ADVERTISEMENT

Happy for Mike Riley and Nebraska

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not seen such video. If you have such video I'd be glad to see it. All the video I've seen isn't very clear.
The video I linked above (from ESPN) as well as the screenshot both show ZERO contact in the general vicinity of the spot where he stepped out of bound before he did so. There is a significant separation between the players (probably 1.5 yards, using the yard markers as reference). Any contact in the general vicinity of the play was AFTER he was already or had been out of bound.
Watching that video makes me extremely angry. The individuals responsible are either extremely incompetent, or dishonest, or both. Neither the call nor the non-reversal can be excused or justified.

The video I linked above (from ESPN) as well as the screenshot both show ZERO contact in the general vicinity of the spot where he stepped out of bound before he did so. There is a significant separation between the players (probably 1.5 yards, using the yard markers as reference). Any contact in the general vicinity of the play was AFTER he was already or had been out of bound.
Watching that video makes me extremely angry. The individuals responsible are either extremely incompetent, or dishonest, or both. Neither the call nor the non-reversal can be excused or justified.

I disagree. The video does not show what you state it does. The replay official (not the ref) got it right. It was not reversible as the video is not indisputable.

I disagree. The video does not show what you state it does. The replay official (not the ref) got it right. It was not reversible as the video is not indisputable.
So what exactly would satisfy your standard of proving that something DID NOT happen? Should there have been an official running between both players at all time, to prove that there was a clear separation between them? What else could there have been?
You say WHATEVER YOU WANT. The rest of us can see that there was ZERO CONTACT before the Nebraska player went out of bound, and it is a monumental shame that the individual(s) paid to (a) make the call, and (b) reverse it chose not to do their jobs.

SHAME ON THEM. They MUST BE SANCTIONED.

So what exactly would satisfy your standard of proving that something DID NOT happen? Should there have been an official running between both players at all time, to prove that there was a clear separation between them? What else could there have been?
You say WHATEVER YOU WANT. The rest of us can see that there was ZERO CONTACT before the Nebraska player went out of bound, and it is a monumental shame that the individual(s) paid to (a) make the call, and (b) reverse it chose not to do their jobs.

SHAME ON THEM. They MUST BE SANCTIONED.

Actual video that shows no contact. In the video you showed it's impossible to SEE, not "speculate based on where the players were" that there was no contact. The perspective taken in the video has the players overlapping. They could very well have been touching. I find it hard to believe that there isn't a closer angle from the sideline, but I haven't seen it. And since you have yet to post it, I guess you haven't either.

Actual video that shows no contact. In the video you showed it's impossible to SEE, not "speculate based on where the players were" that there was no contact.
It is impossible FOR YOU to see there was no contact. The rest of us can see that there was ZERO CONTACT before the Nebraska player went out of bound.

You say WHATEVER YOU WANT.

It is impossible FOR YOU to see there was no contact. The rest of us can see that there was ZERO CONTACT before the Nebraska player went out of bound.

In the video you linked to, it's impossible to see the players' hands. No matter how loud you yell, you can't dispute that. If you're so sure, show a screenshot in which the hands are circled. I'd pick a different angle though because the video you've used until this point is crap.

Why on earth do you care so much? Good for THE REAL NU! It makes our win against the fake NU look better.

In the video you linked to, it's impossible to see the players' hands. No matter how loud you yell, you can't dispute that. If you're so sure, show a screenshot in which the hands are circled. I'd pick a different angle though because the video you've used until this point is crap.

You can tell from the one from behind when the initial contact happened. It happened after he stepped out. You're just making things up if you think MSU didn't get screwed by the replay ref or that it wasn't crystal clear that the initial contact happened inside the 12.

You can tell from the one from behind when the initial contact happened. It happened after he stepped out. You're just making things up if you think MSU didn't get screwed by the replay ref or that it wasn't crystal clear that the initial contact happened inside the 12.

In the only video shown on the broadcast (See at 1:15 here: http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14078271), the angle you speak of starts pretty much when he steps out of bounds. You cannot see whether there was any contact between the receiver and the defender in the 2-3 seconds prior to that. I'm not stating the contact was enough to force him out of bounds, but if there was ANY whatsoever, they made the right call by not reversing it, because you can't review whether the contact was enough for force him out. It's a non-reviewable judgement call by the official.

You can only reverse it if the video indisputably shows zero contact.

As I said, I have to imagine there IS a closer or clearer sideline angle (say, from the end zone) that might show zero contact, but I have yet to see it.

The Big Ten has now released an official statement on the matter, in which they confirm what I suspected, that contact occurred. They have access to the actual video from all available angles, whereas we do not.

"Officials utilized proper officiating mechanics to indicate that a Nebraska wide receiver stepped out of bounds before returning to the field of play. ... In the judgment of the official, the Nebraska player went out of bounds due to contact by the Michigan State player, then returned to the field of play and established himself before catching the touchdown pass. The instant replay crew then stopped the game to review if there was clear evidence of contact, if the Nebraska player re-established himself in the field of play and completed the catch. Per NCAA rules, the instant replay crew cannot review the severity of contact, as that is a judgment call handled by the officials on the field. .... The instant replay crew did confirm contact between the players, that the wide receiver re-established himself in the field of play and completed the catch."

villox 1, Stupor & Felis, 0.

Sorry, they are covering their ass, no way was he forced out in my opinion. I can maybe buy that the replay officials couldn't overturn it, but the original call was bull, again, in my opinion. And it pains me tremendously to agree we with Felis.

The C:

"Why on earth do you care so much? Good for THE REAL NU! It makes our win against the fake NU look better."

Are you a MSU fan and/or had money on the game? Serious question, not trying to be cute.

Sorry, they are covering their ass, no way was he forced out in my opinion. I can maybe buy that the replay officials couldn't overturn it, but the original call was bull, again, in my opinion. And it pains me tremendously to agree we with Felis.

They did not pass judgement as to whether the official's judgement of him being forced out was correct, so I don't think they're doing any CYA. All they said was that the replay officials determined that there was some contact, and therefore it was not reversible. I'm guessing they have access to the replay videos in which they positively determined there was contact (and what's more, it would have to have been indisputable that there was not). I too lean toward saying it didn't look like he was forced out and that original judgement was incorrect.

If you buy that the replay officials couldn't overturn it, you are not in agreement with Felis or Stupor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT