ADVERTISEMENT

I might just stop caring.

You should see if he wants to hang out on Saturdays, now that you won’t be watching and he’s quit college football.
I'm committed this season, since I already paid for my season tickets, but I might not renew next season and take up golf on Saturdays instead. We'll see what it all turns into.

Reactions: mikero3
I'm committed this season, since I already paid for my season tickets, but I might not renew next season and take up golf on Saturdays instead. We'll see what it all turns into.
Happy to buy out your tickets so that you don’t have to subject yourself to the indignity.

What would you do with them? The tickets are next to some family members that I sit with.
He would pick the brains of the people who know someone who was previously willing to spring for season tickets, but not a Rock membership.

“Consumers love watching unpaid people play sports.”

When it comes to NCAA sports, where the purpose is supposedly to provide opportunities for underprivileged athletes to use their talents to earn a college education, which is itself something of monetary value and does on average provide those with a degree higher lifetime earning than those without, I guess I'm sort of a communist. Everybody should be treated equally.

So, if EA Sports wants to make an NCAA football game that uses the likenesses of the actual players, I don't have a problem with the players being compensated for that, but I think all players, whether they're superstars or not, should receive an equal cut. That sort of thing I would have no problem with.

Student-athletes should be able to work a job on the side to make ends meet. But I don't think that Alabama Superfan Joe Bob's Used Cars should be able to offer a six-figure gig to the star quarterback to sign autographs for every purchase. If we make corruption "legal" that doesn't mean it's not corruption. If THAT's what college football turns into, then I will lose interest.

I'll need to see what types of rules develop. I watch college football specifically to cheer for the student-athletes. I cheered for them when I was a student myself and I envied them. I never saw them as slaves and I still don't. But I never saw them as professionals either. If I start to see them as professionals, well, my favorite pro team is the Dallas Cowboys. There's not room for me to cheer for another.

Golf? So you’re trading in one form of masochism for another?

When it comes to NCAA sports, where the purpose is supposedly to provide opportunities for underprivileged athletes to use their talents to earn a college education, which is itself something of monetary value and does on average provide those with a degree higher lifetime earning than those without, I guess I'm sort of a communist. Everybody should be treated equally.

So, if EA Sports wants to make an NCAA football game that uses the likenesses of the actual players, I don't have a problem with the players being compensated for that, but I think all players, whether they're superstars or not, should receive an equal cut. That sort of thing I would have no problem with.

Student-athletes should be able to work a job on the side to make ends meet. But I don't think that Alabama Superfan Joe Bob's Used Cars should be able to offer a six-figure gig to the star quarterback to sign autographs for every purchase. If we make corruption "legal" that doesn't mean it's not corruption. If THAT's what college football turns into, then I will lose interest.

I'll need to see what types of rules develop. I watch college football specifically to cheer for the student-athletes. I cheered for them when I was a student myself and I envied them. I never saw them as slaves and I still don't. But I never saw them as professionals either. If I start to see them as professionals, well, my favorite pro team is the Dallas Cowboys. There's not room for me to cheer for another.

Very well put. My sentiments exactly.

And I particularly agree with this statement you made:

"I don't have a problem with the players being compensated for that, but I think all players, whether they're superstars or not, should receive an equal cut. That sort of thing I would have no problem with."

Reactions: drewjin and kawacko

Get off my lawn.

What will this do to team cohiesion? Joe big QB gets 100,000 and starting left tackle gets peanuts. And what of the scout squad member whose work is important to game preporation? Maybe the endorsment money could go into a team pool and the be dived in some equitable fashion similar to the way the coference shares post season revenues.

I don't think that Alabama Superfan Joe Bob's Used Cars should be able to offer a six-figure gig to the star quarterback to sign
I think this is the biggest danger of NIL. It could legitimize what we used to call the 100-dollar handshake from an alum or fan or the no-show job. I note Reggie Bush is already asking for his Heisman Trophy back after losing it because of under the table benefits he and his family received while at USC.

I swear, the worst part about golf, and there are many bad parts, is how golfers always want to tell you about their round, in detail.
I
Don't
Care
And it does not matter if it was a good or a bad round

“O.k. At this year’s Elite 11 competition, we are going to mix things up a little bit. After this morning’s warmups, we are going directly into the endorsement competition. We know you can sling it, but can you bring it? Give the cameras your A games and your winning smiles. Good luck, gentlemen.”

“O.k. At this year’s Elite 11 competition, we are going to mix things up a little bit. After this morning’s warmups, we are going directly into the endorsement competition. We know you can sling it, but can you bring it? Give the cameras your A games and your winning smiles. Good luck, gentlemen.”

Highest bidder, here I come.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT