricing.

If I were the AD, I wouldn't have added seat-based mandatory donations - I would have simply attached it all on the front end to when your access opened up. With none of us truly knowing what demand was, I would have donated more purely out of FOMO.
The reason we are in this situation is basically they had a couple years to get ready for this and they screwed the pooch and had to go this route because they screwed up and could not get anything else arranged

I am also in N-3. It wouldn't let me buy two seats where only three were available, but I called and the ticket agent was able to get me those seats. I only wish I could have gotten an aisle, but it is what it is.

I know if I was going to have to pay a donation, I probably would have passed this year, but luckily I didn't.

I am looking forward to seeing some games next season. I hope it turns out to be a most excellent season.

The reason we are in this situation is basically they had a couple years to get ready for this and they screwed the pooch and had to go this route because they screwed up and could not get anything else arranged
I tend to agree. But it's also clear to me their focus was 100% on monetizing/maximizing the lakeside stadium, rather than mitigating or considering how this shift impacts fans. Like I said in an earlier post, the new price tag by itself isn't what's grinding my gears, it's that I'm seeing a 40% swing for much worse seats and what is likely to be worse parking.

For about the 80th time in a year or so, I can't help but wonder how Phillips would have handled this. I do believe there were very plausible scenarios on the table where I would be lauding the administration for how they've facilitated this season and next.

I hope they learn from the demand test they are running. The contrast between the north and south end zones - effectively identical seats priced very differently - is informative. One section is effectively sold out and the other is effectively unsold.

Reactions: ParisCat
W-29 here. So few rows and so close to the field that I couldn’t see ponying up for the seats that are $750-1000 donation level. There were more of those left than at the $250 donation level when my time slot opened up at 10am this morning. Think they got a little over zealous or greedy on the donation amounts.

I hope they learn from the demand test they are running. The contrast between the north and south end zones - effectively identical seats priced very differently - is informative. One section is effectively sold out and the other is effectively unsold.
The south end zone has seatbacks hardly identical to a bleacher seat in the north.

Reactions: phatcat
The south end zone has seatbacks hardly identical to a bleacher seat in the north.
I just went back to look for the first time since I bought my tickets earlier this morning. To be honest, I knew I was only looking at the $399 (North End Zone) options so I didn't even take a second to look at the rest of the remaining inventory.

There is a lot left. Like, A LOT. If I'm in charge of ticketing...I'd be worried.

Most of the South End Zone Seating (I would estimate 85-90%) is unsold. For reference, these were the $549 + $500 mandatory donation seats. Are individual seats/seatbacks vs. bleachers worth $130 more per game for about the same sight lines from the end zone? I would have considered $549 vs. $399, but with that $500 required "donation..." I think the people have spoken.

I'm also seeing fairly large swaths of west stand seats are still available.

So...everyone here should get ready for inbound calls from our ticket reps in the coming weeks...now it's just a question of whether people will get offered auto-upgrades or "great deals" on them.

Knowing Gragg, he's looking at the current inventory and saying, "we priced the bleachers too low." #facepalm

I just went back to look for the first time since I bought my tickets earlier this morning. To be honest, I knew I was only looking at the $399 (North End Zone) options so I didn't even take a second to look at the rest of the remaining inventory.

There is a lot left. Like, A LOT. If I'm in charge of ticketing...I'd be worried.

Most of the South End Zone Seating (I would estimate 85-90%) is unsold. For reference, these were the $549 + $500 mandatory donation seats. Are individual seats/seatbacks vs. bleachers worth $130 more per game for about the same sight lines from the end zone? I would have considered $549 vs. $399, but with that $500 required "donation..." I think the people have spoken.

I'm also seeing fairly large swaths of west stand seats are still available.

So...everyone here should get ready for inbound calls from our ticket reps in the coming weeks...now it's just a question of whether people will get offered auto-upgrades or "great deals" on them.

Knowing Gragg, he's looking at the current inventory and saying, "we priced the bleachers too low." #facepalm
Wait until they release the “student section tickets” for the three games taking place prior to classes starting.

There will be lots of tickets available at much lower prices than what season ticket holders were offered. Hopefully it’s an eye opener for them and informs their plans for the new stadium.

I tend to agree. But it's also clear to me their focus was 100% on monetizing/maximizing the lakeside stadium, rather than mitigating or considering how this shift impacts fans. Like I said in an earlier post, the new price tag by itself isn't what's grinding my gears, it's that I'm seeing a 40% swing for much worse seats and what is likely to be worse parking.

For about the 80th time in a year or so, I can't help but wonder how Phillips would have handled this. I do believe there were very plausible scenarios on the table where I would be lauding the administration for how they've facilitated this season and next.
My past seats wre on the 50 and the new ones are on about the 15. and for that, paying about 150% higher for 5 games and 4 are mostly games it is hard to get people to go to. Plus more money for parking for again fewer games.

With as little consideration as they gave the long time ST buyers and how it will affect them, it better all go well because they just used up all their good will as any misstep will result in them being crucified in the future

So here is a fun fact about ticket revenue sharing. The B1G has a rule that 30% of ticket revenue goes to the visiting B1G team with minimum of $300,000 and maximum of $1 million. So, if all the 15,000 Wisconsin tickets are priced at $150, total revenue would be $2.25 million and $675,000 would go to Wisconsin.

What is not included is the seat licenses or donations. Northwestern (as well as other B1G schools) keeps all the money for seat licenses. It is a way to inflate ticket prices without sharing the revenue.

Reactions: hdhntr1
So here is a fun fact about ticket revenue sharing. The B1G has a rule that 30% of ticket revenue goes to the visiting B1G team with minimum of $300,000 and maximum of $1 million. So, if all the 15,000 Wisconsin tickets are priced at $150, total revenue would be $2.25 million and $675,000 would go to Wisconsin.

What is not included is the seat licenses or donations. Northwestern (as well as other B1G schools) keeps all the money for seat licenses. It is a way to inflate ticket prices without sharing the revenue.
The irony is that the license/donation scheme serves to overprice season tickets, leading to an oversupply of single-game seats or secondary market availability. Those most hurt are season ticket holders.

This year is merely a trial run for the new stadium with the added feature there of luxury boxes, the owners of which will have access to concerts which increase the value of boxes but not of season football tickets.

Given this scheme, games in the new stadium will be easily populated by single-game ticket holders and secondary market buyers (i.e. visiting fans).

I do wonder what was factored when pricing tickets. The cost of the temporary stadium can't be minimal. If it was really just a way to make money, then it was a mistake to price the tickets (with the donations) so high. If that is the case, they should have just tried to take care of STH and students, and priced it to not lose money for the season.

The B1G has a rule that 30% of ticket revenue goes to the visiting B1G team

That’s not entirely correct. While that money is removed from Northwestern’s “coffers”, it does not go directly to the visiting team.

All league conference games have this requirement and the money is poooled and then divided equally amongst all 18 (beginning this fall) member schools.

This year is merely a trial run for the new stadium with the added feature there of luxury boxes, the owners of which will have access to concerts which increase the value of boxes

I would advise anyone who uses the possibility of concerts as enhancing the value of a seat license or required donation to think again.

I can’t see Northwestern University getting into the concert production business and assuming all the expenses of purchasing the talent and the labor requirements to build a stage and manage all aspects of the event instead of simply offering New Ryan Field as a rental cost to an organization that does this full time (and will likely be taking this show across the country as part of a tour). If so, why is a concert promoter going to sign a rental agreement that removes the inventory of seats that can be sold for the highest markup possible?

The same temptation was made to Club Seat and Suite season ticket holders in Ann Arbor when Michigan Stadium added the side structures in 2010. When the NHL held the Detroit/Toronto “winter classic” on New Year’s Day a few years later, a Michigan suite holder’s status meant zilch. No access to that suite or even a priority at gaming general admission to the event (unless through tickets Michigan retained as part of the rental agreement). Every one of the 105,000 tickets was scaled and sold by the NHL.

Pop Music is not my “milieux”, but I’m having a hard time figuring out the artists/bands that Northwestern is going to present as a “one off” that will attract attendance of 8-20,000 fans, Acts that wouldn’t perform at outdoor music venues or stadia across the country as arranged by Live Nation or another concert promoter.

I would advise anyone who uses the possibility of concerts as enhancing the value of a seat license or required donation to think again.

I can’t see Northwestern University getting into the concert production business and assuming all the expenses of purchasing the talent and the labor requirements to build a stage and manage all aspects of the event instead of simply offering New Ryan Field as a rental cost to an organization that does this full time (and will likely be taking this show across the country as part of a tour). If so, why is a concert promoter going to sign a rental agreement that removes the inventory of seats that can be sold for the highest markup possible?

The same temptation was made to Club Seat and Suite season ticket holders in Ann Arbor when Michigan Stadium added the side structures in 2010. When the NHL held the Detroit/Toronto “winter classic” on New Year’s Day a few years later, a Michigan suite holder’s status meant zilch. No access to that suite or even a priority at gaming general admission to the event (unless through tickets Michigan retained as part of the rental agreement). Every one of the 105,000 tickets was scaled and sold by the NHL.

Pop Music is not my “milieux”, but I’m having a hard time figuring out the artists/bands that Northwestern is going to present as a “one off” that will attract attendance of 8-20,000 fans, Acts that wouldn’t perform at outdoor music venues or stadia across the country as arranged by Live Nation or another concert promoter.
NU athletic department as short sighted as ever

Good luck with the Indiana game with that minimum requirement.

So programs like PSU, dOSU and Mich get a huge break because of the maximum and whereas the smaller programs all have to pay the 30% or more?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT