ADVERTISEMENT

I hope the players read this

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I post this every year we get ready to play dOSU in the remote hope that perhaps it might make a difference. I'm not sure any of the kids on the team today were around when we last played dOSU and when I last posted this, and I guess most follow Fitz's policy that they avoid these boards.

But, by the remote chance that there are a few lurkers, this is for them. And this is for you, the NU nation. As we remember every Sunday, the sacrifice of Christ and His preparation during the Last Supper, this story should also be recited regularly so that we can remember.

I hope that the kids from Ohio are standing on soapboxes this week giving speeches and telling their teammates how important this game is. I hope that the scout team is getting their asses kicked to hell. I hope that Jerry Brown - who was present in 1971 as a player, can testify to his underlings what this is all about. I hope we are approaching the game just as we did in 1971, the last time we went into Columbus and beat dOSU.

The following column, describing Northwestern's last win against the Ohio State Buckeyes, was written by The Daily Northwestern staff writer Brian Hamilton and appeared in the October 23, 1998 Gameday edition prior to the '98 OSU game. Let us remember.

Recalling a '71 shocker

THE LEGENDARY WOODY HAYES ROAMED THE BUCKEYES SIDELINE DURING NU'S LAST WIN VS. OSU, AND IT WASN'T BY COINCIDENCE

--by Brian Hamilton: Gameday Staff

Woody Hayes swallowed losses like teaspoons of castor oil. He coached 28 years at Ohio State, about 27 longer than those who dealt with him would've preferred, amassing 205 victories and spewing at least that many expletives at the officials each game. Once, as an opposing player dashed unimpeded toward the end zone, Hayes leapt out from the sideline and tackled him. Ohio State faithful wondered why the player got in coach Hayes' way.

Greg Strunk didn't see who was on his tail, at least not until he got the film. On a November day that would make Robert Frost swoon, Northwestern had just surrendered a touchdown to vaunted Ohio State and Strunk, a Wildcat cornerback, received the ensuing kickoff.

Ever hear 80,000 hosannas suddenly cease? If you're curious, look Greg Strunk up. He's listed in Phoenix, and he's got the original America's Funniest Home Video stashed away. Down a touchdown and a ton of confidence, Strunk cradled the kick and started to his right. He hugged the sideline all the way, for 93 yards, and the only guy close to him was a graying, irascible ball of Buckeye fury named Woody, chugging ever so hard, but failing to record his first career tackle this day.

"I've got the film of it," Strunk says. "Woody Hayes was running down the sidelines after me, throwing his hat. It did get a lot quieter after that."

If there were two things that wouldn't happen under Woody Hayes' watch in Columbus, both of them were losing to NU at home. Hayes might have had his players put their hand on the playbook and swear as much. But for one Saturday in 1971, NU got Woody, a 14-10 win special only because it hasn't happened again since. Which makes keepsakes like Jerry Brown's something of a collector's item. Sitting unobtrusively in his home, still there to this day, is the game ball each and every Ohio-native NU player received after the shocker. Brown is now [1998] NU's co-defensive coordinator, but what he'd get most defensive about in 1971 was the smack his high school buddies laid on thick and heavy during summers back home.

Three of Brown's teammates from Roosevelt High in Kent, Ohio, went to Ohio State. Brown received a polite "Thanks but no thanks" from Hayes and the parting gift of a scholarship to NU. For two years, the Buckeyes got the better of the 'Cats. Brown got the worst of the trash talk.

"Each summer we'd get together and talk, and they had two on me, so I owed them one," Brown says. "They always throw it at me now that they beat me two out of three, but I always say, 'Isn't it the last one that counts?" [ed. note: Notre Dame fans, in particular, should pay attention to that last quote...]

From practices that week in '71, you'd think this was the only one that counted. Countries mobilize for war with less intensity than NU displayed before the Ohio State game. NU was 5-4 heading in, but it might as well have been 5-400, as long as it was Woody Hayes and Ohio State. With 24 players from the Buckeye State on the roster, the term "light practice" meant one in which only smaller bones were broken.

Larry Lilja probably hates Ohio State more than anyone, if only because the assorted nicks from that week haven't healed yet. Lilja, now NU's strength and conditioning coach, was a freshman tight end in 1971. Since freshmen were ineligible to play then by NCAA mandate, Lilja had the envious task of mimicking Ohio State's offense on the scout team. He may have gotten his current job on the merits that he survived the week with four limbs intact.

"I just remember getting the shit beat out of me that week," Lilja says. "Players were just so intense. I remember thinking, 'Geez, I hope they play like this during the game."

Says Strunk: "Kids from Ohio were in the locker room, standing up and giving speeches. The coaches realized the magnitude of the game. They were really grinding on us. They worked real hard, and they made us work real hard."

What Strunk started, fullback Randy Anderson finished with a one-yard dive in the fourth quarter, erasing a 10-7 deficit. While the world's largest funeral procession ensued outside-- the Buckeye's slim Rose Bowl hopes were dashed by the loss-- a virtual Mardi Gras flooded the visitors' locker room at Ohio Stadium, which was sort of like holding a Fourth of July bash at Buckingham Palace.

For all the scarlet and gray in the stands, the prevalent colors on the field were black and blue. "You could hear the hitting," Strunk says.

Although the game soundtrack featured more snaps, crackles and pops than a bowl of Rice Krispies, the visitors' lockers got the worst. Anything that made a loud noise when punched would suffice. Of course, after beating Ohio State on ground more sacred than Jerusalem, it was clearly necessary roughness.

"To be able to do that in front of their fans was a big thrill," says Barry Pearson, the leading receiver for that NU squad, who had three catches on the day. "The guys from Ohio were really going nuts, because they could go home and hold their heads up. I guess it just means so much to get that one, you could just lose all the others as long as you got that one."

I think all of the players should know that ECat absolutely refuses to die until NU beats the Bucknuts in Columbus.

Not that ECat is old and decrepit. Quite the contrary. He is sprightly and sharp-witted. But, rest assured, he will sustain his life well beyond his golden years, existing as a hollow-eyed demented old raisin IF that is what is required for him to live to see the day that NU again defeats the "the" at home.

So NU players, please give ECat and his family the eternal gift of everlasting peace: Beat OSU like Glades beats his rented mule.

Beat. The. Buckeyes.

Reactions: rmndcat
I think all of the players should know that ECat absolutely refuses to die until NU beats the Bucknuts in Columbus.

Not that ECat is old and decrepit. Quite the contrary. He is sprightly and sharp-witted. But, rest assured, he will sustain his life well beyond his golden years, existing as a hollow-eyed demented old raisin IF that is what is required for him to live to see the day that NU again defeats the "the" at home.

So NU players, please give ECat and his family the eternal gift of everlasting peace: Beat OSU like Glades beats his rented mule.

Beat. The. Buckeyes.

I wonder what EvanstonCat would say to the fact the the 1994 game was looking to be a win for the Cats until Lundy fumbled on purpose, inside the OSU 5 yd line, as part of the point shaving.

I wonder what EvanstonCat would say to the fact the the 1994 game was looking to be a win for the Cats until Lundy fumbled on purpose, inside the OSU 5 yd line, as part of the point shaving.

That was on a 2 point conversion to tie the game and it wasn't a fumble, just that the back went the wrong way on the play. At least get it right before calling things "facts"..

"I hope the players read this"

giphy.gif

Reactions: DopeTonic
That was on a 2 point conversion to tie the game and it wasn't a fumble, just that the back went the wrong way on the play. At least get it right before calling things "facts"..

My mistake. He fumbled the TD at the Iowa game.

Why are you always so negative? :eek:

Beat. The. Buckeyes.
Glades owns his mule outright.

I post this every year we get ready to play dOSU in the remote hope that perhaps it might make a difference. I'm not sure any of the kids on the team today were around when we last played dOSU and when I last posted this, and I guess most follow Fitz's policy that they avoid these boards.

But, by the remote chance that there are a few lurkers, this is for them. And this is for you, the NU nation. As we remember every Sunday, the sacrifice of Christ and His preparation during the Last Supper, this story should also be recited regularly so that we can remember.

I hope that the kids from Ohio are standing on soapboxes this week giving speeches and telling their teammates how important this game is. I hope that the scout team is getting their asses kicked to hell. I hope that Jerry Brown - who was present in 1971 as a player, can testify to his underlings what this is all about. I hope we are approaching the game just as we did in 1971, the last time we went into Columbus and beat dOSU.

The following column, describing Northwestern's last win against the Ohio State Buckeyes, was written by The Daily Northwestern staff writer Brian Hamilton and appeared in the October 23, 1998 Gameday edition prior to the '98 OSU game. Let us remember.

Recalling a '71 shocker

THE LEGENDARY WOODY HAYES ROAMED THE BUCKEYES SIDELINE DURING NU'S LAST WIN VS. OSU, AND IT WASN'T BY COINCIDENCE

--by Brian Hamilton: Gameday Staff

Woody Hayes swallowed losses like teaspoons of castor oil. He coached 28 years at Ohio State, about 27 longer than those who dealt with him would've preferred, amassing 205 victories and spewing at least that many expletives at the officials each game. Once, as an opposing player dashed unimpeded toward the end zone, Hayes leapt out from the sideline and tackled him. Ohio State faithful wondered why the player got in coach Hayes' way.

Greg Strunk didn't see who was on his tail, at least not until he got the film. On a November day that would make Robert Frost swoon, Northwestern had just surrendered a touchdown to vaunted Ohio State and Strunk, a Wildcat cornerback, received the ensuing kickoff.

Ever hear 80,000 hosannas suddenly cease? If you're curious, look Greg Strunk up. He's listed in Phoenix, and he's got the original America's Funniest Home Video stashed away. Down a touchdown and a ton of confidence, Strunk cradled the kick and started to his right. He hugged the sideline all the way, for 93 yards, and the only guy close to him was a graying, irascible ball of Buckeye fury named Woody, chugging ever so hard, but failing to record his first career tackle this day.

"I've got the film of it," Strunk says. "Woody Hayes was running down the sidelines after me, throwing his hat. It did get a lot quieter after that."

If there were two things that wouldn't happen under Woody Hayes' watch in Columbus, both of them were losing to NU at home. Hayes might have had his players put their hand on the playbook and swear as much. But for one Saturday in 1971, NU got Woody, a 14-10 win special only because it hasn't happened again since. Which makes keepsakes like Jerry Brown's something of a collector's item. Sitting unobtrusively in his home, still there to this day, is the game ball each and every Ohio-native NU player received after the shocker. Brown is now [1998] NU's co-defensive coordinator, but what he'd get most defensive about in 1971 was the smack his high school buddies laid on thick and heavy during summers back home.

Three of Brown's teammates from Roosevelt High in Kent, Ohio, went to Ohio State. Brown received a polite "Thanks but no thanks" from Hayes and the parting gift of a scholarship to NU. For two years, the Buckeyes got the better of the 'Cats. Brown got the worst of the trash talk.

"Each summer we'd get together and talk, and they had two on me, so I owed them one," Brown says. "They always throw it at me now that they beat me two out of three, but I always say, 'Isn't it the last one that counts?" [ed. note: Notre Dame fans, in particular, should pay attention to that last quote...]

From practices that week in '71, you'd think this was the only one that counted. Countries mobilize for war with less intensity than NU displayed before the Ohio State game. NU was 5-4 heading in, but it might as well have been 5-400, as long as it was Woody Hayes and Ohio State. With 24 players from the Buckeye State on the roster, the term "light practice" meant one in which only smaller bones were broken.

Larry Lilja probably hates Ohio State more than anyone, if only because the assorted nicks from that week haven't healed yet. Lilja, now NU's strength and conditioning coach, was a freshman tight end in 1971. Since freshmen were ineligible to play then by NCAA mandate, Lilja had the envious task of mimicking Ohio State's offense on the scout team. He may have gotten his current job on the merits that he survived the week with four limbs intact.

"I just remember getting the shit beat out of me that week," Lilja says. "Players were just so intense. I remember thinking, 'Geez, I hope they play like this during the game."

Says Strunk: "Kids from Ohio were in the locker room, standing up and giving speeches. The coaches realized the magnitude of the game. They were really grinding on us. They worked real hard, and they made us work real hard."

What Strunk started, fullback Randy Anderson finished with a one-yard dive in the fourth quarter, erasing a 10-7 deficit. While the world's largest funeral procession ensued outside-- the Buckeye's slim Rose Bowl hopes were dashed by the loss-- a virtual Mardi Gras flooded the visitors' locker room at Ohio Stadium, which was sort of like holding a Fourth of July bash at Buckingham Palace.

For all the scarlet and gray in the stands, the prevalent colors on the field were black and blue. "You could hear the hitting," Strunk says.

Although the game soundtrack featured more snaps, crackles and pops than a bowl of Rice Krispies, the visitors' lockers got the worst. Anything that made a loud noise when punched would suffice. Of course, after beating Ohio State on ground more sacred than Jerusalem, it was clearly necessary roughness.

"To be able to do that in front of their fans was a big thrill," says Barry Pearson, the leading receiver for that NU squad, who had three catches on the day. "The guys from Ohio were really going nuts, because they could go home and hold their heads up. I guess it just means so much to get that one, you could just lose all the others as long as you got that one."
Hey Tolstoy, at least you put them to sleep

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT