ADVERTISEMENT

Grateful for an excellent season

Deeringfish

Gold Member
Jun 23, 2008
I know everyone wants to be champion and some guys have very high expectations for NU but I think back on one of the first threads I ever participated in about 9,000 posts ago. The poster asked, What defined a successful season? I remember the dark ages and realistically understand that when you put together the records of all the teams that play on a given Saturday it turns out to be pretty average. Every winner has a loser and every team spends a ton of $ and energy to be the best they can be.

I determined then that if every game counted to advance the team, That was a good season. I remember too many years where games # 6-10 were meaningless to NU and would not advance the program to the post season. The guys played so many games just for pride or obligation. It was difficult to be excited for those games as a fan and naturally many people, even the players checked out.

I've become a little spoiled in the last 20 years or so with so many competitive teams and seasons. The thought that we might actually be 0-12 or even 2 and 10 is simply incredulous to me anymore though I had bad dreams about it after the ISU game. Still, I really appreciate going into the Illinois game with more on the table than the Land of Lincoln trophy.

This season my have met my minimum requirement for success in one respect but in many respects was really quite excellent. Our QB and made huge gains with two seasons of eligibility left to play. Austin Carr and Justin Jackson led the B1G in their respective positions. We had the B1G sack leader. We were competitive in every game even playing OSU toe to toe in their stadium. They overcame many early season injuries to key players.

The team really gave us an enjoyable season and I look forward to what ever bowl we play.

I know everyone wants to be champion and some guys have very high expectations for NU but I think back on one of the first threads I ever participated in about 9,000 posts ago. The poster asked, What defined a successful season? I remember the dark ages and realistically understand that when you put together the records of all the teams that play on a given Saturday it turns out to be pretty average. Every winner has a loser and every team spends a ton of $ and energy to be the best they can be.

I determined then that if every game counted to advance the team, That was a good season. I remember too many years where games # 6-10 were meaningless to NU and would not advance the program to the post season. The guys played so many games just for pride or obligation. It was difficult to be excited for those games as a fan and naturally many people, even the players checked out.

I've become a little spoiled in the last 20 years or so with so many competitive teams and seasons. The thought that we might actually be 0-12 or even 2 and 10 is simply incredulous to me anymore though I had bad dreams about it after the ISU game. Still, I really appreciate going into the Illinois game with more on the table than the Land of Lincoln trophy.

This season my have met my minimum requirement for success in one respect but in many respects was really quite excellent. Our QB and made huge gains with two seasons of eligibility left to play. Austin Carr and Justin Jackson led the B1G in their respective positions. We had the B1G sack leader. We were competitive in every game even playing OSU toe to toe in their stadium. They overcame many early season injuries to key players.

The team really gave us an enjoyable season and I look forward to what ever bowl we play.

Excellent? Hardly. When you have the leading rusher and leading receiver in the Big 10 and struggle to finish 6-6 then "excellent" is not one of the adjectives that comes to MY mind. And I doubt the head ball coach at NU would call it excellent either.

Reactions: zwicker
I agree with Deeringfish. After the rough start, I like how the team did not give up and gave us some gameday thrills. The improvement we saw this year bodes well for the 2017 season.

I would say the team gave us an enjoyable season except for ISU and Minnesota (where we really stunk up the place), and I look forward to the best bowl we can get into and the best team we can play (beating a team by 20 points that we should beat by 20 points doesn't advance anything--it's like getting a nice Christmas present that you were already expecting--it may be warm and fuzzy but it misses half the point).

Reactions: cat inkansas
The main improvement to me is not getting clobbered in any game. Even Minn game we were in it late . Not like Tenn IA Mich last year

Someone said (many) that we might have a worse record but a better team. I don't think this is a better team but not "four games worse"

The main improvement to me is not getting clobbered in any game. Even Minn game we were in it late . Not like Tenn IA Mich last year

Someone said (many) that we might have a worse record but a better team. I don't think this is a better team but not "four games worse"
We weren't in Minny that late. That was one of those put ourselves in a big hole then try to catch up games. We never could.

We weren't in Minny that late. That was one of those put ourselves in a big hole then try to catch up games. We never could.
Down by nine in the fourth, particularly with a cornucopia of missed kicks and PATs is pretty close

Down by nine in the fourth, particularly with a cornucopia of missed kicks and PATs is pretty close
"cornucopia of missed kicks and PATs is pretty close". Those and dropped passes and poor pass defense is what I mean by "stinking up the place." It didn't feel like we were ever in it. Not arguing with you really, just sayin'.

"Excellent" is pushing it, but I see more good than bad:

Good:
CT's development as a passer
Turned season around horrendous start
Austin Carr's awesome senior year out of nowhere
JJ again
John Moten
Beating Iowa and MSU

Bad
O line inconsistency; loss to Minny showed us where we really need to improve
Losing WML for season

Ugly
Loss to ISU
Matt Harris retires due to concussions (ugly football; good personal)
Tommy Vitale retires (ditto)
Cam Queiro retires (ditto)

"Excellent" is pushing it, but I see more good than bad:

Good:
CT's development as a passer
Turned season around horrendous start
Austin Carr's awesome senior year out of nowhere
JJ again
John Moten
Beating Iowa and MSU

Bad
O line inconsistency; loss to Minny showed us where we really need to improve
Losing WML for season

Ugly
Loss to ISU
Matt Harris retires due to concussions (ugly football; good personal)
Tommy Vitale retires (ditto)
Cam Queiro retires (ditto)

I'd add Godwin and the emergence of the second walk-on Butler to the Good category. Losing Mertz and Park to injury for the season falls into the Ugly (or Sad) category.

Reactions: nu greek
I'd add Godwin and the emergence of the second walk-on Butler to the Good category. Losing Mertz and Park to injury for the season falls into the Ugly (or Sad) category.
If for any reasons we don't have Godwin and Walker next year, we're toast. The offense is only going to get incrementally better, since Fitz will not make the changes necessary for it to be otherwise.

We need to hold on to as much of the current team as humanly possible, and add to it.

Excellent? Hardly. When you have the leading rusher and leading receiver in the Big 10 and struggle to finish 6-6 then "excellent" is not one of the adjectives that comes to MY mind. And I doubt the head ball coach at NU would call it excellent either.
It was excellent to me. I did mercifully miss the ISU game but I enjoyed all the other games this season and I refuse to let all the board negativity wreck it for me. All the other teams especially in the B1G are well funded and try to put the best product forward. I'm happy to be competitive in that arena. Losing record not so much. I guess I'm just Pollyanna for the Cats.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Was this post a delay from one year ago?
No. In fact I found this season more satisfying than last. I really disliked being blown out of the games we lost. We looked bad. The team actually looked pretty good after the ISU game.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
All the other teams especially in the B1G are well funded and try to put the best product forward. I'm happy to be competitive in that arena. .

I am happy that you felt good about the season. With respect to financial support, NU pays their head ball coach $3.1 Million a season and the school is investing $260 Million in a campus football facility, so I think NU is doing OK in the "well funded" arena......

Yeah. And the D Backs and O Line would agree with you, right?

It was excellent to me. I did mercifully miss the ISU game but I enjoyed all the other games this season and I refuse to let all the board negativity wreck it for me. All the other teams especially in the B1G are well funded and try to put the best product forward. I'm happy to be competitive in that arena. Losing record not so much. I guess I'm just Pollyanna for the Cats.

I am happy that you felt good about the season. With respect to financial support, NU pays their head ball coach $3.1 Million a season and the school is investing $260 Million in a campus football facility, so I think NU is doing OK in the "well funded" arena......

Exactly, the program is doing a lot to move forward and stay competitive even in the fact of a real arms race. There is always going to be more to be done and none of the other programs is going to roll over and let us pass but I think we are putting out a more and more consistent product. I BB too which does't hurt name recognition and reputation.

Glad you thought so highly about the past season and agree with some of your thoughts but that might go down as the worst headline in WR history. Sorry but excellent it wasn't.

Reactions: NJCat
I remember the dark ages and realistically understand that when you put together the records of all the teams that play on a given Saturday it turns out to be pretty average. ...if every game counted to advance the team, That was a good season.
This season my have met my minimum requirement for success in one respect but in many respects was really quite excellent.
As I and others have said before, Northwestern's biggest problem is 'fans' like you!

If my memory serves me well, it was only ONE season ago that NU went 6-2 in the B1G and won 10 overall. How can possibly dropping to 5-4 (6-6) including a loss to an unranked FCS team be anything other than a HUGE setback?

Furthermore, NU lost every game against a team with a B1G winning record except for IOA (which still lost 3 B1G games). Three of 6 defeated opponents won a single conference game each, and another won only 2.

The fact that players in key positions did better than last year makes it even LESS acceptable.

All this in the 11th year of an admin that has never won a championship or even a lowly division title (in spite of the fact that the NU program had won THREE B1G crowns over a similar span, and 4,5 and 5 B1G games of 8 in the seasons immediately preceding the current tenure).

I'd hope the standards of success that you apply to yourself and any group you may lead are a lot higher than those you apply to the NU FB program.

As I and others have said before, Northwestern's biggest problem is 'fans' like you!

If my memory serves me well, it was only ONE season ago that NU went 6-2 in the B1G and won 10 overall. How can possibly dropping to 5-4 (6-6) including a loss to an unranked FCS team be anything other than a HUGE setback?

Furthermore, NU lost every game against a team with a B1G winning record except for IOA (which still lost 3 B1G games). Three of 6 defeated opponents won a single conference game each, and another won only 2.

The fact that players in key positions did better than last year makes it even LESS acceptable.

All this in the 11th year of an admin that has never won a championship or even a lowly division title (in spite of the fact that the NU program had won THREE B1G crowns over a similar span, and 4,5 and 5 B1G games of 8 in the seasons immediately preceding the current tenure).

I'd hope the standards of success that you apply to yourself and any group you may lead are a lot higher than those you apply to the NU FB program.

Ahhh. Woody Stupor leaves and you're here within five minutes. Nice to see you haven't lost your ability to personally attach other posters.

Well, you've got a point, about the setback at least. Deeringfish is actually a good fan..

Fans like me have no impact on the team. Except the four season tickets we have been buying since WW II.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT