ADVERTISEMENT

I-witness account

TheC

May 29, 2001
Much to the dismay of Coral Cat, TheC was not arrested in Uncasville, CT yesterday afternoon as he took in the Cats at Mohegan Sun Arena in the Hall of Fame TipOff Classic. These are some of his.... ok... wait... this third person thing is stupid. Here are some of my impressions from finally getting to see this team in person.

1. The day started off nicely with a meetup with BosCat and SDakaGordie and his wife to watch the first half of the NU-Purdue game. Simpson-Elmwood joined us to say hello as well as he was there with his family all decked out in purple! Gordie was kind enough to buy me a beer, which means I will be taking his side from now on in the great PWB-Gordie debates!

2. Man, today's team is much more athletic than when I went to school. Everyone was dunking in the layup line, throwing alley-oops off the backboard and otherwise putting on a bit of a show.

3. What you appreciate much more in person is how hard our guys play on defense. I was a bit surprised at first, but really impressed with the effort and communication. Watching the way they seem to instinctively switch or not switch depending on the movement of the opponent's offense was artistic. The guys were in the ball handler's grill and reacted quickly to the drive or shot.

4. Matt Nicholson is a big man in the middle. He really clogged up the paint and protected the guys on the perimeter if they got beat off the dribble. Preston didn't quite have the same effect when he was in. The unfortunate part is that Matt was almost non-existent on the offensive end. However, there was one glimmer of hope midway through the second half where the Cats actually dumped the ball inside to him and he actually made a move, put the ball on the floor and made a layup!! That should have been there all day and I hope they keep working that into the offense.

5. The Cats jumped all over Rhode Island early and with 7:52 left in the first half, were leading 22-2! I texted my kids as it was so incredible. Then, RI exploded on a 15-4 run and suddenly there was a bit of a sinking feeling as the lead was only 7 at the break. Fortunately, this disappointment was balanced by the football Cats finishing up their win to clinch a bowl as SimpsonElmwood and I shared a high-five.

6. Brooks is fun to watch. He is just in such control. He is not shy about finding his shot, but doesn't badly force things. The thing that surprised me in person was how athletic he was. His rebounding was impressive and he really has some hops to get up there for those boards.

7. Clayton was impressive as a freshman. He seemed to get the defensive rotations well and played a nice, composed point guard. He wasn't that aggressive looking for his shot, but did have one pretty drive to the basket for a layup.

8. The Cats were teetering between opening the game up and having Rhode Island put on some serious pressure for much of the second half. The mostly pro-Rhode Island crowd got pretty loud whenever the lead went into single digits and they thought a run might be coming. However, midway through the second half, the Cats seemed to figure something out. They had Martinelli post up his shorter man deep in the middle of the paint and dumped the ball into him. He easily overpowered his man for a layup. I think this happened twice in a row before Rhode Island made a switch. Then, the Cats smartly ran the exact same play for Barnhizer who also got an easy bucket. The lead went back into double digits and pretty much stayed there.

9. I'm still a huge Ty Berry fan. While he missed a few open 3's, he also made a few that were big including the capper near the end. His energy on defense included some tipped balls and a great steal and coast-to-coast layup. He ended up our third leading scorer, which would be huge if he can do that consistently.

10. In 2017, the Cats were coming off a surprise NCAA tournament appearance. They returned a lot of players and big things were expected. They came to Mohegan Sun for the Hall of Fame classic and TheC attended the Saturday game, which the Cats won. Excited by the chance to see them play, I came back for the Sunday game where they proceeded to get battered by Texas Tech and looked terrible doing so. That was the first sign that something wasn't quite right with that team. The body language was horrible. In 2023, the Cats are once again coming off a surprise tournament appearance and once again are back in Connecticut for the Hall of Fame classic. Once again, TheC attended the Saturday game to cheer them on. However, in an attempt to break the pattern, I have decided not to attend today's championship in order to shake things up a little. Let's hope the Cats go on to victory and you can all buy me a beer (except Gordie, who I owe!!).

Much to the dismay of Coral Cat, TheC was not arrested in Uncasville, CT yesterday afternoon as he took in the Cats at Mohegan Sun Arena in the Hall of Fame TipOff Classic. These are some of his.... ok... wait... this third person thing is stupid. Here are some of my impressions from finally getting to see this team in person.

1. The day started off nicely with a meetup with BosCat and SDakaGordie and his wife to watch the first half of the NU-Purdue game. Simpson-Elmwood joined us to say hello as well as he was there with his family all decked out in purple! Gordie was kind enough to buy me a beer, which means I will be taking his side from now on in the great PWB-Gordie debates!

2. Man, today's team is much more athletic than when I went to school. Everyone was dunking in the layup line, throwing alley-oops off the backboard and otherwise putting on a bit of a show.

3. What you appreciate much more in person is how hard our guys play on defense. I was a bit surprised at first, but really impressed with the effort and communication. Watching the way they seem to instinctively switch or not switch depending on the movement of the opponent's offense was artistic. The guys were in the ball handler's grill and reacted quickly to the drive or shot.

4. Matt Nicholson is a big man in the middle. He really clogged up the paint and protected the guys on the perimeter if they got beat off the dribble. Preston didn't quite have the same effect when he was in. The unfortunate part is that Matt was almost non-existent on the offensive end. However, there was one glimmer of hope midway through the second half where the Cats actually dumped the ball inside to him and he actually made a move, put the ball on the floor and made a layup!! That should have been there all day and I hope they keep working that into the offense.

5. The Cats jumped all over Rhode Island early and with 7:52 left in the first half, were leading 22-2! I texted my kids as it was so incredible. Then, RI exploded on a 15-4 run and suddenly there was a bit of a sinking feeling as the lead was only 7 at the break. Fortunately, this disappointment was balanced by the football Cats finishing up their win to clinch a bowl as SimpsonElmwood and I shared a high-five.

6. Brooks is fun to watch. He is just in such control. He is not shy about finding his shot, but doesn't badly force things. The thing that surprised me in person was how athletic he was. His rebounding was impressive and he really has some hops to get up there for those boards.

7. Clayton was impressive as a freshman. He seemed to get the defensive rotations well and played a nice, composed point guard. He wasn't that aggressive looking for his shot, but did have one pretty drive to the basket for a layup.

8. The Cats were teetering between opening the game up and having Rhode Island put on some serious pressure for much of the second half. The mostly pro-Rhode Island crowd got pretty loud whenever the lead went into single digits and they thought a run might be coming. However, midway through the second half, the Cats seemed to figure something out. They had Martinelli post up his shorter man deep in the middle of the paint and dumped the ball into him. He easily overpowered his man for a layup. I think this happened twice in a row before Rhode Island made a switch. Then, the Cats smartly ran the exact same play for Barnhizer who also got an easy bucket. The lead went back into double digits and pretty much stayed there.

9. I'm still a huge Ty Berry fan. While he missed a few open 3's, he also made a few that were big including the capper near the end. His energy on defense included some tipped balls and a great steal and coast-to-coast layup. He ended up our third leading scorer, which would be huge if he can do that consistently.

10. In 2017, the Cats were coming off a surprise NCAA tournament appearance. They returned a lot of players and big things were expected. They came to Mohegan Sun for the Hall of Fame classic and TheC attended the Saturday game, which the Cats won. Excited by the chance to see them play, I came back for the Sunday game where they proceeded to get battered by Texas Tech and looked terrible doing so. That was the first sign that something wasn't quite right with that team. The body language was horrible. In 2023, the Cats are once again coming off a surprise tournament appearance and once again are back in Connecticut for the Hall of Fame classic. Once again, TheC attended the Saturday game to cheer them on. However, in an attempt to break the pattern, I have decided not to attend today's championship in order to shake things up a little. Let's hope the Cats go on to victory and you can all buy me a beer (except Gordie, who I owe!!).
You mentioned that we actually looked athletic and you especially mentioned how athletic Barnhizer is. Did you communicate that to Gordie and ask him why he always thinks we’re not as athletic as any team we play and we only win because of coaching?

You mentioned that we actually looked athletic and you especially mentioned how athletic Barnhizer is. Did you communicate that to Gordie and ask him why he always thinks we’re not as athletic as any team we play and we only win because of coaching?
I said we looked athletic compared to when I was in school. I think the deficit isn't as great as it used to be, but I still think most teams are more athletic than us. We'll see today as that Mississippi State team looked pretty athletic.

Reactions: drewjin

Seems like pwb may have left the building. That time out was up a bit ago and nothing from him. No +/-, witty banter, dig at the mods… nope, another contributor run off by some great moderation and now they expect one of you folks to pick up the load. Who’s got the +/-?

Great to meet you all in the flesh for a couple of minutes. I met @SDakeGeordie last year in Sacramento. I would have joined you at your table but I have one daughter back from (non NU) college and needed to spend quality time with her.

Will add a few thoughts later. Go Cats!

Reactions: TheC
Second half of this game is giving you the answer. Mississippi State is clearly more athletic than us and it’s the difference in this game.

Yeah, sadly Miss State shot better than they usually do from 3 early in game, which kept them closer than they should have been. We’ve been rushed and cold in second half and can’t stop them.

Second half of this game is giving you the answer. Mississippi State is clearly more athletic than us and it’s the difference in this game.
That’s great. Of course there are some teams that are more athletic than NU. My point is that some around here act like every team we play is more athletic than us. Not true. Not even close to true.

That’s great. Of course there are some teams that are more athletic than NU. My point is that some around here act like every team we play is more athletic than us. Not true. Not even close to true.
Not sure why you have to make this more of an issue than it is. If you were right, then you should really thank Collins anyway, as we’ve never, ever been more athletic than virtually all teams we play, especially major conference teams. How could we be now, lest for his recruiting? Going to the game to see the difference - it was stark and obvious, and just confirms the reality of it all.

They were definitely more athletic but I’m not confident that it’s the core reason why we lost. They are a great defensive team but we missed a lot of open looks. Western Michigan flashbacks.

Didn’t we hold them to under 40% shooting in the second half or something like that?

They were definitely more athletic but I’m not confident that it’s the core reason why we lost. They are a great defensive team but we missed a lot of open looks. Western Michigan flashbacks.

Didn’t we hold them to under 40% shooting in the second half or something like that?
Our bigs are not getting it done. Is it a chemistry thing?

Our bigs are not getting it done. Is it a chemistry thing?
Their center is really good. I feel like Matt is just really slow this year. Maybe they’re banking on him being a presence in the paint for big ten play but he just looks like he’s laboring.

Reactions: cedricmelons
Not sure why you have to make this more of an issue than it is. If you were right, then you should really thank Collins anyway, as we’ve never, ever been more athletic than virtually all teams we play, especially major conference teams. How could we be now, lest for his recruiting? Going to the game to see the difference - it was stark and obvious, and just confirms the reality of it all.
Again, not talking about the game today. Talking about guys like you who use it as a crutch to show what a great coach Collins is. “Never been more athletic than virtually all teams we play” is just a ridiculous statement. But guys like you just want to do whatever you can to make Collins look like John Wooden.

I bet I could go through our schedule for this season and argue that we’re more talented than half the teams we play. But that wouldn’t fit your narrative about how great Collins is and how he has to be a genius to be competitive with his players.

It’s just kind of annoying when the talent of our players is disparaged just because some have an agenda for Collins. Who, by the way, I think did a great job last year and think he has finally grown as a coach. But he wasn’t always a good coach in my opinion. But for you he was great on day 1. It’s ok to disagree.

Again, not talking about the game today. Talking about guys like you who use it as a crutch to show what a great coach Collins is. “Never been more athletic than virtually all teams we play” is just a ridiculous statement. But guys like you just want to do whatever you can to make Collins look like John Wooden.

I bet I could go through our schedule for this season and argue that we’re more talented than half the teams we play. But that wouldn’t fit your narrative about how great Collins is and how he has to be a genius to be competitive with his players.

It’s just kind of annoying when the talent of our players is disparaged just because some have an agenda for Collins. Who, by the way, I think did a great job last year and think he has finally grown as a coach. But he wasn’t always a good coach in my opinion. But for you he was great on day 1. It’s ok to disagree.
It’s athleticism (not talent) we were taking about, I believe…

Agree it’s ok to disagree on Collins. I never said he was great on Day 1. I just (for the umpteenth time) tried to defend him in the down years that he was still a very good coach that we did not want to fire. That’s it. Call it an agenda if you want, but I have no relationship with him, so I am just calling it like I see it.

And I will buy a beer for any Cat fan, any time!

Reactions: TheC
I went, watched the warmup and NU does work with the bigs on low-post, footwork and mid range shots. I would expect they do the same at practice. Why our bigs do not use this is a mystery. (Except for Hunger).

NU does not drive and kick to make the defense adjust. Barnhizor and Boo, when the drive, they put the blinders on. Rarely do they kick out and the ball is moved for an open shot, Mississippi St, did that.

NU does not take advantage of fast break opportunities to beat the other team down court and not allow the defense to get setup.

Talking about yesterday's in-person experience first.

Attending early season BB tournaments are one of my favorite experiences as a Cat fan.

With so few fans at these games, it's easy to connect with players' families, players and fellow Cat fans.

Aside from reconnecting with @SDakaGordie @TheC and @BosCat yesterday, we also met many players' families - Langborg's family, Blake Smith's dad and Boo's dad. We spent the most quality time with Blake Barkley's family, who was in our row. Jordan Clayton's family was in the row in front of us, but we weren't able to say hi.

After the game we talked with Nicholson's parents. We got an incredible photo of my 5'0" daughter and MN. Hilarious.

These games are the only time I can express to the players' families how much their kids playing for Northwestern means to us fans.

Now today's game. Mississippi St. is not a great outside shooting team, so they were lucky to be in the game at the start of the 2nd.

I was impressed how MSU dissected the defense in the 2nd half. Even if this is a loss, this is an important coaching moment for this staff. If quick guards drive, the Cat D converges. This allows the driving guard to either dish to a big or kick to the 3pt shooter. How does the Cat D respond?

I hope the staff can figure it out.

On offense, I was worried that Barnhizer's game would not be as effective against a team like MSU. If Barnhizer is not a viable offensive threat and the 3s are not falling, it's tough sledding. That was the 2nd half.

It’s athleticism (not talent) we were taking about, I believe…

Agree it’s ok to disagree on Collins. I never said he was great on Day 1. I just (for the umpteenth time) tried to defend him in the down years that he was still a very good coach that we did not want to fire. That’s it. Call it an agenda if you want, but I have no relationship with him, so I am just calling it like I see it.

And I will buy a beer for any Cat fan, any time!
I will be at Callahan's on Hilton Head Island at 8pm. I will take a pint of Yeungling

Reactions: SDakaGordie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT