ADVERTISEMENT

grad transfers academic requirements?

charcat

Apr 11, 2006
If grad transfers come for Football or Basketball, do they really pursue a masters degree or just take classes in grad school? Is there any real admission work, or if they have actually graduated from college, you don’t worry about test scores and grades?

I assume they have to be enrolled in a degree-granting program to be eligible to play. I've noticed the grad transfers often do the Master's in Sports Administration program based in the School of Professional Studies. I think it's safe to say admission to the program is not a significant hurdle for someone who wants to grad transfer here.

Reactions: NUCat320
If grad transfers come for Football or Basketball, do they really pursue a masters degree or just take classes in grad school? Is there any real admission work, or if they have actually graduated from college, you don’t worry about test scores and grades?

Yes, there are requirements for grad transfers to be admitted to NU grad programs. They cannot just take any Joe. GPA and test scores are necessary and they must take classes. There may be more to it, but as per usual our pool of possibles is a lot smaller than most programs. Add in our character and family requirements and I don't think it's too easy.

I wonder if NCAA keeps stats on how many grad transfers have finished their grad degrees. It’s not like there is any consequence if you don’t, right? They could just come for fall semester/quarter and after football season call it quits.

Yes, there are requirements for grad transfers to be admitted to NU grad programs. They cannot just take any Joe. GPA and test scores are necessary and they must take classes. There may be more to it, but as per usual our pool of possibles is a lot smaller than most programs. Add in our character and family requirements and I don't think it's too easy.

What family requirements?

Reactions: Macadochis
I wonder if NCAA keeps stats on how many grad transfers have finished their grad degrees. It’s not like there is any consequence if you don’t, right? They could just come for fall semester/quarter and after football season call it quits.
I’d guess on the order of 0.0%.

One class per semester if hoops, one class, period, if football.

I assume they have to be enrolled in a degree-granting program to be eligible to play. I've noticed the grad transfers often do the Master's in Sports Administration program based in the School of Professional Studies. I think it's safe to say admission to the program is not a significant hurdle for someone who wants to grad transfer here.
In defense of that choice of that program. They can use their experience as a P5 athlete as a basis for reflection and reporting. it is not like they they really want to be an astro physicist but Choose Sports administration. They probably want to run a great sports program at the highest level they can achieve .

In defense of that choice of that program. They can use their experience as a P5 athlete as a basis for reflection and reporting. it is not like they they really want to be an astro physicist but Choose Sports administration. They probably want to run a great sports program at the highest level they can achieve .

It was not my intention to denigrate the program. I know non-athletes who have completed it. And, like you said, it makes a lot of sense for an athlete to do it. I was just saying that academics are not the hurdle for grad transfers that they can be for players coming from high school.

Reactions: Gladeskat

usually take the 1-year MSA program

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I’d guess on the order of 0.0%.

One class per semester if hoops, one class, period, if football.
Unless they have dramatically changed the rules in recent years, one class won't cut it. There are semester hour minimums (I think 6 or 9 credit hours) and an academic year minimum (24 hours) that must be successfully completed. The exception is the last semester before receiving a degree (you have to show that you only need that one or two courses to graduate).

Unless they have dramatically changed the rules in recent years, one class won't cut it. There are semester hour minimums (I think 6 or 9 credit hours) and an academic year minimum (24 hours) that must be successfully completed. The exception is the last semester before receiving a degree (you have to show that you only need that one or two courses to graduate).
Thorson, as a graduate student, took one class in the summer and one in the fall.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...orson-interview-takeaways-20180702-story.html

It was not my intention to denigrate the program. I know non-athletes who have completed it. And, like you said, it makes a lot of sense for an athlete to do it. I was just saying that academics are not the hurdle for grad transfers that they can be for players coming from high school.

Not true. Admissions typically requires that a transfer should have met NU’s admissions criteria coming out of high school as well as coming out of college.

Not true. Admissions typically requires that a transfer should have met NU’s admissions criteria coming out of high school as well as coming out of college.
This would make NU (athletics) the only grad program in the history of the world that considers high school academic performance, right?

To me it doesn't matter if a player who takes advantage of the Grad Transfer rule never finishes the program. In the industry of big money college football, if there is a loophole to incentivize a student athlete to work hard and graduate as soon a possible, then more power to it.

It was stated that transfers have to also meet NUs HS admittance standards and they had to provide HS transcripts. Would this also be true of Grad Transfers? If so, why? Wouldn't they have to qualify for the grad program? Why would that require HS transcripts?

Reactions: willycat
It was stated that transfers have to also meet NUs HS admittance standards and they had to provide HS transcripts. Would this also be true of Grad Transfers? If so, why? Wouldn't they have to qualify for the grad program? Why would that require HS transcripts?

Yes

My guess is they ask for High school transcripts but they don’t have much weight as there is more recent academic work...

Except we are on quarters

Except we are on quarters
That is true. The rules are/were a bit more complicated than I originally stated; I tried to simplify them a bit. The key features of rules were that athletes had to complete essentially at least one-fifth of their degree requirements each year, which was generally 24 semester hours; I assume there is a comparable number for schools that are on the quarter system. There is/was also a minimum number of hours required for each "regular" semester (Fall, Spring - during the summer you could complete any number). So it is/was not uncommon for students to take 9 semester hours each regular semester, which technically was not full-time at my school) and 6 hours during the summer. That kept them eligible. I have been away from the athletics department for a few years now so I'm not sure how much that has changed. The whole grad student transfer issue was a non-issue when I was involved with these things, so I'm not sure what rules they have to follow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT