ADVERTISEMENT

Two Years of Extremes

AdamOnFirst

Nov 29, 2021
It's really wild to me the extent to which this team has done a total 180 in style since last year. Obviously this isn't new, but tonight, and some of the shooting performances lately, really reemphasize it. It's mostly the same team, but going from a team that's 100% about grinding defense but struggles to score and REALLY struggles badly to shoot into a similarly good team that instead just goes out and tries to shoot your lights out from outside every night is... it's wild.

47 first half points, and that was with Berry going out with an injury. They play defense with focus and intensity, but the knockout blow comes on offense.

Reactions: Cataria and zbag51
It's really wild to me the extent to which this team has done a total 180 in style since last year. Obviously this isn't new, but tonight, and some of the shooting performances lately, really reemphasize it. It's mostly the same team, but going from a team that's 100% about grinding defense but struggles to score and REALLY struggles badly to shoot into a similarly good team that instead just goes out and tries to shoot your lights out from outside every night is... it's wild.

So which Coach gets credit to for this transformation. Surely not Lowery. Battle? McIntosh? James?

Amazing what adding a lethal sharpshooter in Langborg and Berry becoming more consistent will open up for the offense. Martinellis further development adds a nice punch off the bench. Barnhizer keeping his form from late last season and further developing on it, is notable as well. All this despite losing the 2nd leading scorer, borderline nba talent, and human microwave in Audige.

Another huge difference is that two years ago we believed we were an NBA roster and would rotate more than a merry go round. One of the many mistakes in the management of that team. Today we very much hard core stick to our strongest horses.

Reactions: NUCat320
Another huge difference is that two years ago we believed we were an NBA roster and would rotate more than a merry go round. One of the many mistakes in the management of that team. Today we very much hard core stick to our strongest horses.
Did you think Nance and Young could play 35+ minutes in a game without degrading performance? We’re only playing the guards / wings these high amount of minutes, and it is out of necessity more than choice. I would never play guys 90% or more of the minutes if I had a choice.

And Boo Buie wasn’t one of the best players in college basketball. And sophomore Berry wasn’t nearly as good as senior Berry. And Audige shot 25 percent from 3 and 33 percent from the field and played hurt much of the year. Many of our strongest horses weren’t very strong that season.

And we still could have gotten 10 conference wins if we hit our free throws in the last couple of minutes. That was also a very strong year for the conference.

Did you think Nance and Young could play 35+ minutes in a game without degrading performance? We’re only playing the guards / wings these high amount of minutes, and it is out of necessity more than choice. I would never play guys 90% or more of the minutes if I had a choice.
Let's say you are correct, for the sake of argument as I have little interest in rehashing this, the point is also that the pattern was completely different, it was automatic, four in, four out at first media timeout. I can see Mullins playing 12 minutes in that team, Simmons played that. It was a different, very different approach.

Let's say you are correct, for the sake of argument as I have little interest in rehashing this, the point is also that the pattern was completely different, it was automatic, four in, four out at first media timeout. I can see Mullins playing 12 minutes in that team, Simmons played that. It was a different, very different approach.
Also not rehashing, but seeing Nance go to the bench before the under-16 was just infuriating.

Kopp never played more than 32mpg at NU, and Nance never more than 28.

Berry’s change from a (wait for it) BAD three point shooter to a (wait for it) GREAT three point shooter is the biggest change in the offense. (29% to 44%)

Boo’s change from an OKAY three-point shooter to a VERY GOOD three point shooter matters a bunch. His first half pull-ups last night were just glorious. And you’re surprised when they miss.

And Brooks’ evolution from option 3 to “actually I’m option 1A” has been huge. He shoots better, but he’s *also* more than doubled his 2PA, from 3.9 to 8.3. All of that space from the three guards gives Brooks the ability to play an old-school, unique, truly three-level game.

Last year was “Chase has gotta get the midrange going.” This year the midrange is a given from Brooks.

Ultimately, tho, I think they shot a bunch this off-season.

If nothing else, it's clear that Collins has learned from the mistakes he's made as a younger coach, between playing style, recruiting, the level of coaching needed depending on the experience his team has.

And we still could have gotten 10 conference wins if we hit our free throws in the last couple of minutes. That was also a very strong year for the conference.
Man, the what if approach is not an argument, it's just longing for what did not happen.

I think this year's team is the best team NU ever had. If we scored 2 more points last week we would be first in the league. If we had a solid 2-3 minutes at the end, @WI and @UNL we would have 1 loss. But, ultimately, we did not. And if, by the end of the season, we are 11-9, I will just have to accept this was not the best NU team.

Man, the what if approach is not an argument, it's just longing for what did not happen.

I think this year's team is the best team NU ever had. If we scored 2 more points last week we would be first in the league. If we had a solid 2-3 minutes at the end, @WI and @UNL we would have 1 loss. But, ultimately, we did not. And if, by the end of the season, we are 11-9, I will just have to accept this was not the best NU team.
I cannot recall a team that had as many offensive threats as this one. And it is all orchestrated by the best all-around guard in the historic history of NU basketball. It would be ridiculous if this team had Shurna and Eschmeyer on it too. Probably a Final Four talent.

I cannot recall a team that had as many offensive threats as this one. And it is all orchestrated by the best all-around guard in the historic history of NU basketball. It would be ridiculous if this team had Shurna and Eschmeyer on it too. Probably a Final Four talent.
I just think about how it felt so normal to go toe to toe with Purdue. Not for one, but for two games. Last year it felt more like we were supposed to lose and Audige pulled a magic trick out of his bum.

At the rate Buie has been going the past 5 games, he will pass Shurna for all-time leading scorer when we play at IU. He's 60 points behind him after last night. Selfishly I'm hoping he holds off until the next game at home against Michigan, as long as we win all the games.

Much more quality depth back then is the likely difference in my view; not some inferior coaching by CCC.

Much more quality depth back then is the likely difference in my view; not some inferior coaching by CCC.
(Not to rehash, but “quality depth like the guy averaging 14mpg off the bench in the Ivy League.”)

It’s okay that CCC is a better coach now. It’s good, in fact!

He rode Boo hard for two games, and we feared…is Boo exhausted…? But, shoot, Boo was *not* exhausted after a few days rest!

(Not to rehash, but “quality depth like the guy averaging 14mpg off the bench in the Ivy League.”)

He rode Boo hard for two games, and we feared…is Boo exhausted…? But, shoot, Boo was *not* exhausted after a few days rest!
I’m sure CCC is better; as always, I just challenge when some intimate he was not good before.

It's not as black and white as you are making it out.

Berry and Roper were pretty close in talent and production that year. Some folks on this board thought we were better with Greer playing point that year and Buie as the off-guard. And Audige was an awful offensive player that year so it was hard to keep him on the floor for 35 plus minutes.

It's a lot easier to play your starters almost the whole game when they are levels above the guys on the bench. I am glad, though, that Collins is substituting more based on the flow of the game than a predetermined rotation.

Logic points to Lowery being the primary reason our defense improved last season.

I think logic also dictates that Talor Battle had a fairly positive role in Buie's development. Maybe a little McIntosh. The fact that those two guys can scrimmage against the players probably helped all of the guards, especially on offense.

As for the offense in general, several people have made good points above. More than approach, its personnel changes. The main thing of course is the graduation of Audige. That was sort of a known thing - there was widespread anticipation that "Langborg in for Audige" would improve the offense and weaken the defense. That is self-evident.

I would add that with Audige's departure, the guy who thought he was #1A to Buie's #1, the roles of the other guys are more clearly defined and aligned. This year Barnhizer, Berry, Martinelli and Langborg are all better scorers than Audige and Beran were last year, but everybody defers to Buie. Last year, Barnhizer and Martinelli were held back by Beran to some degree. Berry no longer has to play in Audige;s shadow (or compete with Roper for playing time).

So you lose Beran, Roper and Audige. The offense improves. A lot.
I do have to admit I was wrong about Roper. But, I suppose, so was the coach.

I will credit Collins and staff for adding a number of modifications to the "ball screen for Buie" offense we played last year. We've gotten more open looks this year ,no doubt about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT