ADVERTISEMENT

Hackenburg before Cook

Cook is a douche and he can't hide it...wouldn't surprise me if teams are uneasy about taking him because no one wants to play with/for him.

23 big ten picks so far - most of any conference. What I find interesting is that Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois had more than Iowa and NU.

Hackenburg has that thing that coaches are often mystified by- physical attributes. They always feel that they can coach up any deficiencies.

Cook is a douche and he can't hide it...wouldn't surprise me if teams are uneasy about taking him because no one wants to play with/for him.
It's amazing that he won so much. I assume whoever gets him today will be at least as happy with their selection as the Jets will be with Hack.

In the final analysis, Hack was a bad college quarterback, while Cook was a very good one. While winning games is not predictive of a good nfl career, playing quarterback well would seem to be a good indicator.

Nfl teams are lemmings. Someone smart will draft Cook today, safe in the knowledge that too many teams would be scared off by the publicity surrounding his apparent douchiness.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/04/22/anonymous_scouts_dislike_connor_cook_but_why.html

Minnesota now too. So how did we get to 10-3 a year ago? Maybe coaching?

Don't try to make sense of the parallels between college and the NFL. We had Super Bowl champs on the worst-ranked defense in the nation ~10 years ago. And an NFL QB lead us to a pair of 5-7 seasons.

...And a kid from North Dakota State went #2 in the draft this year.

It's not all apples to apples.

So how did we get to 10-3 a year ago?

Coaching continuity, our guys stay 4-5 years, and a very favorable schedule.

Coaching continuity. We rarely have to replace any coaches. That means our players don't have to adjust to new schemes or new techniques. I think that our coaches are competent at worst and very good at best. We don't seem to have any awful coaches, even if we don't have any studs that get poached by other programs.

Our guys don't leave. We have most of our players for 4 to 5 years, so that's a lot of development opportunities.

Favorable schedule. If you look at our 1995 or 1996 season or 2000, and then look at 2015, you'll notice we didn't play OSU.

Coaching continuity, our guys stay 4-5 years, and a very favorable schedule.

Coaching continuity. We rarely have to replace any coaches. That means our players don't have to adjust to new schemes or new techniques. I think that our coaches are competent at worst and very good at best. We don't seem to have any awful coaches, even if we don't have any studs that get poached by other programs.

Our guys don't leave. We have most of our players for 4 to 5 years, so that's a lot of development opportunities.

Favorable schedule. If you look at our 1995 or 1996 season or 2000, and then look at 2015, you'll notice we didn't play OSU.

I agree Yesterday and have said similar things here previously. I would also add that because of NU's academic requirements, top to bottom the Wildcat players are more mature and more self disciplined than the average college student and certainly more so than the "average" top football recruit.

In the long run talent still typically win out on the field, but that doesn't mean a team like NU can't play competitively, have what would be a good season given the level of talent, and every now and then have a magical run.

We would have gone 13-0 if our QB wasn't a jerk.

Seriously, if Cook is that much of a tool, it's worth scouts noting in their evaluation. The hard part is evidence, and perhaps thw quotes in the article are not revealing locker room or on campus sources of data on Cook, or any QB. Ryan Leaf was a colossal jerk. Tim Couch was a tool. Cade McNown was a butt head. These are picks that any GM would have wanted to do over.

Nfl teams are lemmings. Someone smart will draft Cook today, safe in the knowledge that too many teams would be scared off by the publicity surrounding his apparent douchiness.

Some article (maybe it was the one that you linked but I was too lazy to click) compared Cook to Boomer Esiason, who was maligned coming out of Maryland for the same reason that Cook dropped to the 4th round this year. In retrospect, Esiason would have been a good draft choice, all things being equal--except they're not equal. Esiason was still the first QB chosen in the 1984 draft, while Cook was bypassed over and over again. Also, Jeff Hostetler, who went a round after Esiason, wound up with one major accomplishment that eluded Esiason: a Super Bowl title. And for the record, Hostetler was always better liked around the league than douche Esiason.

We would have gone 13-0 if our QB wasn't a jerk.

Seriously, if Cook is that much of a tool, it's worth scouts noting in their evaluation. The hard part is evidence, and perhaps thw quotes in the article are not revealing locker room or on campus sources of data on Cook, or any QB. Ryan Leaf was a colossal jerk. Tim Couch was a tool. Cade McNown was a butt head. These are picks that any GM would have wanted to do over.

Here's an interesting tidbit that may explain in part why the Browns traded out of the 2nd overall pick. The consensus pick was Wentz, but some scouts view him as arrogant and cocky. Other scouts say that he is confident and a born leader. That's the problem with quarterbacks and why it's difficult to assess personality traits: there's a thin line between confidence and arrogance.

Here's an interesting tidbit that may explain in part why the Browns traded out of the 2nd overall pick. The consensus pick was Wentz, but some scouts view him as arrogant and cocky. Other scouts say that he is confident and a born leader. That's the problem with quarterbacks and why it's difficult to assess personality traits: there's a thin line between confidence and arrogance.
Perhaps, but one could just as easily cite thw weakness of this year's QB class as the reason the Browns got out. They have been burned enough, and may have decided that Wentz was no better than RG3 for them. I could certainly buy that argument. It's not a good class at all.

Hack had better perform well or the NY fans and media will eat him alive. Especially with his ego and smugness.

Hack had better perform well or the NY fans and media will eat him alive. Especially with his ego and smugness.

Actually, he showed a lot of loyalty in staying at Penn State and taking a helluva physical beating on a sanctions-weakened team for two years. There are plenty of things on which you can fault Hack, but I don't think he scores any higher on the ego and smugness scale than a lot of college QBs.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Perhaps, but one could just as easily cite thw weakness of this year's QB class as the reason the Browns got out. They have been burned enough, and may have decided that Wentz was no better than RG3 for them. I could certainly buy that argument. It's not a good class at all.

They may have also thought about next year and the possibility that they'll pick first. Kiper Jr. said it is a glorified expansion team and I think the draft did nothing to change that. Any possible risk was avoided. Although Pro Football Focus really liked most of the selections, I don't know that I would have passed up on Miles Jack in the 2nd round. It was said that Hue Jackson and Jack share an agent, so perhaps Jackson was privy to some inside info on the knee.

That said, who is next year's Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning? How good is Deshaun Watson, a possible first overall pick in 2017? Also, aren't the Niners going to be worse than the Browns anyway (and thus likely to "earn" the top pick)? I would prefer playing in the AFC Central over the NFC West, where two teams are legit Super Bowl contenders and the Rams are basically a .500 team.

The Jets are the graveyard of quarterbacks.

Brett Favre had a good year there. Kenny O'Brien was good for a long time. Pennington was good. Fitzpatrick looked like an all-pro with Decker and Marshall running routes.

The Jets are nowhere close to being to the Browns!

Hackenburg + NY JETS = Definitive Failure
I live in NY and have watched NFL football with a huge Jets fan for a large number of Sundays during Hackenberg's PSU career. He went to Vandy, so follows the SEC more closely and also knows that I follow the B1G very closely. I have been preemptively mocking whoever wastes a high round selection on him for about 2.5 years, and laughing every year at the preseason Big Ten projections that continually say "this is the year" he finally lives up to his potential. It was too funny when the Jets took him, and with a second round pick no less. Hilarious.

At some point when you've been through that many different offenses and still haven't figured it out, it's not just the lack of OL. He just doesn't have the ability to read defenses (which can be taught to some extent) or make good decisions under pressure (which I don't think can be taught in his case). Even under Bill O Brien, a great offensive mind, and with Allen Robinson (!!) and other excellent wideouts on the perimeter, his best play was basically look for 1 on 1 coverage presnap and then throw up a fade to that side. Good luck to Christian representing the conference in the NFL, but I just don't see it...

Reactions: NUCat320
Hackenburg has that thing that coaches are often mystified by- physical attributes. They always feel that they can coach up any deficiencies.
He was a great looking prospect under the first HC, he and Franklin didn't get along and he was sacked mercilessly.
He will probably end up the better player, he does have a canon.

I live in NY and have watched NFL football with a huge Jets fan for a large number of Sundays during Hackenberg's PSU career. He went to Vandy, so follows the SEC more closely and also knows that I follow the B1G very closely. I have been preemptively mocking whoever wastes a high round selection on him for about 2.5 years, and laughing every year at the preseason Big Ten projections that continually say "this is the year" he finally lives up to his potential. It was too funny when the Jets took him, and with a second round pick no less. Hilarious.

At some point when you've been through that many different offenses and still haven't figured it out, it's not just the lack of OL. He just doesn't have the ability to read defenses (which can be taught to some extent) or make good decisions under pressure (which I don't think can be taught in his case). Even under Bill O Brien, a great offensive mind, and with Allen Robinson (!!) and other excellent wideouts on the perimeter, his best play was basically look for 1 on 1 coverage presnap and then throw up a fade to that side. Good luck to Christian representing the conference in the NFL, but I just don't see it...

I believe you will be proven 100% wrong but it will take 3 years.

At some point when you've been through that many different offenses and still haven't figured it out, it's not just the lack of OL. He just doesn't have the ability to read defenses (which can be taught to some extent) or make good decisions under pressure (which I don't think can be taught in his case).

Based on what I've seen of him, he's way too deliberate (read slow) in the pocket and doesn't handle intense pass rushing very well...that was certainly the case against Northwestern for the last two games.

He was very good under his first HC, wasn't in the right system under Franklin, didn't like each other either, supposedly.
Connor Cook is a fifth year 23 year old, Hackenberg is 21 and played for three years.In most college QB situations, Hackenberg would be coming off of three years of QB study and would be playing his first season as a starter this upcoming season.

He was very good under his first HC, wasn't in the right system under Franklin, didn't like each other either, supposedly.
Connor Cook is a fifth year 23 year old, Hackenberg is 21 and played for three years.In most college QB situations, Hackenberg would be coming off of three years of QB study and would be playing his first season as a starter this upcoming season.
I like Hackensack much better after it became apparent he didn't like Franklin.

Reactions: NUCat320
His dad is even worse, apparently--a xenophobic, homophobic, bullying hot head. At least based on his tweets.
Why is he xenophobic? did he make some outrageous comment like, " In my opinion , the immigration laws of the U.S. of America should be enforced and I, for one, am worried, about letting in terrorists and millions looking for free Medical, which is bankrupting our system OR did he say, "I hate foreigners!"
Just curious.

Why is he xenophobic? did he make some outrageous comment like, " In my opinion , the immigration laws of the U.S. of America should be enforced and I, for one, am worried, about letting in terrorists and millions looking for free Medical, which is bankrupting our system OR did he say, "I hate foreigners!"
Just curious.
Among other things, he's a Trump supporter.

Just curious.
In case you don't want to click....
Cht24reUkAELUZA-2.jpg

Sorry, didn't come back until now.
I was defending Trump, don't know anything about Cook , except It isn't unusual for the second rung of QBS to go in the late third and early fourth RD.
The last MSU QB went in the fourth also, if I remember correctly.
I didn't think Cook was much better than Stave and Stave didn't get drafted at all.
Additionally, no team passes on a player because their dad called somebody a foreigner. LMAO.

Sorry, didn't come back until now.
I was defending Trump, don't know anything about Cook , except It isn't unusual for the second rung of QBS to go in the late third and early fourth RD.
The last MSU QB went in the fourth also, if I remember correctly.
I didn't think Cook was much better than Stave and Stave didn't get drafted at all.
Additionally, no team passes on a player because their dad called somebody a foreigner. LMAO.
Lmao. I see you know nothing about the NFL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT