ADVERTISEMENT

How did McIntosh shoot last year?

This year he seems to be off..just curious
Not well. There was concern early in the year about his shooting. He improved as he got into a groove in Big 10 play. For the year his FG % was only 40.4% overall, and just 30.7% from 3. He's actually worse this season, hitting just 39% overall although his 3 has improved to 34%.

I thought BMac's shooting deteriorated after attending Seth Curry's summer clinic. He seems to have emphasized a quick release and accuracy has declined

I thought BMac's shooting deteriorated after attending Seth Curry's summer clinic. He seems to have emphasized a quick release and accuracy has declined

Could have had a slight effect, but the shot mechanics look really good. But I'd point out that through his sophomore year Tre Demps was on the team and took all of the late clock shots. That responsibility has shifted to BMac.

Here are his numbers

Shooting 3 Pt Shooting
Yr 1 .421 .364
Yr 2 .423 .366
Yr 3 .404 .307
Yr 4 .390 .343

Could have had a slight effect, but the shot mechanics look really good. But I'd point out that through his sophomore year Tre Demps was on the team and took all of the late clock shots. That responsibility has shifted to BMac.

Here are his numbers

Shooting 3 Pt Shooting
Yr 1 .421 .364
Yr 2 .423 .366
Yr 3 .404 .307
Yr 4 .390 .343

Just a fan of basketball and not an expert in shooting mechanics, but I’d argue Mac’s shooting mechanics “look really good”. It’s just not a prototypical shooting motion.

Just a fan of basketball and not an expert in shooting mechanics, but I’d argue Mac’s shooting mechanics “look really good”. It’s just not a prototypical shooting motion.
Mac is a great player. He just needs more support. He plays better with Brown or Ash helping him out. Can't leave Mac out there alone. Ain't working

If by prototypical you mean that it's not the original form of the shot, I'd agree. Two-hand set shots were the norm, then evolved to one-hand jump shots that were broken into two parts: bring the ball up over the head, set and then shoot. Today distance shooting has evolved to much more streamlined motion which B Mac exhibits. Falzon also shoots in a more streamlined manner, as does Lindsey. It can be mistaken for a "push" shot but it's really not. Vic is a bit more traditional in that he brings the ball up, and then releases at the apex of his jump.

What's similar across all is what their upper arm, fore arm and wrist do in the last half of the shot. And the point of the release. And their footwork getting into the shot. It's a more efficient shot than what was traditional twenty, thirty years ago.

To me, Mc always looks like he has a bit of a forward lean versus a straight vertical takeoff on his jump.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT