ADVERTISEMENT

I changed my mind - pay the players

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
Given the financial value of broadcast rights to schools, I think scholarship players should be awarded additional compensation for their efforts, including:
1) lifetime healthcare for scholarship players who complete their degree while playing in the program
2) a small stipend ($10k?) to help pay for summer living costs, with my assumption that players often train year round, and are limited by time to earn additional income during the school year.

I am sure others here have additional ideas.

Given the financial value of broadcast rights to schools, I think scholarship players should be awarded additional compensation for their efforts, including:
1) lifetime healthcare for scholarship players who complete their degree while playing in the program
2) a small stipend ($10k?) to help pay for summer living costs, with my assumption that players often train year round, and are limited by time to earn additional income during the school year.

Better do this quickly. The rate ESPN is losing subscribers, there won't be much TV revenue for schools in a few years.

Just look at the Kain Colter led proposals and most additional ideas are not needed.

Reactions: julescat

Most schools beyond the P5 would drop D1 athletics because they honestly couldn't afford that.

This would have huge unintended consequences that would destroy the sport IMO, especially at non-factory schools not willing to pay anything to win. The costs would get to the point where the financial drivers behind college football today would disappear, or significantly diminish, and with it the sport itself.

This is a weak analogy, I know. But each year EA Sports released the latest version of the best sports video game on the market, NCAA Football. No idea what the game made profit wise. But the complaints began that players weren't getting their fair cut for their likenesses being used. Of course they couldn't, based on amateur sports rules, etc. But the end result of these complaints wasn't a more equitable financial arrrangement. The game just went away. Nobody won. It was like two siblings fighting over a toy, so the parents just take it away and nobody gets it just to avoid the fight that can't be won. The players didn't win. The fans of the game didn't win. The people who's employment was based on making the game didn't win.

Same thing would happen if they found a way to 'pay the players'. Schools would just 'tap out', and there would be fewer scholarship opportunities for kids who's only way to go to college is a football schollie. Coaches, trainers, etc., who's employment is based on teams who tap out lose out as well.

This would have huge unintended consequences that would destroy the sport IMO, especially at non-factory schools not willing to pay anything to win. The costs would get to the point where the financial drivers behind college football today would disappear, or significantly diminish, and with it the sport itself.

This is a weak analogy, I know. But each year EA Sports released the latest version of the best sports video game on the market, NCAA Football. No idea what the game made profit wise. But the complaints began that players weren't getting their fair cut for their likenesses being used. Of course they couldn't, based on amateur sports rules, etc. But the end result of these complaints wasn't a more equitable financial arrrangement. The game just went away. Nobody won. It was like two siblings fighting over a toy, so the parents just take it away and nobody gets it just to avoid the fight that can't be won. The players didn't win. The fans of the game didn't win. The people who's employment was based on making the game didn't win.

Same thing would happen if they found a way to 'pay the players'. Schools would just 'tap out', and there would be fewer scholarship opportunities for kids who's only way to go to college is a football schollie. Coaches, trainers, etc., who's employment is based on teams who tap out lose out as well.

to destroy the sport will likely be the best outcome. maybe the inevitable outcome. they got way too greedy,

Reactions: NUCat320
Remember when the olympics were for amateur athletes only? Hasn't hurt the olympics from a viewing standpoint to let athletes accept outside endorsements...the NCAA should follow and let players accept money to be in commercials or sell their autographs. Schools don't have to pay extra money and only the most deserving players would generate large sums of money.

nycat, then what you have is endorsement deals tied to recruiting. Think Maryland wouldn't improve DRAMATICALLY overnight if a Terrapin commitment came with a Under Armour endorsement deal? Also, it becomes an immediate way to pay players under the table. Joe's Car Dealership is now giving a free car lease to every OSU starter and calling it an 'endorsement deal' for the dealership.

Olympic athletes aren't choosing what country to play for based on where the best endorsement deals can be found.

I think the a related and bigger question is the sustainability of football. Parents are more reluctant to allow their kids to play football at a young age, even up thru high school. Soccer is becoming the sport of choice as a starter sport. Public schools are finding it more difficult to afford or find insurance to cover football at the high school level. Those insurance costs will only rise over time- maybe there won't be an insurance pool big enough to cover the risk unless underwritten by the state. (Maybe an insurance expert on the board can comment about this.) I think the combo of parents not permitting their kids to play the sport and secondary schools dropping the sport is going to be a significant drag on the pool of participants. The NFL is also facing lower ratings this year though it may be too early to tell if that is a downward trend in viewership.

I don't think continued research about CTE will yield positive news for the sport either. A guess is that the longer you play and the younger you start to play the more susceptible a player is to getting the disease. We are already seeing evidence of young players being diagnosed. All of these are red flags for the future of the sport.

I like the idea of lifetime insurance for college players though I don't know if it can be restricted (or should be restricted) to only football players. But at least it would be a start. I also agree to some kind of additional stipend beyond scholarships but also wonder if that would be financially sustainable.

I would agree in principle on lifetime medical coverage on injuries or related conditions incurred during college playing days. A bad back that yields problems throughout life should be covered somehow. But not blanket medical. The school who holds a player to diet and exercise standards for five years, that keeps him in the best shape of his life (outside of a structural injury), shouldn't be paying for the obesity related ailments that player develops once his playing days are over.

The attached list includes the Top Big Ten rushers in history. Read that list of the Top 20...and ask yourself how many of these gentlemen made significant money playing professionally? Y'all know I love tracking stats and tracking the success of players who put on the purple and give every ounce of effort for my enjoyment. I just happen to believe that Justin Jackson will have been woefully underpaid for his 4-years work for the school I love when he departs next season. He has already carried the ball 855 times for us. I just fear there are only so many hits a body can take. Likewise, I don't know how well his skill set translates to the NFL. I just know that, I arrived at NU as a relatively poor kid who only could attend NU because of a lot of financial aid. I try to give back as generously as I can today because of that. But, I sure didn't give...and will never give as much to the school as Justin Jackson has. I don't know what the answer is. Go 'Cats!

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-ten/leaders/rush-yds-player-career.html

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT