ADVERTISEMENT

How to solve the recruiting/poaching/changing of mind problem in my opinion

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Ban the use of the term "verbal commitment" because it is no commitment at all. It misleads everybody.

Only use the term "most strong unbinding preference as of today" and then this "problem" goes away.

Only allow "signature on the bottom line" actions to be called "commitments".

Seems simple to me.

GO CATS!

smile.r191677.gif

Right on, Euro. "Today's preference."

I heard an interview with Mark Richt where he said, "once you get that verbal commitment, that's when the recruiting begins, because now there's somebody to recruit against."

Kids commit early because maybe, just maybe, it means that people will ask them just a little bit less frequently.

Great suggestion! That really is a wise idea.

College football recruiting cheapens the word "commitment," transmuting that term into nothing more than a synonym for fleeting preferences.

Contemporaneous to this adjustment, let's just move up signing date to early December to ensure programs have warm bodies in every seat once the music stops.

I am not saying I LIKE it but it's just a way to mentally approach the issue and keep your cool.

Another term that can be used is "reservation". As In John Smith has "reserved" a scholarship at Northwestern.

Think of it as a restaurant reservation that can be cancelled 24 hours before you are due to arrive at no cost to you (though it sucks for the school because they may have turned down a different reservation).

GO CATS!

You're on a roll here.

It helps to put things in perspective and reflects reality. Canceling one's reservation is an action relatable to everyone: everyone has canceled a reservation for good, bad, or no reason at all. Maybe a table became available at that four-star restaurant down the street. And a restaurant can pull a reservation when VIP shows up. "Reservation" reinforces the discretionary nature of the transaction between a recruit and football programs prior to signing day.

Originally posted by Eurocat:

Another term that can be used is "reservation". As In John Smith has "reserved" a scholarship at Northwestern.

Think of it as a restaurant reservation that can be cancelled 24 hours before you are due to arrive at no cost to you (though it sucks for the school because they may have turned down a different reservation).
LOL. That's actually a really good analogy!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT