ADVERTISEMENT

Holiday Bowl activities

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA
Sharing an e-mail I received from the NU Club of San Diego about Holiday Bowl activities. See below....

SDCCU Holiday Bowl - December 31, 2018
Northwestern Wildcats vs. Utah Utes -- SDCCU Stadium

In preparation for the Holiday Bowl, there are a number of events that will take place.

The first one is a:

Suite Purchase Showcase Event

Thursday, December 13, 3pm-5pm

SDCCU Stadium

Come check out suite options for purchase. Holiday Bowl staff will be on hand to showcase available suites for the game. Cheer on the 'Cats from the privacy of your own suite. Snacks and beverages will be provided.

Please RSVP if you are interested in this event and more detailed info will be provided.

Holiday Bowl Events

In addition, here is the lineup for the other events leading up to the Holiday Bowl:

December 25 -- Team Arrival - welcome the Wildcats to San Diego!

December 29 -- Team Day at Sea World

December 30 -- Battle of the Bands and Nation Funding Kickoff Luncheon

December 31 -- Holiday Bowl Game Day
  • Port of San Diego Holiday Bowl Parade
  • Dexcom NYE Pregame Party
  • Technology Integration Group VIP Tailgate Party
  • San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl
More information will be available within the upcoming days, including fee information for selected events.

Game Tickets

Tickets to the Holiday Bowl game are available through the Northwestern Wildcat Ticket Office (800-GO-PURPLE) or by clicking here.

NAA Bowl packages info and purchases can be made here.

Get ready to welcome the Wildcats to San Diego!

Go 'Cats!!

Randy Bennett
NU Club of San Diego

https://admin.alumni.northwestern.e...e=1&puid=bbcf251b-0137-42b3-ae00-b5de65f1af9a

Last edited:
WestCoast, lets us know if you decide to buy a suite at SDCCU. Happy to stop by and partake in a frothy beverage if you do. And If they toss in catering by In-N-Out, ya might find HungryJack at your doorway too.

Reactions: rmndcat
For those who have not been to the San Diego Zoo, I highly recommend it. I think it may be the best zoo in the world.

If you're bringing the young uns, don't miss LEGOLAND.

WestCoast, lets us know if you decide to buy a suite at SDCCU. Happy to stop by and partake in a frothy beverage if you do. And If they toss in catering by In-N-Out, ya might find HungryJack at your doorway too.
I was thinking the same thing about the skybox suites. I have not been to the former Q stadium for many years. It will be interesting to see what kind of condition it is in.

As I’ve posted, the plans are to demolish the stadium and replace it with a smaller one of about 35-40k capacity as the new home for San Diego State football. The City of San Diego voters in the fall voted in favor of the SDSU proposal to sell the entire Qualcomm site to SDSU for the university to build “SDSU West” which would be connected to the main campus by the trolley. Holiday Bowl games and Aztec football home games might be played at Petco Park downtown on an interim basis while the old stadium is being demolished and the new one is being built. The old Q is a financial albatross for the city now that the Chargers fled north. It will be interesting to see how quickly plans for development of the site move forward.

There are plenty of In-N-Outs around for Hungry Jack to partake. As the Commander Cody song goes - “Two Triple Cheese, side order of fries!”

We're getting into town on the 27th. I have been disappointed by how few pre-game day events there are (almost none). But I doubt we will have troubling finding good things to do in SD.

Went to the Cal-NU game at Cal and there NU threw a really great pre-game fiesta, so they know how to do that.

Had a call from the guy I always attend games with - he had a free ticket to SD which we couldn't accept.

Party on.

San Diego has some very good Italian restaurants in L'il Italy and there is a good sports bar ,The Princess, nearby-only a 5 minute walk from the trolley stop

We're getting into town on the 27th. I have been disappointed by how few pre-game day events there are (almost none). But I doubt we will have troubling finding good things to do in SD.

If you have young ones with (say 10 and under) and you're looking for attractions, I'd take in the following, by priority.

1. Legoland
2. Sea World
3. Midway Museum
4. San DIego Zoo

If you have young ones with (say 10 and under) and you're looking for attractions, I'd take in the following, by priority.

1. Legoland
2. Sea World
3. Midway Museum
4. San DIego Zoo

What if you have no young ones and you are >50 -- still OK to go to any of those?

Zoo
Animal park outside of San Diego are two top attractions

I took my kids to legoland. I’d skip it. Nothing great.

Sea world isn’t bad

Sharing an e-mail I received from the NU Club of San Diego about Holiday Bowl activities. See below....

SDCCU Holiday Bowl - December 31, 2018
Northwestern Wildcats vs. Utah Utes -- SDCCU Stadium

In preparation for the Holiday Bowl, there are a number of events that will take place.

The first one is a:

Suite Purchase Showcase Event

Thursday, December 13, 3pm-5pm

SDCCU Stadium

Come check out suite options for purchase. Holiday Bowl staff will be on hand to showcase available suites for the game. Cheer on the 'Cats from the privacy of your own suite. Snacks and beverages will be provided.

Please RSVP if you are interested in this event and more detailed info will be provided.

Holiday Bowl Events

In addition, here is the lineup for the other events leading up to the Holiday Bowl:

December 25 -- Team Arrival - welcome the Wildcats to San Diego!

December 29 -- Team Day at Sea World

December 30 -- Battle of the Bands and Nation Funding Kickoff Luncheon

December 31 -- Holiday Bowl Game Day
  • Port of San Diego Holiday Bowl Parade
  • Dexcom NYE Pregame Party
  • Technology Integration Group VIP Tailgate Party
  • San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl
More information will be available within the upcoming days, including fee information for selected events.

Game Tickets

Tickets to the Holiday Bowl game are available through the Northwestern Wildcat Ticket Office (800-GO-PURPLE) or by clicking here.

NAA Bowl packages info and purchases can be made here.

Get ready to welcome the Wildcats to San Diego!

Go 'Cats!!

Randy Bennett
NU Club of San Diego

https://admin.alumni.northwestern.e...e=1&puid=bbcf251b-0137-42b3-ae00-b5de65f1af9a
Wrassler will also have a busy schedule. On the couch for pregame activities, Then meander to the fridge! Get back on the couch by the time Clayton hands off to Bowser up the gut! Then wind down with some tape delayed highlights of our win! Or if we lose, listen to Fitz say, “ Just Flush it”!

Wrassler will also have a busy schedule. On the couch for pregame activities, Then meander to the fridge! Get back on the couch by the time Clayton hands off to Bowser up the gut! Then wind down with some tape delayed highlights of our win! Or if we lose, listen to Fitz say, “ Just Flush it”!
I can mail to you a burger from In N Out. It might have some stuff growing on it by the time it arrives, but you can always scrape off the furry looking stuff and enjoy that burger.

I was thinking the same thing about the skybox suites. I have not been to the former Q stadium for many years. It will be interesting to see what kind of condition it is in.

As I’ve posted, the plans are to demolish the stadium and replace it with a smaller one of about 35-40k capacity as the new home for San Diego State football. The City of San Diego voters in the fall voted in favor of the SDSU proposal to sell the entire Qualcomm site to SDSU for the university to build “SDSU West” which would be connected to the main campus by the trolley. Holiday Bowl games and Aztec football home games might be played at Petco Park downtown on an interim basis while the old stadium is being demolished and the new one is being built. The old Q is a financial albatross for the city now that the Chargers fled north. It will be interesting to see how quickly plans for development of the site move forward.

There are plenty of In-N-Outs around for Hungry Jack to partake. As the Commander Cody song goes - “Two Triple Cheese, side order of fries!”

That's a lot of calories. I know it's good stuff, but take it easy.

What if you have no young ones and you are >50 -- still OK to go to any of those?

The Zoo is fun for all ages. Sea World probably too if you're with a woman. I never been to the Midway Museum, but it sounds cool, and probably appeals to people who were in the War.

1. Legoland
2. Sea World
3. Midway Museum
4. San DIego Zoo

Skip Legoland

Zoo
Animal park outside of San Diego are two top attractions

I took my kids to legoland. I’d skip it. Nothing great.

Sea world isn’t bad
We did Legoland Florida when my kids were 8, 6, and 3 1/2. We had lots of fun. They’re really into legos, tho.

1. Legoland
2. Sea World
3. Midway Museum
4. San DIego Zoo

I'd add the rest of the Balboa Park museums and garden if you are going to the Zoo.

La Jolla tidepools are worthwhile for kids, too.

Reactions: LACatFan
For those local to San Diego, what do you guys think of Chicago Brothers Pizzeria? It’s owned by a couple of guys that I went to High School with back in Chicago and have heard some good things but never tried it.

My 10 yo prefers Legoland over everything else.

I don't understand all the hate for Legoland either. If your kids love legos, then it will be a winner (and what kid doesn't love legos).

Just like the Hello Kitty park is a winner if you have a daughter who likes Hello Kitty.

For those local to San Diego, what do you guys think of Chicago Brothers Pizzeria? It’s owned by a couple of guys that I went to High School with back in Chicago and have heard some good things but never tried it.
Very familiar with Chicago Brothers Pizza. They had a few restaurants in the county and also sold frozen pizzas thru Price Club/Costco for years before they closed their restaurants. One of the original owners runs Milton’s Deli in the Flowerhill shopping center in Del Mar. They do the old ChiBros pizza every Fri-Sun from 4-8pm.

The Spot in La Jolla was started by the original owner of The Spot in Evanston but has gone thru some ownership changes over the years. The Spot-La Jolla still serves Chicago deep dish pizza but I personally prefer their thin crust. It is a popular local late night watering hole, open every night until 1am except on Sat when open until 2am. Highly recommend lunch or dinner and walking around the village. If you have kids walk over to the Children’s Pool area to see the seals on the beach.

Links:
The Spot in downtown La Jolla
https://thespotonline.com/La_Jolla_La_Jolla_The_Spot_about?&domain=thespotonline.com

Milton’s Deli in the Flowerhill Mall in Del Mar (across from the racetrack near I-5)
https://miltonsdeli.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Very familiar with Chicago Brothers Pizza. They had a few restaurants in the county and also sold frozen pizzas thru Price Club/Costco for years before they closed their restaurants. One of the original owners runs Milton’s Deli in the Flowerhill shopping center in Del Mar. They do the old ChiBros pizza every Fri-Sun from 4-8pm.

The Spot in La Jolla was started by the original owner of The Spot in Evanston but has gone thru some ownership changes over the years. The Spot-La Jolla still serves Chicago deep dish pizza but I personally prefer their thin crust. It is a popular local late night watering hole, open every night until 1am except on Sat when open until 2am. Highly recommend lunch or dinner and walking around the village. If you have kids walk over to the Children’s Pool area to see the seals on the beach.

Links:
The Spot in downtown La Jolla
https://thespotonline.com/La_Jolla_La_Jolla_The_Spot_about?&domain=thespotonline.com

Milton’s Deli in the Flowerhill Mall in Del Mar (across from the racetrack near I-5)
https://miltonsdeli.com/

Maybe we are talking about different places. The place I am referring to seems to be still open based the recent Yelp reviews. I think the actual name is Chicago Bros Pizzeria.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/chicago-bros-pizzeria-san-diego

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT