ADVERTISEMENT

I worked for Northwestern Football for four seasons. Ask me anything.

Didn’t his dad also say Jango wasn’t particularly popular within the team? Nothing wrong with that but a tough choice to be forced to make.
Being injured most of his time probably kept Jango separated from the team. He has never said anything bad about anyone he played with.

Being injured most of his time probably kept Jango separated from the team. He has never said anything bad about anyone he played with.
I can see that. Still lots of interesting information in this thread. Wonder how long it will take Loretta to wrap it up.

Reactions: phatcat
Exactly. Exactly.

And did he deserve to be fired, especially so summarily, so abruptly, so absent due process? Not in my opinion. Suspension, yes. Of course. But if Fitz "deserved" to be fired, so did ALL the other coaches (not the new ones). So did Randy Walker, for that matter.

Mr. Schill, you're a pinhead and a coward.
I think Schill is more of a gigantic dope. He, like Gagg (sic) was an emergency replacement, albeit for a different reason. The difference is, he ran a large university with a top level athletic dept, so he has no "experience" excuse. More like lack of talent. He made two colossal-bad decisions, one right after the other. Meanwhile, Gagg * was hiding in the janitor closet.

*Someone above inadvertently spelled it Gagg, which is how I will spell it going forward.

I think Schill is more of a gigantic dope. He, like Gagg (sic) was an emergency replacement, albeit for a different reason. The difference is, he ran a large university with a top level athletic dept, so he has no "experience" excuse. More like lack of talent. He made two colossal-bad decisions, one right after the other. Meanwhile, Gagg * was hiding in the janitor closet.

*Someone above inadvertently spelled it Gagg, which is how I will spell it going forward.
Sure it was inadvertent?

@towercat, I want to dig into something. You talked about people 'opting out'. What I'd like to find out, was it easier for certain people to opt out? You needn't name names, of course, but if I were a 5'9" 175lb walk-on receiver, would I have had a harder time opting out than a 300lb OLine guy. You can't know what you don't know, but I'm wondering how much of this was bullying. We've all seen the references to "A Few Good Men".

Reactions: drewjin
@towercat, I want to dig into something. You talked about people 'opting out'. What I'd like to find out, was it easier for certain people to opt out? You needn't name names, of course, but if I were a 5'9" 175lb walk-on receiver, would I have had a harder time opting out than a 300lb OLine guy. You can't know what you don't know, but I'm wondering how much of this was bullying. We've all seen the references to "A Few Good Men".
It’s not San Quentin. Even the 5’9 walk on isn’t getting shanked if he puts up a fight. Seriously doubt the perpetrators want a victim to come to practice the next day looking like he went through the meat grinder.

WE HATE THE FAKE NEWS MEDIA DONT WE FOLKS

It's not fake news. There are always multiple perspectives to a story. All we got initially was the plaintiff's full court press.

You should read Dennis Plaskett's book, "Buffaloed" on the Barnett/CU football scandal and gain a new perspective on Fake News and cancel culture. It is the best example that I'm aware of.

It's not fake news. There are always multiple perspectives to a story. All we got initially was the plaintiff's full court press.

You should read Dennis Plaskett's book, "Buffaloed" on the Barnett/CU football scandal and gain a new perspective on Fake News and cancel culture. It is the best example that I'm aware of.

Plaskett may well write a book on how Fitz was buffaloed some day.

We had a ton of insight into what happened in the locker room. We worked directly across from the locker room. Our male colleagues were in the locker room on a daily basis and we spoke to them every day. We typically knew which players were traveling on road games before they even knew.

There’s not much that goes on around a college football program that the managers don’t know about.

-Kiara

I can vouch for that. That info was leaked to me once through the team manager, injured player grapevine.

Thank you for sharing your insights into the program.

I think one disappointment is that there evidently was a lack of transparency going on with things like “running” and “car wash”. As you indicated you can see how it might have become ingrained in the program to the extent that it was not viewed as hazing but outsiders may have had a totally different view. You indicated even some players rebuked these “pranks”. Don’t you think a failure of the program was a lack of transparency- that “outsiders” like family or others attached to the university would view these practices differently from those embedding them? There was a lot of public trust in Fitz to run a clean program that was above board. Even the “optional” naked pull-ups should have been a red flag that something was off in the program.

My (Kiara) opinion is as follows: Fitz almost certainly knew that about running was going on, but did not look at it as hazing. Would I bet my life? No. I can’t get into his head. But it was not a secret practice within the program. It was not something people whispered about. It wasn’t hush-hush. It’s well established at this point that the car washing/ loofah started in the early 2000s and players spoke openly about it in front of coaches and staff. Weird naked, sexual stuff has been going on for a long time.

If pretending Fitz didn’t know helps you reconcile your fandom or sleep at night, then so be it. But I am not so naive to think Fitz was clueless. It’s almost worse if Fitz has been walking around eyes wide shut for two decades.
Thanks Kiara for bringing your insider perspective to the board. I look forward to listening to your podcast. Your comments have been very enlightening and nuanced. Great job.

That third party law firm seems to have done a cursory job (prolly to cover for the AD) since other later reporting dug deeper than they did. Let’s see what Loretta Lynch uncovers and then we’ll talk.

Yet you won’t acknowledge that no one has gone on record with an affidavit, including mutually beloved Hank, that hazing including running never occurred. If you’re innocent and have nothing to hide then why not go on record and not hide behind a non specific group letter or tweet?

You know the OPs aren’t going to name names or would have been aware of the most egregious behavior. No one wants to rat on this, but once someone flips, most likely an accused player / assistant / staff, then it turns into who can cut deals / testify once the truth comes out. There will be an attempted settlement, but I think some of these accusers and attorneys will want this to go to court. Gon git bumpy…

Shrek gang in Evanston and Kenosha has been talked about in multiple places. How anyone can defend innocence of the perps and leadership on this is beyond the pale.
Loretta Lynch? Seriously? NU is paying her! She has to come up with something.

So let’s not go that far and just sign a legal attestation / affidavit that none of the hazing behavior was ever observed, rumored, or known of? No one has done that to defend the program yet.

Bet they’re are numerous current and past players and assistant coaches who won’t do that. Then logic says they are hiding something.
Or they just don't want to get involved. Called into court etc...

Or they just don't want to get involved. Called into court etc...
True. And ESPN had another meaningless open letter from an additional 86 former players. Problem still remains that many of these former players maybe weren’t hazing ringleaders, but were peripheral participants in the hazing. Unless they come straight out and make definitive statements, they are all suspect as part of the problem.

True. And ESPN had another meaningless open letter from an additional 86 former players. Problem still remains that many of these former players maybe weren’t hazing ringleaders, but were peripheral participants in the hazing. Unless they come straight out and make definitive statements, they are all suspect as part of the problem.
Why should they get involved? Especially, when the public will claim you are tone deaf.

Why should they get involved? Especially, when the public will claim you are tone deaf.
Defend the program and university we all love? Be part of the solution and not the problem? Clear their names? Anyone who won’t swear they never took part in the abuse must be partially guilty. Clean house. Expose the truth. Scorch the earth before rebuilding. I want Schill and Gragg gone too, but hiding behind the open group letters is kinda hypocritical. Fitz is capable of defending or not defending himself. At some point the perps need called out if there is ever going to be a meaningful recovery for the team, Athletic dept, admin, alumni, and fanbase.

Defend the program and university we all love? Be part of the solution and not the problem? Clear their names? Anyone who won’t swear they never took part in the abuse must be partially guilty. Clean house. Expose the truth. Scorch the earth before rebuilding. I want Schill and Gragg gone too, but hiding behind the open group letters is kinda hypocritical. Fitz is capable of defending or not defending himself. At some point the perps need called out if there is ever going to be a meaningful recovery for the team, Athletic dept, admin, alumni, and fanbase.

What if there were no perps?

What do you think runsmas and runsgiving consisted of?

Horseplay…not sexual assault. Not criminal activity. Was it wrong? Did it cross the line? Debatable. Should it be discontinued in this day and age? Yes. Does this type of stuff happen in virtually every high school and college football lockeroom? Absolutely.

Reactions: GOUNUII
Horseplay…not sexual assault. Not criminal activity. Was it wrong? Did it cross the line? Debatable. Should it be discontinued in this day and age? Yes. Does this type of stuff happen in virtually every high school and college football lockeroom? Absolutely.
What about sexual harassment?

I don’t know - because the program is purely innocent and PF was the greatest mentor, leader, teacher, etc that put them on the path to their successes and he is under attack? Didn’t you read the message from Hank?

Does this great deity PF have no loyal warriors? Damn shame - I mean, it was such a clean program.

Reactions: phatcat
Where are all the other athletes and coaches from all these programs coming out to say it happens everywhere - nothing to see here. Where is the industry defense?

Long-time reader of the forum. Lots of folks have asked and DMed questions privately, but I'm off work today so I decided to make myself a little more available for folks. I'll pop in throughout the day to answer.

The best way to learn about my experience is by listening to my podcast (shameless plug) but if you've already listened and you think anything was unclear or unaddressed, ask away and I'll do my best to answer candidly.

Identity verification
Thanks for sharing. Listened to your podcast. Putting the team aside for a moment, its great to hear from you young people. I'm an old dude and we may not have a lot of things in common, but as an NU alum, its really nice to get a sense for some of the amazing young folks in our NU family, like you two. As a parent I find it downright heartwarming. Really appreciate your wisdom, your sense of humor, your self awareness, and your initiative. I wish I had had any one of those qualities at your age!

Ok, I still don’t know why these players are expected to take the mantle of defending the program. I eish the same as you, all facts to come out for better or worse.

Where are all the other athletes and coaches from all these programs coming out to say it happens everywhere - nothing to see here. Where is the industry defense?

I chipped in. I even "ran" FloridAlum.

It's locker room goofiness, so long as no one is coerced.

Plaskett may well write a book on how Fitz was buffaloed some day.

If you remember, the so-called evidence was so overwhelming against CU and Barnett. The feminazis and media had tallied up to eight unsubstantiated rapes by CU football players. There was no evidence to support any of them, with extensive DNA testing turning up negative.

Ok, I still don’t know why these players are expected to take the mantle of defending the program. I eish the same as you, all facts to come out for better or worse.
Clearly the administration can’t properly set one foot in front of the other without stumbling. Fitz has been dethroned. No defense from either is worth much at this point.

The current and former players and their hazing actions are what’s in question and only they are capable of self-policing and clearing the air. They all need to look into the mirror and figure out what matters to them. The ones left can restore the program with whoever the new coaches are.

And if Fitz is exonerated and wants to come back, I’m sure there’s a role for him somewhere in the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT