ADVERTISEMENT

I gotta admit...

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
I got a little emotional tonight. After Pardon hit the shot and the fans poured into the court, I just stood there on press row and watched the celebration. I felt my eyes get a little wet. Tears didn't form, but if I was talking my voice probably would have cracked. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. I felt the same thing at the Gator Bowl in 2013.

I've told my kids this many times: It's tough to be a Northwestern fan. There aren't a lot of us, we don't get a lot of attention and there are certainly more "downs" than "ups." I've seen more losses in more ways over the years than any fan should. Most people on the board, if they are old enough, have had their hearts broken countless times over.

But when a night like tonight happens, it makes it all worthwhile. Our lows may be low, but our highs are higher than anyone's. Think about it. If you're a Michigan State fan or Wisconsin fan or Duke fan or North Carolina fan, this would be no big deal. It's just another win. They win all the time and go to the Dance every year. But for Purple Nation, it's difficult to describe how much a night like tonight means. There's nothing like it. And the fact that our teams do it the right way, with great kids, makes it that much more rewarding.

With the Rose Bowl year in 1995 and then this year for basketball, I feel like I have been to the mountaintop. I've reached the Promised Land in both sports. It just doesn't get any better.

You can take your Notre Dames and Alabamas and Kentuckys. I'll take being a Northwestern fan every day of the week -- and, as Fitz would say, twice on Sunday.

Go Cats!

You know I'm right there with you, my friend. Nothing compares to feeling.

Hear, hear, Lou! I got emotional as well. So many years watching terrible teams in person and then many more from a distance on television. I can't believe how badly the Indiana loss hurt. I could see the whole thing slipping away. And that would be the final blow: it seemed so assured, only to be undone with an epic collapse.

It wouldn't have surprised me if the 'Cats had won tonight. They're a good team, and Michigan isn't great. But the way they won was so totally unexpected and wonderful. I'm also a Kansas City Royals fan, and I feel so much like I did after the Wild Card Game in 2014 vs. Oakland. So I guess that means the 'Cats will rim out a winning shot and lose the national title game. If only!

Reactions: WildcatfanChris17
Louie. I said at our graduation. I asked gd to get us to the rose howl and to the NCAA tourney before I died. Maybe I didn't ask for enough. I thought at the time it might take longer than 29 years.

As for the tears, I already know my emotions sometime Sunday afternoon March 12, 2017. The same as they were on that cold November day in 1995 when Michigan beat Ohio state.

A few of those salty wet ones will definitely show up.

Reactions: ricko654321
This is a great feeling. Unlike most of you I am not an alum. I am just a Chicago kid that went to a local community college that somehow ended up a Cats fan. I have cheered on the cats for about 40 years since I was in high school. With the exception of 1995 this is about as happy as I have ever felt. I have gone to the first round of the tournament with a group of friends for the past 25 years. I have been razzed year after year about when are my cats going to get in. Well I can finally say this is the year. No other teams fans can understand this feeling we now share, you would need to be a cats fan. Congrats to all of you that have hung with this team for all of these years.

I got a little emotional tonight. After Pardon hit the shot and the fans poured into the court, I just stood there on press row and watched the celebration. I felt my eyes get a little wet. Tears didn't form, but if I was talking my voice probably would have cracked. The hairs on the back of my neck were standing up. I felt the same thing at the Gator Bowl in 2013.

I've told my son this many times: It's tough to be a Northwestern fan. There aren't a lot of us, we don't get a lot of attention and there are certainly more "downs" than "ups." I've seen more losses in more ways over the years than any fan should. Most people on the board, if they are old enough, have had their hearts broken countless times over.

But when a night like tonight happens, it makes it all worthwhile. Our lows may be low, but our highs are higher than anyone's. Think about it. If you're a Michigan State fan or Wisconsin fan or Duke fan or North Carolina fan, this would be no big deal. It's just another win. They win all the time and go to the Dance every year. But for Purple Nation, it's difficult to describe how much a night like tonight means. There's nothing like it. And the fact that our teams do it the right way, with great kids, makes it that much more rewarding.

With the Rose Bowl year in 1995 and then this year for basketball, I feel like I have been to the mountaintop. I've reached the Promised Land in both sports. It just doesn't get any better.

You can take your Notre Dames and Alabamas and Kentuckys. I'll take being a Northwestern fan every day of the week -- and, as Fitz would say, twice on Sunday.

Go Cats!

That reminds - you did assure us at the beginning of the game thread that with your son at your side The Cats were assured of a win. Thanks for bringing him!!!!!

Words now made famous:

"It might give you some confidence to know that my son is in the house tonight. NU is 5-0 when he is in the building this season."

This is a great feeling. Unlike most of you I am not an alum. I am just a Chicago kid that went to a local community college that somehow ended up a Cats fan. I have cheered on the cats for about 40 years since I was in high school. With the exception of 1995 this is about as happy as I have ever felt. I have gone to the first round of the tournament with a group of friends for the past 25 years. I have been razzed year after year about when are my cats going to get in. Well I can finally say this is the year. No other teams fans can understand this feeling we now share, you would need to be a cats fan. Congrats to all of you that have hung with this team for all of these years.
Right with ya, Catnap - my story nearly mirrors yours. Wish there were more like us, but our numbers may be growing. :cool:

A few years back I was at a party, and my friend was razzing me, and asked people to raise their hands if their alma mater had been to the Tourney. And every other person did, including my daughter (Valpo) and my future son in law (Yale).

As you can imagine, it was a trifle embarrassing .

I was ready to give up on this team so many times, because of painful history. Always cringing from the expected blow

Not this time

When Chris Collins got choked up in the press conference talking about just wanting to find his family - whoah.

The energy and effort it took to change the culture and coach the team to a winning record in the B1G is no small feat.

I've told my son this many times: It's tough to be a Northwestern fan. There aren't a lot of us, we don't get a lot of attention and there are certainly more "downs" than "ups." I've seen more losses in more ways over the years than any fan should. Most people on the board, if they are old enough, have had their hearts broken countless times over.

Go Cats!
+1

Well done, Brother Lou. I was there last night with my 14-year-old son, who has been living and (mostly) dying with me at Welsh-Ryan since he was 5 years old, and my 10-year-old daughter, who joined me at an NU game for the first time at the Kohl Center a few weeks ago and is now fully on board the bandwagon, wearing her brother's old #44 jersey (formerly a Coble jersey, now a Skelly jersey). What an incredible, indelible moment for those two kids and their very blessed and lucky dad.

Right with ya, Catnap - my story nearly mirrors yours. Wish there were more like us, but our numbers may be growing. :cool:

I am on the same angle with you. 6 non-alum fans in the stands who had heated exchanges with Michigan fans last night. Last night made up for attending those games like beating Wheaton College by 2, getting drilled by Wiscy, hearing that damn Illinois chant and futile attempts to get folks to go to games.

Your post Lou is/was a magnificent summary of what I suspect is/was the feelings of many.

Go Cats!

Beautifully said. That said, I'm ready for some championship rings. Let's go get them, starting with the BTT. Beating the regular season champs this Sunday will be a great warm-up.

Go Cats!

Thanks for sharing this with all of us Lou. You have again captured the essence of what it means to be a Cat fan. Back in the 70s and 80s I felt like a nation of one. Then I found others after the Barnett Miracle in the 90s. Throughout the whole 40 years of fandom, I have met the best people through NU athletics. The fans, players, coaches, administrators and their families have in many cases become friends. And you know what? To a person, our passion for the Cats runs deep because we so admire both the players as people and the people you meet through NU athletics.

My first reaction was happiness for the coaches, players and their families. What a tremendous challenge they accepted in choosing NU. They have made good on their vision, hard work and self confidence. They have survived the valleys of despair and gotten better along the way. And last night, they had one last counter punch left in them...against Michigan... where it is all so easy. Seems fitting that we stamped our ticket by thinking big and going for the win under the most improbable of circumstances and against a foe that is an athletics icon.

Thanks again Lou.

GOUNUII

I appreciate all the non-alums. We are all Wildcat fans, which is what matters here.

And I echo what Lou said in the original post here, nothing beats the highs of being a Cat fan after all the lows. This season is very representative of what a typical Cat fan goes through.

For the basketball team, this season will mark the end of an era (pre-tournament) and the start of a new one (post-tournament).

All the guys on this team will go down in Northwestern history as the group that FINALLY DID IT!!! Congrats to all.

That reminds - you did assure us at the beginning of the game thread that with your son at your side The Cats were assured of a win. Thanks for bringing him!!!!!

Words now made famous:

"It might give you some confidence to know that my son is in the house tonight. NU is 5-0 when he is in the building this season."
If NU doesn't give Lou and his son free travel and tickets to the NCAA tourney games they are committing malfeasance.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
What is most important to me is that this is an athletic program that tries to do things the right way and mostly succeeds. It makes the wins all the sweeter, as Lou says. With the apparent certainty that NU will be in the tourney, the Rose Bowl game of 1995, the Cubs' World Series championship and the Hawks' return to Stanley Cup glory the past few years, I can die a happy man (although I should add I'm in no hurry to do so). If I can get my boys at Shippensburg into the Division II BB tourney this year, it will be the best BB season I've enjoyed in quite some time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT