ADVERTISEMENT

Haywood Y.

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I think it's time for us to request that you share what you can about what you have seen/know about the team this year.

How do we look? Any bones to throw our way? Who is going to surprise? Are we going back to the Dance? Will we contend for the B1G?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Thank you.

“ECat, thanks for your inquiry. Yes, we are in fact going back to the NCAA tournament and will contend for the Big Ten title. Clear your schedule, it’s going to be a season to remember!”

I think it's time for us to request that you share what you can about what you have seen/know about the team this year.

How do we look? Any bones to throw our way? Who is going to surprise? Are we going back to the Dance? Will we contend for the B1G?

Thank you.

most things have been said
* good team chemistry
* very long and athletic squad
* nance will be very good as the year goes on
* greer will surprise

Thank you.

i think it would be better if the board had some stupid argument where carmody is brought back up again.

Man, you buried the lede:

This is probably the best news I have read preseason.

Maybe I’m mistaken, but didn’t Haywood (and others in the know) previously suggest both Ryans could redshirt? Did something change?

Maybe I’m mistaken, but didn’t Haywood (and others in the know) previously suggest both Ryans could redshirt? Did something change?

I've suggested it based merely on available minutes, but not because of any inside info. Certainly, if there's hard info to the contrary, I'd gladly own it.

most things have been said
* good team chemistry
* very long and athletic squad
* nance will be very good as the year goes on
* greer will surprise

i think it would be better if the board had some stupid argument where carmody is brought back up again.

Thanks. Taylor and Turner. Are they the goods or what? What can we expect from them?

Did Bill Carmody ever bring talent like this to Evanston?

Thanks again.

Listen. Screw all this pansy-ass crap. I'm going out on a limb and calling it. Tournament.

This year will be the true distillation of what it means to have Collins as coach.

It's supposed to be a transition year, a down year.

Truth is, NU has never had more talent. Nor more athletic size.

This team is going to be able to play man the entire time.

It's going to be an in your face, nasty defense that never lets up.

With a competent offense that has the potential to shoot lights out.

Longer bench, lots of guys rotating in to maintain the level of effort.

For me it's all about runs. This team will go on a run, string together 6-7 Big Ten wins in a row. And make the dance comfortably.

I think they'll also play Saturday in the Big Ten Tournament.

There's just no replacement for senior leadership and experience.

Listen. Screw all this pansy-ass crap. I'm going out on a limb and calling it. Tournament.

This year will be the true distillation of what it means to have Collins as coach.

For me it's all about runs. This team will go on a run, string together 6-7 Big Ten wins in a row. And make the dance comfortably.

Great post. I agree with you. But what do I know, I believe the earth is round.

Love it!

Thanks. Taylor and Turner. Are they the goods or what? What can we expect from them?

Thanks again.

yes both RG and RY could redshirt, but RG has surprised

both are good. one is adjusting to playing at a high level everyday, one is coming off a year sitting out. both need high level consistency.

Agree. I think we contend for the B1G title. Not sure we will win it, but we will be top 3.

Good to hear the optimism and I like that the ‘cats are undervalued in the preseason predictions, but a lot of NU’s problems will resurface with how they handle other team’s top returning veteran true PGs. The teams at the top of the Big 10, all have veteran and talented PGs - MSU - Winston (former top recruit), UM - Xavier Simpson (former 4 star recruit who NU recruited), Purdue - Carson Edwards - 4 star recruit and early contender for Big 10 POY, Maryland - Anthony Cowan - lightning quick PG who has killed the ‘cats, UNL - 4-year starter Glynn Watson who was teammates with Ash and was the starting PG on his high school state champion team, UW - Brad Davison - gritty, hard nose PG who NU recruited that played most of last season injured. Those are the top tier (6 teams) in the Big 10 and all have skilled returning PGs. NU needs all hands on deck so the talk of redshirting Greer makes no sense considering Ash coming off knee or leg injuries and is not a PG. He reclassified and came to NU one year early to play this season and not to RS. I am hoping that Gaines or Turner or Taylor can help out at PG in limited minutes, but they have not proven to handle the point. Maybe Gaines can guard them and hopefully, he has worked on his skills so he can play more minutes, but this is only a hope right now.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Good to hear the optimism and I like that the ‘cats are undervalued in the preseason predictions, but a lot of NU’s problems will resurface with how they handle other team’s top returning veteran true PGs. The teams at the top of the Big 10, all have veteran and talented PGs - MSU - Winston (former top recruit), UM - Xavier Simpson (former 4 star recruit who NU recruited), Purdue - Carson Edwards - 4 star recruit and early contender for Big 10 POY, Maryland - Anthony Cowan - lightning quick PG who has killed the ‘cats, UNL - 4-year starter Glynn Watson who was teammates with Ash and was the starting PG on his high school state champion team, UW - Brad Davison - gritty, hard nose PG who NU recruited that played most of last season injured. Those are the top tier (6 teams) in the Big 10 and all have skilled returning PGs. NU needs all hands on deck so the talk of redshirting Greer makes no sense considering Ash coming off knee or leg injuries and is not a PG. He reclassified and came to NU one year early to play this season and not to RS. I am hoping that Gaines or Turner or Taylor can help out at PG in limited minutes, but they have not proven to handle the point. Maybe Gaines can guard them and hopefully, he has worked on his skills so he can play more minutes, but this is only a hope right now.

I tend to forget about Ash, perhaps due to having Wrassler on ignore. But, if Turner really can be the primary ball handler, I like being able to switch between Ash and Gaines to play high effort D on these PGs in the B1G. And when you foul, make sure they feel it.

Reggie Dunlop:
. They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there. Get that f***in' stick in their side. Let 'em know you're there! Get that lumber in his teeth. Let 'em know you're there!

Wrong sport?

I tend to forget about Ash, perhaps due to having Wrassler on ignore. But, if Turner really can be the primary ball handler, I like being able to switch between Ash and Gaines to play high effort D on these PGs in the B1G. And when you foul, make sure they feel it.

Reggie Dunlop:
. They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there. Get that f***in' stick in their side. Let 'em know you're there! Get that lumber in his teeth. Let 'em know you're there!

Wrong sport?
You forgot, "Bleed all over 'em; let 'em know you're there!"

Let it go, man.

Shurna, Crawford, Cobb, Coble, Juice.......

This.

Tho, the problem was health and having these type of players spread out too much in diff. classes.

Doubt anyone thinks BC is on the same plane as CC when it comes to recruiting (some of it was his own doing, but some of it was the lack of institutional support); at the same time, CC needs to be since he's not trying to plug the gap playing a different scheme.

But speaking of transfers like Turner and Taylor, BC did get transfers from powerhouses like Dook and Louisville.

And in terms of talent/experience, think the 2012-13 team was fairly close to this team (Cobb, Hearn, Crawford, Olah, Swopshire, Lumpkin, Demps); the biggest difference being at the 5.

Let it go, man.

Shurna, Crawford, Cobb, Coble, Juice.......
I would suggest you let it go. 13 years and yes he brought in a few nice players (even the blind squirrel finds and acorn now and again) but not nearly enough. CC has brought in more talent over a much shorter time frame

Reactions: willycat
I would suggest you let it go. 13 years and yes he brought in a few nice players (even the blind squirrel finds and acorn now and again) but not nearly enough. CC has brought in more talent over a much shorter time frame

Neither one has put together a consistent winner or contended for the conference title. At least Collins has time. i believe the only way for a school like ours to break through remains to recruit well every year and build classes that stay together all four years. I don’t know why it didn’t work last year — well, we have heard a lot of chatter about ‘why,’ but why that it had to happen like that isn’t easy to understand when you have so many veterans.

I think Vic Law will be a big factor now that he's completely healthy and put on some muscle. I expect him to average at least 18 ppg while locking down the other team's best player.

Neither one has put together a consistent winner or contended for the conference title. At least Collins has time. i believe the only way for a school like ours to break through remains to recruit well every year and build classes that stay together all four years. I don’t know why it didn’t work last year — well, we have heard a lot of chatter about ‘why,’ but why that it had to happen like that isn’t easy to understand when you have so many veterans.
Well from reports it seems like at least one of those veterans were part of the problem. Sure having players that stay for years sound good but in order for NU to make a jump into top of the conference , they need to get a few one or two and done guys. Baldwin?

12 and 6 is also much more likely than 18.

I could explain why Vic is a very unlikely candidate for 18 a game but I think just setting reasonable expectation is enough. That being said, if he does score 18 at game, NU would likely be a top 20 team.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
A lot will depend on how the rest of the Conference looks......how does the rest of the Conference look.?.....I think we will be competitive but whether we get a lot of Ws will depend on how the competition is......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT