ADVERTISEMENT

Horten-Tucker gets Fla St and MSU offers

Well he's obviously been waiting for something else. Was it Michigan State?

Well he's obviously been waiting for something else. Was it Michigan State?

Not possible that he was just waiting to be sure how he felt? Not wanting to make a decision until all the fact are in.

Does he want the future of BB or the past?

Huh? How could it possibly be a bad thing that Tom Izzo and MSU have averaged almost 12 B1G wins since 1997-1998 and made the NCAA tournament every year?

I know we're all NU fans around here (at least I hope so) and that we're all fans of the direction the program is headed under Collins (at least I hope so), but let's not pretend that MSU/Izzo are some has-been program that's down on its luck. They're a very VERY good basketball program that's a fringe top-10 heading into the 2017 season, continues to bring in very talented recruits, and is a fit for a guy like THT who will probably not be leaving early for the NBA.

Reactions: SmellyCat
It's going to be very difficult for THT to get meaningful minutes at MSU before his junior/senior year. The MSU roster is jam packed with highly skilled wings and power forwards.

Really depends on what the young man is looking for.

As recently as last year, this recruiting battle with MSU would have been over before it started, but not this year. NU now has momentum on the court and in recruiting. CCC will have to win his share of these battles to build the team he wants. If he wins this one, how bright will the future be? HE MIGHT, HE MIGHT, HE MIGHT!

As recently as last year, this recruiting battle with MSU would have been over before it started, but not this year. NU now has momentum on the court and in recruiting. CCC will have to win his share of these battles to build the team he wants. If he wins this one, how bright will the future be? HE MIGHT, HE MIGHT, HE MIGHT!

Here's what us NU fans need to get used to real quick:

(1) Collins is going to be offering every kid he can who has the skill set and athleticism he is looking for.
(2) A lot of these kids won't have interest in NU from the get go.
(3) There are going to be dozens of recruiting battles Collins loses. To see them all this year, just go to Verbal Commits and check out the offers open and then recognize the number of kids who Collins offered and got away.
(4) For every player where another program jumps in late, there will be a Bryant McIntosh who was committed to Indiana State until the July evaluation period or Jordan Lathon where NU showed up late to the game and got him to commit. FYI, Lathon is out for the July evaluation period due to his recent surgery.
(5) All three of NU's reported top targets are blowing up right now and this will happen more and more. Recruiting is about exposure and when a kid like Bey does not play a ton (relative to other prospects) bc he has issues due to growing so fast, he is not getting exposure.
(6) There are lots of really good players so don't freak if Collins misses.
(7) To get NU to the final four, Collins will need to land 2 or 3 top 50 players with legit pro prospects.
(8) This is so much more fun then sucking!

Last edited:
Let us not forget that Mark Smith, who grew up a big MSU fan, was also "blessed" of something along those lines to get an offer from MSU. He went up there for an official visit. Chose the closer school in Champaign. Yes, it was not NU in the end, but MSU is not an instant loss just because they offer. Even schools like Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas do t automatically land kids once they offer. We have to be up for the competition.

For the Cats to remain on the desired trajectory, we need to face off against the best, both on the court and in recruiting battles. Can't shy away from the heat. As Ecat put it, we can't fall into Northwestern Syndrome, this almost victim mentality where we don't expect to be capable of competing with the best. I'm sure the coaches don't see it that way, nor do I believe the players feel that way. We, the fans, need to come around as well. Expect Victory! We believed once, need to do so again.

Let us not forget that Mark Smith, who grew up a big MSU fan, was also "blessed" of something along those lines to get an offer from MSU.

Nojel Eastern also.

Now, we need the Cats to be on the side of one of these wins.

As for the Northwestern Syndrome, where are the meetings? My name is Sec. 112, and I have a problem.

As I said in another post, old habits are hard to break.

Here's what us NU fans need to get used to real quick:

(1) Collins is going to be offering every kid he can who has the skill set and athleticism he is looking for.
(2) A lot of these kids won't have interest in NU from the get go.
(3) There are going to be dozens of recruiting battles Collins loses. To see them all this year, just go to Verbal Commits and check out the offers open and then recognize the number of kids who Collins offered and got away.
(4) For every player where another program jumps in late, there will be a Bryant McIntosh who was committed to Indiana State until the July evaluation period or Jordan Lathon where NU showed up late to the game and got him to commit. FYI, Lathon is out for the July evaluation period due to his recent surgery.
(5) All three of NU's reported top targets are blowing up right now and this will happen more and more. Recruiting is about exposure and when a kid like Bey does not play a ton (relative to other prospects) bc he has issues due to growing so fast, he is not getting exposure.
(6) There are lots of really good players so don't freak if Collins misses.
(7) To get NU to the final four, Collins will need to land 2 or 3 top 50 players with legit pro prospects.
(8) This is so much more fun then sucking!

This is a good post, Max.

Chances are that msu gets him in my opinion. We dont normally win these battles. Maybe a new arena and a good bigten year can make a difference.

NU will be in more battles with top programs for kids. NU offers both a young coach and rising program with a strong academic school. That will be compelling for some kids and their parents, while others are focused on just basketball may go elsewhere.

Michigan State is more competitive for the latter. Stanford, Michigan and Notre Dame are more competitive for the former. Kansas, Duke are still chasing more of the one and done, which are probably not NU territory now or ever. I like our chances with THT, a Chicago kid, who we hope will have academics in the equation.

Chances are that msu gets him in my opinion. We dont normally win these battles. Maybe a new arena and a good bigten year can make a difference.
But being 20 minutes away from home so family and friends can easily see him play on a regular basis. While he might like MSU, last I checked it is about 4 hours away. Plus, if he is academically inclined, whole lot easier if everyone on the team has a similar mentality.

But being 20 minutes away from home so family and friends can easily see him play on a regular basis. While he might like MSU, last I checked it is about 4 hours away. Plus, if he is academically inclined, whole lot easier if everyone on the team has a similar mentality.

Against the grain of conventional wisdom, I am sticking with my THT to NU prediction. Pre MSU offer I was 70 percent confident. Now I think it's a coin flip. Which means we are still a player in this...with two high quality prospects already in the fold.

This is fun.

GOUNUII

Reactions: NUCat320

Driving straight through to ELansing takes about five hours and could cost you brain damage/your future. There is lots of stressful traffic with many opportunities to experience road-rage. In the winter during the season, you head through murderers row by south bend with often hell-bent and dangerous/life-threatening lake effect snow slowing you down even more- or even completely off your path- which could ruin you for life. The routes are quite worn-down with potholes and most of the athletes heading that direction who already have will tell you- "been there done that...." Any parents/loved-ones/friends would surely thank effusively any intelligent and thoughtful player considering that route/direction in life for choosing instead someplace/destination-home quite quaint and success-inducing place like Northwestern.

Reactions: LansingCat
I don't know that it's between MSU and NU. But if it is, his choice is to be an insurance policy at MSU or a center piece at NU.

As has been reported on the MSU blogs, the '18 recruiting is set, Izzo has who he wants. He has the luxury of one last spot and THT is one of several who have been offered.

I don't know that it's between MSU and NU. But if it is, his choice is to be an insurance policy at MSU or a center piece at NU.

As has been reported on the MSU blogs, the '18 recruiting is set, Izzo has who he wants. He has the luxury of one last spot and THT is one of several who have been offered.

This is apparently the spot to be vacated by Miles Bridges bc there are not open spots per verbal commits.

This is apparently the spot to be vacated by Miles Bridges bc there are not open spots per verbal commits.

Right! Forgot about this. Then, all it takes is an injury to Bridges, he has to come back next season to prove he's healthy, and your spot is gone. What a great deal, thanks Coach Izzo! The recognition must be nice for THT, though. MSU is still a "blue blood", right? Nice to get the offer for the ego and social media props.

Correct. And good luck getting on the court to anyone who accepts an MSU '18 offer from this point forward. You're like the weather-coating at the car dealership.

Driving straight through to ELansing takes about five hours and could cost you brain damage/your future. There is lots of stressful traffic with many opportunities to experience road-rage. In the winter during the season, you head through murderers row by south bend with often hell-bent and dangerous/life-threatening lake effect snow slowing you down even more- or even completely off your path- which could ruin you for life. The routes are quite worn-down with potholes and most of the athletes heading that direction who already have will tell you- "been there done that...." Any parents/loved-ones/friends would surely thank effusively any intelligent and thoughtful player considering that route/direction in life for choosing instead someplace/destination-home quite quaint and success-inducing place like Northwestern.
You are right about the soul crushing experience of driving I-94 from Michigan to Chicago, especially in he winter. I have season tickets and the first game I made it to last season ( driving from Bay City, MI) was the Michigan game. I almost cancelled out due to bad weather, but fortunately decided to tough it out. Amazingly enough I was picked out of the crowd for the seat upgrade to courtside. To think I almost missed the opportunity to witness "The Play" from courtside.

Driving straight through to ELansing takes about five hours and could cost you brain damage/your future. There is lots of stressful traffic with many opportunities to experience road-rage. In the winter during the season, you head through murderers row by south bend with often hell-bent and dangerous/life-threatening lake effect snow slowing you down even more- or even completely off your path- which could ruin you for life.
I'll agree with you on the lake-effect snow, but if you're driving by South Bend on the way from Rogers Park to East Lansing, then you might want to get your GPS re-calibrated.

Reactions: DkeCat
You are right about the soul crushing experience of driving I-94 from Michigan to Chicago, especially in he winter. I have season tickets and the first game I made it to last season ( driving from Bay City, MI) was the Michigan game. I almost cancelled out due to bad weather, but fortunately decided to tough it out. Amazingly enough I was picked out of the crowd for the seat upgrade to courtside. To think I almost missed the opportunity to witness "The Play" from courtside.

Man, that story is almost too good to be true. We'll be talking about 2016-17 forever.

I'll agree with you on the lake-effect snow, but if you're driving by South Bend on the way from Rogers Park to East Lansing, then you might want to get your GPS re-calibrated.

Yep--you've paid retail for that drive. Another way to go that adds a few minutes is up 196 along the lake. We've never done it but 94 is mostly hell.

Yep--you've paid retail for that drive. Another way to go that adds a few minutes is up 196 along the lake. We've never done it but 94 is mostly hell.

196 can have huge lake effect from Dec - March...you literally cannot see the road.

But if you take it, add 20 minutes to your trip and get off at Crain's around mile market 32 and buy a bag of apple cider donuts.

Possibly the best reason to send your kid to MSU is that you'll be driving by Crain's for a few years.

One is never sure about available slots a year ahead of time, but MSU does have 4 solid commits for 2018, including a higher rated small forward. One of MSU's incoming frosh is a likely 1 and done also, so there is a good chance that the offer would stick. But I see NU being a much better choice in terms of opportunity, and close enough in terms of coaching and player development. It would be nice to have an NBA alumni network, but you can't have everything.

Let us not forget that Mark Smith, who grew up a big MSU fan, was also "blessed" of something along those lines to get an offer from MSU. He went up there for an official visit. Chose the closer school in Champaign. Yes, it was not NU in the end, but MSU is not an instant loss just because they offer. Even schools like Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas do t automatically land kids once they offer. We have to be up for the competition.

For the Cats to remain on the desired trajectory, we need to face off against the best, both on the court and in recruiting battles. Can't shy away from the heat. As Ecat put it, we can't fall into Northwestern Syndrome, this almost victim mentality where we don't expect to be capable of competing with the best. I'm sure the coaches don't see it that way, nor do I believe the players feel that way. We, the fans, need to come around as well. Expect Victory! We believed once, need to do so again.
Mark Smith grew up an Illinois fan

Reactions: all4theillini
196 can have huge lake effect from Dec - March...you literally cannot see the road.

But if you take it, add 20 minutes to your trip and get off at Crain's around mile market 32 and buy a bag of apple cider donuts.

Possibly the best reason to send your kid to MSU is that you'll be driving by Crain's for a few years.
Shush

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT