ADVERTISEMENT

My Final Game at Dyche

jimmyNU

Sep 12, 2005
#FireMcCall
Fellow Wildcat Faithful,

A week from Friday, I will be flying to Chicago for Homecoming and my 25th reunion. This will also be my final game at Dyche Stadium and my final year as a season ticket holder.

I imagine that I will remain a Wildcat fan for life, but in the past 25 years the game has changed too much for me to keep up my season tickets. In recent years, "college" football has added the transfer portal, early enrollment from high school, players opting out of bowl games, and of course NIL money. That, and Fitzball has proven to be a very boring product on the field in recent years.

I'm still amazed that the athletic department hasn't announced more detailed stadium plans. Regardless, the fan survey they sent out last year clearly signaled that seats as good as the ones I have now will come with an additional and sizeable booster donation. Given that I live in Virginia and typically go to one game a year, I can't justify the expense.

I will continue to watch most games on TV, though probably not this year's Ohio State game. Even if the team is bad, it helps be stay connected with my friends from my days in NUMB.

Victory & Honor,

Jim

Fellow Wildcat Faithful,

A week from Friday, I will be flying to Chicago for Homecoming and my 25th reunion. This will also be my final game at Dyche Stadium and my final year as a season ticket holder.

I imagine that I will remain a Wildcat fan for life, but in the past 25 years the game has changed too much for me to keep up my season tickets. In recent years, "college" football has added the transfer portal, early enrollment from high school, players opting out of bowl games, and of course NIL money. That, and Fitzball has proven to be a very boring product on the field in recent years.

I'm still amazed that the athletic department hasn't announced more detailed stadium plans. Regardless, the fan survey they sent out last year clearly signaled that seats as good as the ones I have now will come with an additional and sizeable booster donation. Given that I live in Virginia and typically go to one game a year, I can't justify the expense.

I will continue to watch most games on TV, though probably not this year's Ohio State game. Even if the team is bad, it helps be stay connected with my friends from my days in NUMB.

Victory & Honor,

Jim
Even though I am finally within easy driving distance, I can't justify season tickets. I just buy single game tickets as needed. In fact, until the product improves ALOT, I'd rather go to away games at, say, Purdue, than sit through yet another OSU beat down surrounded by 40k yahoo's.

I'm waiting for the next game outside the US--why not Portugal, Spain or Italy. See if the luck of the Irish can translate. Suffering through the last 3 debacles has been horrid, but I'm painfully (i.e. ridiculously) loyal and believe we will get a couple of unexpected wins in Oct and Nov. Fitz has pulled rabbits out of the hat before.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
Whatever. Dramatic but doesn't resonate. Fitz needs a kick in the ass but I think things will eventually improve.
An empty stadium - or one dressed in the wrong color might do that. Nobody cares anymore. National media went away. Local media went away. Fans, long time fans, are going away.

Ok, it’s the fans fault. Whatever. Tree falls in the forest…

NIL money doesn't bother me... what bothers me more as an alum and a fan is seeing everybody else making money off of college football except the players. I'm glad NIL is starting to change that dynamic. I'm happy for players that they can transfer without penalty when, for example, their coach bails on them for a new job without penalty.

What DOES bother me is:

1) Fitzball is boring and shitty to watch -- very low entertainment value
2) Fitz and his arrogance born from some sort of imposter syndrome... it's exhausting to see that continue to play out
3) The Ryan Field fan experience sucks to say the least

This really is so brave a post. Thank you for putting yourself out there.

NIL money doesn't bother me... what bothers me more as an alum and a fan is seeing everybody else making money off of college football except the players. I'm glad NIL is starting to change that dynamic. I'm happy for players that they can transfer without penalty when, for example, their coach bails on them for a new job without penalty.

What DOES bother me is:

2) Fitz and his arrogance born from some sort of imposter syndrome... it's exhausting to see that continue to play out
There is more game excitement in my garage with neighbors than at Ryan Field. Watching Fitz make poor game decisions over and over leading him to get outcoached by the likes of Akron, IL State, SIU, and MU just validates me not wasting the gas and frustration of getting to Evanston for a season.

I giggle at some who indulge in the fantasy that Fitz was some NFL or P5 coaching commodity. As I have said earlier, losing is the trend now and we have to accept that this is the culture currently. Dark times ahead for Fitz.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
The psychology of being a fan and what it means to be a fan as always interested me...Heck I am not an NU grad So I guess I have to start there. .Why am I so in invested in NU ?.Guess it starts with I like football, I like college football more than pro football. I like what I perceive to be doing it the right way , the true student/athlete, refusing to cave in on academic standards but why NU and the emotional and monetary investment in the Cats...Somehow the NU Cats and my history with them represent characteristics that I think are important and challenge me to practice my values... FIrst of all when I first started to follow the Cats they were at the bottom...rock bottom, and I watched these over matched teams struggle and claw through a game they had no chance of winning. And then the impossible happened, the Purple went to Pasadena...and then we went and won bowl games and then we won the West, twice.....it was Narvana, the winning , the flying the flag off my garage,,,,the sweet nectar of winning and being someone after being no one!!!!.....and doing it the right way. I mean it felt like the American Dream... No longer suffering but rejoicing in the rays of sunlight after decades of darkness....and now...? Two years in a row, we look bad, we look over matched, very few exciting players. But it looks like the kids are pushing the rock up the hill as best they can..maybe the coaching is suspect but I dont know enough to decide if it needs to be changed....So what choice does a fan have.....but to stick with em...through thick and thin....so I guess in the end I like what NU football represents...and feel compelled to take the long road , up the hill, down the hill and now the uncertainty of a curve in the road ahead that you cant see around. Fans are in , good times and bad...trying in our small way of helping to push the bus back up the hill and around the curve....where awaits?????? So here we are again...NU appears to be a bad football team with few victories ahead....but I refuse to give in to the new america which requires us to have what we want, all the time and quickly.......I will take the slog up the hill, until we get to the top again. While I cant enjoy the brotherhood of NU alum I can stick with being a Cat fan in a year where it looks like I wont get many rewards....

The psychology of being a fan and what it means to be a fan as always interested me...Heck I am not an NU grad So I guess I have to start there. .Why am I so in invested in NU ?.Guess it starts with I like football, I like college football more than pro football. I like what I perceive to be doing it the right way , the true student/athlete, refusing to cave in on academic standards but why NU and the emotional and monetary investment in the Cats...Somehow the NU Cats and my history with them represent characteristics that I think are important and challenge me to practice my values... FIrst of all when I first started to follow the Cats they were at the bottom...rock bottom, and I watched these over matched teams struggle and claw through a game they had no chance of winning. And then the impossible happened, the Purple went to Pasadena...and then we went and won bowl games and then we won the West, twice.....it was Narvana, the winning , the flying the flag off my garage,,,,the sweet nectar of winning and being someone after being no one!!!!.....and doing it the right way. I mean it felt like the American Dream... No longer suffering but rejoicing in the rays of sunlight after decades of darkness....and now...? Two years in a row, we look bad, we look over matched, very few exciting players. But it looks like the kids are pushing the rock up the hill as best they can..maybe the coaching is suspect but I dont know enough to decide if it needs to be changed....So what choice does a fan have.....but to stick with em...through thick and thin....so I guess in the end I like what NU football represents...and feel compelled to take the long road , up the hill, down the hill and now the uncertainty of a curve in the road ahead that you cant see around. Fans are in , good times and bad...trying in our small way of helping to push the bus back up the hill and around the curve....where awaits?????? So here we are again...NU appears to be a bad football team with few victories ahead....but I refuse to give in to the new america which requires us to have what we want, all the time and quickly.......I will take the slog up the hill, until we get to the top again. While I cant enjoy the brotherhood of NU alum I can stick with being a Cat fan in a year where it looks like I wont get many rewards....
I relate to your sentiment. But knowing what is possible only makes me less willing to expect mediocrity. Fitz's time here has gotten us to a point and this school, its investments, & its players deserve better now.

Reactions: IGNORE2 and drewjin

What DOES bother me is:

I have been pointing out #3 for years. The game day experience at Northwestern rivals a AA baseball game. We have every 'hey look over here' gimmick other than a pig riding a motorcycle.

For the record, I totally support hiring the pig to ride the motorcycle.

Well, the Deacon riding a motorcycle is already taken so a pig will have to do:

Wake-Forest-Demon-Deacon.jpg

What DOES bother me is:

#3 I just don't care. I go to the game, plop in my seat, maybe have a squished hot dog and a soda, and watch the game. Period. I wouldn't mind getting rid of some of our cringe ripoffs: cat growl (PSU), finest band in the land (OSU, also it's untrue) and move those chains (Army). Replaces the benches with seats. My wife would like that. Otherwise it's fine.

Fitzball doesn't bother me unless we suck. Win 6+ games a year and IDC.

#2 is the core problem. He's either too arrogant, too afraid or incapable to adjust.

Reactions: drewjin
But
I have been pointing out #3 for years. The game day experience at Northwestern rivals a AA baseball game. We have every 'hey look over here' gimmick other than a pig riding a motorcycle.

don't they have beer at the AA Baseball game?

Fellow Wildcat Faithful,

Victory & Honor,

Jim

Lol. Can I have your seat in 2026??

#3 I just don't care. I go to the game, plop in my seat, maybe have a squished hot dog and a soda, and watch the game. Period. I wouldn't mind getting rid of some of our cringe ripoffs: cat growl (PSU), finest band in the land (OSU, also it's untrue) and move those chains (Army). Replaces the benches with seats. My wife would like that. Otherwise it's fine.

Fitzball doesn't bother me unless we suck. Win 6+ games a year and IDC.

#2 is the core problem. He's either too arrogant, too afraid or incapable to adjust.
I remember being in like seventh grade and loving the growl. Now that I’m in my thirties I totally understand thinking it’s gimmicky. If it makes children happy then I’m cool with it.

The “move those chains” things makes me absolutely cringe every time I hear it on tv.

(You guys want to feel old? I found this board when I was in seventh grade trying to figure out if we were recruiting T.J Parker’s youngest brother-I turn 32 this year)

I can appreciate all of this, but I expect a little more from them in the bad years. I will always root for them, but if I am going to travel 7+ hours (round trip) to games, I expect them to be competent. I can't think of any reason NU, even with academic requirements and doing things the "right way," should not be able to handle FCS teams, or really most teams outside of the Power 5. I do not blame the kids on the team, but I lay responsibility on the coaching and the development of the players. I will always root for Northwestern, but if they continue like this, my relationship to the team will become much like my relationship with the Lions. I would like to see them win, but I will not invest myself emotionally into the team. I own no Lions gear, I will watch if it is on tv and I have nothing else to do, but I don't seek out the games, and I certainly don't go to games.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
I can appreciate all of this, but I expect a little more from them in the bad years. I will always root for them, but if I am going to travel 7+ hours (round trip) to games, I expect them to be competent. I can't think of any reason NU, even with academic requirements and doing things the "right way," should not be able to handle FCS teams, or really most teams outside of the Power 5. I do not blame the kids on the team, but I lay responsibility on the coaching and the development of the players. I will always root for Northwestern, but if they continue like this, my relationship to the team will become much like my relationship with the Lions. I would like to see them win, but I will not invest myself emotionally into the team. I own no Lions gear, I will watch if it is on tv and I have nothing else to do, but I don't seek out the games, and I certainly don't go to games.
I particularly agree with this because this looks to be the worst 4 year stretch since pre1995. Other bad 2 year stretches: 98/99, 01/02, 13/14. Perhaps 98-02 was a similar stretch with y2k equivalent to 2020. We have been remarkably consistent since 07...until now.

My point is, I have little hope. Our touted recruiting class is dropping as it always does, and I saw that Ashton Porter is visiting PSU, which is the same as a decommit. I have no confidence that a 1-11 team can hold that class together.

Yep. A win at PSU will change perceptions in a hurry. Unfortunately, I don’t think that‘s going to happen. Nevertheless, it’s too early to push the panic button…..let‘s see where we are in a few weeks.
That said, should NU finish 3-9 ( or worse ) an exodus of top commits may well occur. Should this scenario come to pass, it may actually prove salutary IMO. A much better outcome than, say, NU winning 3 more games and finishing with a better record than last year, allowing Fitz to claim: “Progress! Our goals are still ahead of us….., etc.“
Should the 3 win/decommits scenario occur, this will manifestly necessitate a thorough housecleaning. For his own survival, Fitz will be faced with the realization that he can’t take half measures in resuscitating the program. Hopefully, he is willing to leave his comfort zone, consider changes in his strategic thinking ( especially on offense ), seek and take advice from others, and hire the right coaches who may challenge him but are up to the task of rebuilding the program. If he chooses to tweak things by replacing one or two coaches, he’s signing his own walking papers.
In either case, the next few years will be tough to watch and will separate the wheat from the tares in NUFB‘s fan base.

I can appreciate all of this, but I expect a little more from them in the bad years.
I can appreciate this. The games are not very exciting...not many exciting skill players or schemes.

Reactions: TXnumbCAT
I still care a bit. I hope they win. I'll watch on TV, but I have a DVR and I'm not going to plan my day around the game.

As others said, I'm far less likely to spend up to $1000 to travel round trip to use tickets for a game (the cost of the tickets is pretty easy to eat and we have great seats).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT