ADVERTISEMENT

Hankwitz

These are the basic tenets of the Hankwitz "bend but don't break" defense, no? How come Hank is so successful with it, where Colby failed? I guess the devil's in the details of how to apply that kind of defense.
Not really. Colby used the 3-man rush way more than Hank, and our DBs have played much closer to the receivers with Hank, although he has often backed them up a bit because of all the DB injuries (at least that is my assumption). But the biggest difference is the mentality and first step - with Hank's defense the idea is to attack and disrupt, whereas with Colby my understanding was to pause, read, and then react (this doesn't mean that the defensive players now aren't reading offensive signs, but it is an attack versus react approach).

Not really. Colby used the 3-man rush way more than Hank, and our DBs have played much closer to the receivers with Hank, although he has often backed them up a bit because of all the DB injuries (at least that is my assumption). But the biggest difference is the mentality and first step - with Hank's defense the idea is to attack and disrupt, whereas with Colby my understanding was to pause, read, and then react (this doesn't mean that the defensive players now aren't reading offensive signs, but it is an attack versus react approach).
And I thought it was Pause, read and Pause again

These are the basic tenets of the Hankwitz "bend but don't break" defense, no? How come Hank is so successful with it, where Colby failed? I guess the devil's in the details of how to apply that kind of defense.
This is a really good point. As we learn and grow we are often reactionary. Seeing the difference between a "bend but don't break" D that works compared to one that doesn't may mean the world to Tim's development.

This is a really good point. As we learn and grow we are often reactionary. Seeing the difference between a "bend but don't break" D that works compared to one that doesn't may mean the world to Tim's development.

Should we start calling him “Tim the Enchanter”?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT