ADVERTISEMENT

I worked for Northwestern Football for four seasons. Ask me anything.

towercat

Jul 8, 2023
Long-time reader of the forum. Lots of folks have asked and DMed questions privately, but I'm off work today so I decided to make myself a little more available for folks. I'll pop in throughout the day to answer.

The best way to learn about my experience is by listening to my podcast (shameless plug) but if you've already listened and you think anything was unclear or unaddressed, ask away and I'll do my best to answer candidly.

Identity verification

I (Kiara) was there from 2016-2019. My co-host was there from 2019-2022. If you have 2020-2022 questions, I'll ping my co-host, and she'll chime in.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I (Kiara) was there from 2016-2019. My co-host was there from 2019-2022. If you have 2020-2022 questions, I'll ping my co-host, and she'll chime in.
Did either of you ever see any incidents of racism or feel that racism was even minimally tolerated or condoned by Fitz or anyone else associated with the football program?

Did either of you ever see any incidents of racism or feel that racism was even minimally tolerated or condoned by Fitz or anyone else associated with the football program?

Kiara, here.

I can unequivocally state that I never witnessed or experienced any racism from Northwestern athletes or any full-time staff members or coaches. I have no reason to suspect that Fitz would tolerate, condone, or perpetuate racism.

It was deeply offensive when Mike Freeman wrote that Northwestern football has a culture of "hardcore racism" and "white nationalism." It couldn't be further from the truth. He's a hack and should feel ashamed for publishing that clickbait garbage.

Kiara, here.

I can unequivocally state that I never witnessed or experienced any racism from Northwestern athletes or any full-time staff members or coaches. I have no reason to suspect that Fitz would tolerate, condone, or perpetuate racism.

It was deeply offensive when Mike Freeman wrote that Northwestern football has a culture of "hardcore racism" and "white nationalism." It couldn't be further from the truth. He's a hack and should feel ashamed for publishing that clickbait garbage.
Love it, more people need to call out the "journalists", like Freeman, that publish this clickbait garbage. That's exactly what the entire original article was, sensationalized clickbait GARBAGE, and it cost a good man his entire livelihood

Kiara, here.

Thanks for that. Let’s take it one step further. I have been a NU fan for 40 years and can’t even count how many times I’ve heard from recruits, players and their families about the family atmosphere that was created in the football program during Fitz’s tenure. Was that lip service or did you see the same? Was a culture of inclusivity promoted or did you observe a lot of factions/cliques within the football program while you were there?

The most important question now is if hazing as alleged by Richardson and the other five or so litigants happened. Richardson framed it as required activity that the coaches (and particularly Fitz) were aware of and even ordered as punishment.

Does Richardson have any support on the team? Or is the letter signed by the entire team calling him a liar an honest reflection of the entire team? The word “entire” has caused some debate on the board.

Reactions: IGNORE2
The most important question now is if hazing as alleged by Richardson and the other five or so litigants happened. Richardson framed it as required activity that the coaches (and particularly Fitz) were aware of and even ordered as punishment.

Does Richardson have any support on the team? Or is the letter signed by the entire team calling him a liar an honest reflection of the entire team? The word “entire” has caused some debate on the board.
I doubt two female managers would have insight into what happened in the football locker room.

If the abuse was as prevalent and such a normal part of the program culture as the accusers have said, then I’d think everyone connected to the team would know. There is no way all of the professional and student staff wouldn’t hear about that stuff. The allegations were so serious because they stated that hazing and that kind of behavior were not secretive and were instead part of how NU football operated.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Love it, more people need to call out the "journalists", like Freeman, that publish this clickbait garbage. That's exactly what the entire original article was, sensationalized clickbait GARBAGE, and it cost a good man his entire livelihood
WE HATE THE FAKE NEWS MEDIA DONT WE FOLKS

Reactions: NUCat320
I doubt two female managers would have insight into what happened in the football locker room.
We had a ton of insight into what happened in the locker room. We worked directly across from the locker room. Our male colleagues were in the locker room on a daily basis and we spoke to them every day. We typically knew which players were traveling on road games before they even knew.

As student staff, we had a unique insight because we hung out with the players socially and through our bosses, had insight into the broader athletic department. We’ve celebrated birthdays with players. We went to parties together. We even had managers who were student coaches and sat in position group meetings.

There’s not much that goes on around a college football program that the managers don’t know about.

-Kiara

Last edited:

I worked for the program for four seasons and I learned about running during my first year with the team. Some players opted out of the practice entirely. Some players looked forward to participating in it. But some players had an issue with it. We discussed this extensively during on the podcast.

I’m not going to comment on any individual players.

-Kiara

Thanks for that. Let’s take it one step further. I have been a NU fan for 40 years and can’t even count how many times I’ve heard from recruits, players and their families about the family atmosphere that was created in the football program during Fitz’s tenure. Was that lip service or did you see the same? Was a culture of inclusivity promoted or did you observe a lot of factions/cliques within the football program while you were there?

Yes, it was a family environment. It wasn’t lip service. We had Thanksgivings together. We lived together. It’s hard to not become super close under those circumstances. Fitz always had an open door policy for anyone who didn’t have a place to go for the holiday.

Like other football teams, guys were close to people in their position groups. But I often ate lunch at tables with players of different races from different position groups.

I look back on that time very fondly. I felt like I was part of a family for sure. The N never comes off!

-Kiara

Last edited:
I worked for the program for four seasons and I learned about running during my first year with the team. Some players opted out of the practice entirely. Some players looked forward to participating in it. But some players had an issue with it. We discussed this extensively during on the podcast.

-Kiara
Now you went and blew it. The Enablers are coming to attack you. Anyone that contends it occurred or that people would have an issue with it clearly have an agenda…

I have a question - do you believe PF and any of the coaches knew about the running and the car wash?

If you grant me a second, without naming names, do you suspect any of the John Does are bigger profile names? Meaning that some attack the claimants as low talent malcontents. Do you think any of the John Does would break that profile and probably shock members of this board?

Reactions: zanycat
Yes, it was a family environment. It wasn’t lip service. We had Thanksgivings together. We lived together. It’s hard to not become super close under those circumstances. Fitz always had an open door policy for anyone who didn’t have a place to go for the holiday.

Like other football teams, guys were close to people in their position groups. But I often ate lunch at tables with players of different races from different position groups.

I look back on that time very fondly. I felt like I was part of a family for sure. The N never comes off!

-Kiara

Thanks so much for sharing your perspective and experiences. You are a breathe of fresh air. Your courage to put your name out there is commendable and is very much appreciated. Best of luck on your podcast!

Last edited:

-Kiara
This comment is curious. What was your idea of what "running" was? From the way it was described in the media, it seemed like hazing that was borderline sexual assault, but if it was something a player could opt out of, then that seems less like hazing and more like just goofing around.

This comment is curious. What was your idea of what "running" was? From the way it was described in the media, it seemed like hazing that was borderline sexual assault, but if it was something a player could opt out of, then that seems less like hazing and more like just goofing around.
Yea I doubt it was sexual assault. The big uglies probably thought it was a big joke.

It really sounds like the penis-showing game from the movie Waiting...

Last edited:

Thanks for the question.

At the time, I (Kiara) thought of it as horseplay. Every time I heard someone talk about it whether it be players or staff, they were laughing. So as someone who never witnessed the practice, but heard of it extensively, I thought it was something playful.

We discussed this on the pod but when I first heard about a hazing allegation, I figured it was something new that started after my time with the program. It never occurred to me that running was “hazing.” Even after the fact when I heard that the allegation centered on running, I thought it was kind of silly. It wasn’t until I read about players wanting to unalive themselves in the Daily that I started seriously scrutinizing the practice.

That being said, me potentially misinterpreting the running as horseplay should not be taken as evidence that it was not degrading or inappropriate. What is acceptable to some people in some contexts is not acceptable to others.

If you asked me in August 2022 if I thought running, runsgiving or runsmas was hazing, I’d say “no” and laugh it off.

If you asked me today, I’d reluctantly say “yes, it probably was.”

Thanks so much for sharing your perspective and experiences. You are a breathe of fresh air. Your courage to put your name out there is commendable and is very much appreciated. Best of luck on your podcast!
Thank you! It was very scary because I (Kiara) love this program so much, I really do. So I was hesitant to be critical, but as long as I’m speaking the truth, then I have nothing to be fearful of.

If Fitz or any coach called me today and invited me over for dinner, I’d be on a flight to Illinois yesterday. Okay, maybe I wouldn’t fly there lol but if I was in the area, I’d go.

Fitz isn’t a cartoon villain who was clapping over kids heads in practice to set them up to be abused. That’s not him. But he also was the head coach of a program that was struggling on the field and harbored a practice that at best, was pretty inappropriate.

I don’t think it requires any cognitive dissonance to feel that way.

Pod was great. Heck of a first go for you two.

Your perspective was perfect IMO. So close to the team, but not a coach or player, and frankly I appreciated the perspective of two women speaking on how it was perceived from the outside.

Was it wrong? Yes. Was it what we were led to believe by a past player? Heavens no. Thanks for the insights.

Take care, good luck and go Cats.

Reactions: drewjin
Thanks for the question.

At the time, I (Kiara) thought of it as horseplay. Every time I heard someone talk about it whether it be players or staff, they were laughing. So as someone who never witnessed the practice, but heard of it extensively, I thought it was something playful.

We discussed this on the pod but when I first heard about a hazing allegation, I figured it was something new that started after my time with the program. It never occurred to me that running was “hazing.” Even after the fact when I heard that the allegation centered on running, I thought it was kind of silly. It wasn’t until I read about players wanting to unalive themselves in the Daily that I started seriously scrutinizing the practice.

That being said, me potentially misinterpreting the running as horseplay should not be taken as evidence that it was not degrading or inappropriate. What is acceptable to some people in some contexts is not acceptable to others.

If you asked me in August 2022 if I thought running, runsgiving or runsmas was hazing, I’d say “no” and laugh it off.

Hey Kiara,
Your podcast was entertaining and informative, it provided a lot of clarity on the hazing situation. I guess most of the people around the program knew roughly what was happening but it didn't trigger the "inappropriate hazing" flag, as you said. I agree that it had to stop. However, if handled properly by Shill and Gagg after the 6 month investigation, Fitz may have ended up with a 4 game suspension instead of sudden termination and the clown show of lawsuits that we have today.

Hey Kiara,
Your podcast was entertaining and informative, it provided a lot of clarity on the hazing situation. I guess most of the people around the program knew roughly what was happening but it didn't trigger the "inappropriate hazing" flag, as you said. I agree that it had to stop. However, if handled properly by Shill and Gagg after the 6 month investigation, Fitz may have ended up with a 4 game suspension instead of sudden termination and the clown show of lawsuits that we have today.
This is the crux of the problem. The reaction was overblown and handled exceedingly poorly.

Schill and Gragg should be fired for breach of contract and conduct detrimental to the University.

This is the crux of the problem. The reaction was overblown and handled exceedingly poorly.

Schill and Gragg should be fired for breach of contract and conduct detrimental to the University.
No doubt Schill and Gragg bungled this beyond belief and deserve to be fired. But why does Fitz get to skate by with just a 4 game suspension? He showed no accountability, responsibility, or remorse with his initial statement after the 2 week suspension was announced. As the highest paid employee, the face of NU athletics, he had a responsibility to do more in light of the fact that some of the kids who were subjected to team activities were considering self harm. That breaks every vow and promise that Fitz famously makes to recruits and their families.

If Fitz showed more humility initially and took more personal responsibility for the culture getting out of hand, he'd still be here regardless of the incompetence of Schill and Gragg.

Kiara/ @towercat , thanks for your thoughts here. I’ll make sure to listen for your full(er) perspective soon.

I’m interested in the idea of ‘opting out’ of running. How does someone about to get ‘run’ opt-out of it?

What percentage of upperclassmen would you say participated as ‘runners’?

With your cohost, you represent seven years in the program. Would you say that running in 2016 was different than running in 2019 or 2022?

(For me, The Athletic article laid out that the practice accelerated in the last decade or so.)

Not asking names, but did you notice that there were individuals who were particularly enthusiastic?

Hey Kiara,

Fitz and his athletic department supporters were no doubt part of the ‘negotiation’ on the suspension. Based on the above perspective, it seems very unlikely that Fitz had no knowledge, though of course there’s no way to ‘prove’ what someone knew.

Fitz’s insistence that he therefore bore no responsibility remains, for me, the single biggest failing. Had Fitz accepted a suspension with teeth, I think he’d still have a job. (Also, had Schill read the report before issuing the suspension.)

With a four-week suspension, even if the whistleblower goes public with the details, the University can say they’ve assessed the situation, doled out a significant punishment (two conference games and two more), and have taken steps to eradicate it from the football program and athletic department. Maybe they can offer counseling to anyone who would like it, past or present.

With no suspension worth anything, they had no legs to stand on.

No doubt Schill and Gragg bungled this beyond belief and deserve to be fired. But why does Fitz get to skate by with just a 4 game suspension? He showed no accountability, responsibility, or remorse with his initial statement after the 2 week suspension was announced. As the highest paid employee, the face of NU athletics, he had a responsibility to do more in light of the fact that some of the kids who were subjected to team activities were considering self harm. That breaks every vow and promise that Fitz famously makes to recruits and their families.

If Fitz showed more humility initially and took more personal responsibility for the culture getting out of hand, he'd still be here regardless of the incompetence of Schill and Gragg.
We wrote the same thing at the same time (and have both written it multiple times).

He had a greater responsibility, and has simply abdicated that.

Just like “2019 will never happen again,” or whatever it was.

Thanks for the question.

Very thoughtful answer and therein lies the predicament. How can coaches have been expected to address something most felt was playful and silly when a) they were not made aware of it and b) the few players who were hurt by it never availed themselves of the many reporting mechanisms Fitz had set up to report these issues?

Last edited:

Fitz has claimed from the get go that he was not aware of the hazing. I have yet to see any evidence from the plaintiffs or anyone else for that matter that he was aware. It was clear to all that steps were in place to report this. Hazing never came out until a fourth string QB got pissed they he got jumping for playing time by a walk on. Sure, he could have said my program, my responsibility, but do you really think he had an opportunity to do that? If so, when? I have no idea if there was a negotiation for the initial 2 weeks. If Schill said we want to suspend you for the season and Fitz negotiated it down to 2 weeks, then I could see your point. Fitz like everyone else in this fiasco would be guilty of underestimating the blow back. However, Schill moved so quickly after this blow back to terminate him which made it near impossible to re-evaluate.

Fitz has claimed from the get go that he was not aware of the hazing. I have yet to see any evidence from the plaintiffs or anyone else for that matter that he was aware. It was clear to all that steps were in place to report this. Hazing never came out until a fourth string QB got pissed they he got jumping for playing time by a walk on. Sure, he could have said my program, my responsibility, but do you really think he had an opportunity to do that? If so, when? I have no idea if there was a negotiation for the initial 2 weeks. If Schill said we want to suspend you for the season and Fitz negotiated it down to 2 weeks, then I could see your point. Fitz like everyone else in this fiasco would be guilty of underestimating the blow back. However, Schill moved so quickly after this blow back to terminate him which made it near impossible to re-evaluate.
exactomundo

Fitz has claimed from the get go that he was not aware of the hazing. ... Sure, he could have said my program, my responsibility, but do you really think he had an opportunity to do that? If so, when?
He had six months to say ‘my program, my responsibility.’ Actually, seven.

I HAD NO IDEA AND YOU CAN’T PROVE I DID.

He even got a pathetic quote in the buried press release. I believe it started “I was disappointed when I learned…”

He did not act like a leader.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT