ADVERTISEMENT

I want McCall to remain in his position

I think keeping him would be awkward and counterproductive. I have seen this happen in organizations and it never ends well. If he is as good as some folks believe, he should not have problem finding a new job. Heck, Colby is still employed.

He retired last year after being nominated for the Frank Broyles Award.

"Colby joined coach John Bonamego's staff prior to the 2015 season, and he immediately made an impact as his defense ranked second in the MAC and 16th among Football Bowl Subdivision teams. Bonamego nominated Colby for the Frank Broyles Award, which goes to the top assistant coach in college football." - CMU biography for Colby

He retired last year after being nominated for the Frank Broyles Award.

"Colby joined coach John Bonamego's staff prior to the 2015 season, and he immediately made an impact as his defense ranked second in the MAC and 16th among Football Bowl Subdivision teams. Bonamego nominated Colby for the Frank Broyles Award, which goes to the top assistant coach in college football." - CMU biography for Colby
Colby belongs in the MAC. MAC and cheese.

FL’s choices of where to begin and end post deletion are quite interesting. FL, you do realize this began w gcg insults originally, yes? And this is what has led to the situation at hand. Gotta be even handed and not show deference to your buddies.

FL’s choices of where to begin and end post deletion are quite interesting. FL, you do realize this began w gcg insults originally, yes? And this is what has led to the situation at hand. Gotta be even handed and not show deference to your buddies.

Nah!

Seriously, if you want to argue people into oblivion, take up Law again. You can get paid for it, and maybe win a case now and then.

Reactions: IGNORE2

You think I’m buddies with FL? Good one. However you can try to shirk blame, I guess.

You think I’m buddies with FL? Good one. However you can try to shirk blame, I guess.

Maybe. But I’m still here, have two active handles and apparently there is a reason above your pay grade. So blown as hard as you want, but somethings speak for themselves. Cheers.

Seriously, if you want to argue people into oblivion, take up Law again. You can get paid for it, and maybe win a case now and then.

I have taken the challenge to battle gcg’s venom whenever and wherever and return it in kind. He provides me cover. We are Dick and Jane.

Maybe. But I’m still here, have two active handles and apparently there is a reason above your pay grade. So blown as hard as you want, but somethings speak for themselves. Cheers.

I have taken the challenge to battle gcg’s venom whenever and wherever and return it in kind. He provides me cover. We are Dick and Jane.

Are you even bothering to try to make sense anymore?

He defended German war criminals at Nurenburg because their cells were too cramped. He's a genuine Mr. Magoo. I can't wait for him to give a TED talk on the environment because he knows the secrets of sewage trickle filter design.

He defended German war criminals at Nurenburg because their cells were too cramped. He's a genuine Mr. Magoo. I can't wait for him to give a TED talk on the environment because he knows the secrets of sewage trickle filter design.

Not my thing, but thanks.

Reactions: Gladeskat
I would write a three times longer post but I have a mobility issue so I will keep it short.

1 He has been our OC for the years we won ten, won bowls, last year B10 championship game. So this is an off year, okay spit happens.

And that's largely due to Hank and the D (also helped that Wisky was banged up last season).

The O has had an off-year for many, many seasons.

2. Oh look at the poor results some will say, 68th in this category and so on,. The fact is Fitz has made it clear he wants a more or less "safe' offense that kills clock so his beloved defense can stop the enemy. Put another way, Randy Walker loved the O, Pat loves the D.

A safe O, doesn't necessarily have to mean an anemic one.

Case in point, the WC O run by Shanahan and Kubiak.

Both versions of the WC like to run the ball, shorter-medium throws (need a good TE) w/ shots taken downfield every once in a while on PA.

For a supposed safe O, both Trevor and Clayton ended up throwing their fair share of picks - whether it be from being put into a bad 3rd and long situations or those damn throws to the sideline which travel a far distance (for not much gain) that were prone to getting jumped by the DB.

One can have a ball-control O that is much more dynamic.

Getting an OC who:

1. knows how to put his players in a favorable position and takes full advantage of their talents

2. uses the proper personnel/knows how to attack the opponents weakness instead of stubbornly sticking to the game plan (until too late)

3. makes quicker adjustments

4. has a scheme/playbook that's easier on young QBs when it comes to the passing game (can't keep waiting til they get a season or 2 under their belt before we see a passable passing game - which is why have to keep relying on a running QB in the meanwhile)

Doubts about McCall started way back - the Army game to be precise.

It was well known that Army's weakness on D was their secondary, so the gameplan that McCall came up w/ (and Fitz approved) was to run Colter?

OK, maybe you try that, but after 1Q, a full half of it not working - why wouldn't you make a change sooner until it was too little, too late in the 4th Q?

We saw something similar in the M00N game where Siemian got hammered by the UM pass rush for 3 quarters (McCall's solution to that was to position Trevor further back when taking snaps) where I though the reason why McCall wasn't letting Siemian break the pocket and roll out was b/c Trevor still had that lower leg injury.

But lo and behold, the 4th Q comes around and Trevor was in fine form using his legs to either set up the pass or run for the 1st down.

Again, too little, too late (and we should have seen Siemian use his legs a lot more throughout his career at NU).

There are other examples, but the one that drove me especially nuts was continuing to hand the ball off to the RB on 3rd/4th and short, when it was pretty evident the O-line was incapable of sustaining a push for the QB to hand the ball off to the RB and then for the RB to make it back to the LoS, much less gain the yard or so that was needed.

It's not like the answer was particularly difficult (QB sneak), but it took McCall way too long before he abandoned something that wasn't working for something that would work (more often than not).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT