ADVERTISEMENT

Greenstein and Wootton on Replacing CT

I think that is a very optimistic spectrum of possibilities. I think it is likely (better than 50%) that Thorson is not 100% at any point next season. Different injury but this has the makings of Dan Persa's return all over again. Unless Thorson's surgery reveals less damage than what is anticipated and/or the staff feels very strongly that one of the other QBs can step in and play at a high level, then I think it is irresponsible not to pursue a grad transfer option. I think the opportunity to compete for the starting job at NU next season would be highly attractive to a QB looking to play and get exposure, particularly when you consider our schedule next year. I don't think we should make a habit of this but the need to look outside the program is a function of not bringing in a true scholarship QB in the Lloyd Yates class. There is a gap in our depth chart at QB and a grad transfer with 1-2 years of eligibility is a perfect option to bridge that gap. The rest of our team is too good to not explore the possibility.
There is a big difference in the injury. Players have had nowhere near the success recovering from an Achillies repair as there has been from an ACL replacement. I would agree it is likely that CT does not get back to 100% during next season but does he need to get to that level? Because of how Persa played, getting back to 100% was much more important to him and unfortunately he did not get there. But I would guess CT only has to get back to 75% to be pretty successful and I would think he would get there.

There is a big difference in the injury. Players have had nowhere near the success recovering from an Achillies repair as there has been from an ACL replacement. I would agree it is likely that CT does not get back to 100% during next season but does he need to get to that level? Because of how Persa played, getting back to 100% was much more important to him and unfortunately he did not get there. But I would guess CT only has to get back to 75% to be pretty successful and I would think he would get there.

Why would Thorson take the risk of coming back to play at 75%?

Maybe if he was 80%? 85%? People toss around recovery percentages like stock quotes. It’s not that simple. If he’s healed enough he will play. If not, then he won’t.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Maybe if he was 80%? 85%? People toss around recovery percentages like stock quotes. It’s not that simple. If he’s healed enough he will play. If not, then he won’t.

If I were him I would not play for NU until I able to perform at the same level I was performing pre injury and when I am at no greater risk of injury to the knee than I was pre injury.

If I were him I would not play for NU until I able to perform at the same level I was performing pre injury and when I am at no greater risk of injury to the knee than I was pre injury.
ACL recovery isn't that simple though. What if he's able to play at 70-80% mobility (and the rest of his game is unaffected), but with no risk of further injury (except to the extent that he's less mobile)?

What if he's just a step slow/less explosive for a year or two? That's typically what happens with ACL tears. If that's the only downside and he's ready by August for the whole season or late September for a shortened 8-9 game season... then what should he do?

You're not going to like this answer, but the base case is that he stays and plays for us (unless the post-surgery timetable is much longer than expected).

ACL recovery isn't that simple though. What if he's able to play at 70-80% mobility (and the rest of his game is unaffected), but with no risk of further injury (except to the extent that he's less mobile)?

What if he's just a step slow/less explosive for a year or two? That's typically what happens with ACL tears. If that's the only downside and he's ready by August for the whole season or late September for a shortened 8-9 game season... then what should he do?

You're not going to like this answer, but the base case is that he stays and plays for us (unless the post-surgery timetable is much longer than expected).

I am not opposed to Clayton staying and playing next year. I have been one of his biggest fans. The argument I've tried to make is that it is probably not in his best interest to do so and therefore it is in NU's best interest to create some additional contingencies plans. The only way I see this not being the case is if his surgery reveals a less severe injury than is anticipated. If you are looking at 9 months or more to get him sufficiently recovered to get on the field, then I just don't see how this makes any sense for Clayton and NU.

Reactions: willycat
I am not opposed to Clayton staying and playing next year. I have been one of his biggest fans. The argument I've tried to make is that it is probably not in his best interest to do so and therefore it is in NU's best interest to create some additional contingencies plans. The only way I see this not being the case is if his surgery reveals a less severe injury than is anticipated. If you are looking at 9 months or more to get him sufficiently recovered to get on the field, then I just don't see how this makes any sense for Clayton and NU.

If there’s one thing I’m confident of, it’s that Fitz looks out for the welfare of his players. I have confidence that Fitz will encourage him to take the steps that are right for him and to avoid the ones that are not.

We just do not know enough to make those decisions for CT ourselves (/s). Have a little trust that the best decisions will be made, given ALL the information that CT and Fitz have available.

he should also insist that he not be a pass receiver when he comes back.

If there’s one thing I’m confident of, it’s that Fitz looks out for the welfare of his players. I have confidence that Fitz will encourage him to take the steps that are right for him and to avoid the ones that are not.

We just do not know enough to make those decisions for CT ourselves (/s). Have a little trust that the best decisions will be made, given ALL the information that CT and Fitz have available.

When you put it that way, what's left to talk about?

Serviceable but are we really going to settle for serviceable if there is the possibility for better? We have a chance at another 10+ win season but not if our QB is only serviceable. The program is on a roll and I would like to see FItz do everything possible to continue that roll rather than take a step back. Not exploring the grad transfer option would be a reflection of the same mentality that has given us underperforming and inconsistent OL play for the last several years.
To be clear, my position is if we have a grad transfer option that is clearly better than we have on the roster now, by all means go for it. If your options are similar, forget about it.

It is not like his performance would be down to 75%. Just his knee does not allow him to perform a couple things at top level. His output is mostly as a passer. Would it restrict the passes he throws? Would his decision making be reduced? Would he be at greater risk of an injury? If the answers to these questions is no, why wouldn't he play? Now, if it restricts him too much, reducing his effectiveness or puts him at significantly increased risk of additional injuries, I might agree with you. But if not, I would think he is better off playing.

If he doesn't play will his draft status be hurt? My guess is yes. If he does and shows better decision making and improvement through the year, I would guess it would improve his status as the people looking at drafting him are likely to take the injury into account

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Was I the only one thinking that even with Thorson, we would have been a 7-5 team next season? Maybe 8-4?

So I don't really understand the "oh-my-god-we-can't-let-this-team-go-to-waste-we-need-to-get-a-grad-transfer" business.

I would prefer to see what we have in the cupboard.
I thought that suggestion was connected to a more difficult schedule.

Was I the only one thinking that even with Thorson, we would have been a 7-5 team next season? Maybe 8-4?

So I don't really understand the "oh-my-god-we-can't-let-this-team-go-to-waste-we-need-to-get-a-grad-transfer" business.

I would prefer to see what we have in the cupboard.
Thinking like that and without Thorson a 6-6 outlook is likely on the horizon at best.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT