ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana

Do they realize they are snubbing the Outback Bowl? Yes, the Citrus is higher in the Big Ten pecking order but both the Citrus and Outback are tier 1 New Years bowl games for the Big Ten. And it is also short-sighted...what if next year the Outback Bowl is in the position to choose between Indiana and another school and Indiana ends up dropping a tier because their behavior this year. It's one thing to feel slighted, but if you go to a party, act like you want to be there. Don't come grouchy to someone's little get together because you didn't get invited to the cool kid's party.

Do they realize they are snubbing the Outback Bowl? Yes, the Citrus is higher in the Big Ten pecking order but both the Citrus and Outback are tier 1 New Years bowl games for the Big Ten. And it is also short-sighted...what if next year the Outback Bowl is in the position to choose between Indiana and another school and Indiana ends up dropping a tier because their behavior this year. It's one thing to feel slighted, but if you go to a party, act like you want to be there. Don't come grouchy to someone's little get together because you didn't get invited to the cool kid's party.

bowls look to avoid repeat teams as much as possible (unless one of the blue bloods). Don’t think it will hurt that much.

Whop Filyor is having a game. He’s slipped several times like he’s wearing street shoes. Then he turned a 4 yard gain into a 12 yard loss. Then a ghost tripped him.

Reactions: DaCat
For what it's worth, I don't think this is so much about winning or not winning the Outback Bowl. One might argue IU would've had an easier opponent in Florida at the Cotton Bowl (since the Gators had about half its team out for COVID or foregoing the game to prepare for the NFL draft). I think most people would agree that Auburn limped into yesterday's game as well (taking nothing away from our win, but let's agree they were a nice opponent to beat on New Year's Day).

For IU, this is about the Big Ten conference selling them out - they got jobbed out of the championship game based on agreed upon rules, then they got bumped out of NY6 games due to a network of about a dozen old-boy agreements that favor cronyism over merit (8-3 UNC in the Orange Bowl today...would argue they took IU's spot), and then they got bumped out of the preferred B1G bowl game (Citrus), in their eyes, to a lower-ranked team.

I just think their decision to remove the B1G patch was a relatively peaceful, symbolic form of protest that we of all fan bases should appreciate at some level. This attitude of "well we've been there before and we didn't act like this" - nothing wrong with us acting like good little children while the adults made bad decisions, but doesn't mean that IU must do the same.

Reactions: NUCat320
I think you just did.

Anyway, Indiana just gave up another TD to 4-5 Ole Miss. Hoosiers look dazed and confused. They'd be steamrolled by walk-ons if they played Fla like this.
Indy just fumbled. I was hoping they would win. But that ain't happening.

bowls look to avoid repeat teams as much as possible (unless one of the blue bloods). Don’t think it will hurt that much.
Not only that, they're trying to pick 5 different teams in 6 years the past two terms of the contract.

But regardless, Indiana looks like a clown car after today.

Outback is a great bowl; has been 2nd Big Ten selection for decades. Not the bowl to be turning noses at... especially when you haven't won a bowl in decades.

Not only that, they're trying to pick 5 different teams in 6 years the past two terms of the contract.

Outback is a great bowl; has been 2nd Big Ten selection for decades. Not the bowl to be turning noses at... especially when you haven't won a bowl in decades.
Bet the Big ten is glad they removed the conference patches!

OK, OK, Indy... Time to "Put Up or Shut Up!" It's halfway thru Q3 and you're losing to an SEC team with a losing record for cripe's sake and looking inept doing so. You're getting pantsed at the point of attack on Ole Miss rushes and you're getting out-hustled on Ole Miss passes. How 'bout playing some shutdown D? Or if that's beyond your defensive capabilities, how about establishing control of the LOS & find a pass rush or get separation from Ole Miss blockers. No... Then how about getting your collective heads extracted from your collective moons on offense and start moving the chains in a sustained offensive drive towards the Ole Miss end zone. You cannot win being completely dependent on a place kicker making FGs of 50 yards or more as your sole point generator. Try crossing the Ole Miss goal line with bean in hand for once in this game!!! You are an embarrassment to the B1G. Quit your bitchin' and start playing B1G football like you've got a pair in your drawers...

Bet the Big ten is glad they removed the conference patches!
Heh, this certainly is a schadenfreude moment.

I almost never root against Big Ten teams, but I wouldn't mind Indiana losing this game. Just embarrassing to try to make a statement about bowl selection and then faceplant against a mediocre opponent.

We’ve had a great time at the Outback Bowl. Really like that stadium - nice size, with good sight lines, wide concourses and plenty of food options,

We’ve had a great time at the Outback Bowl. Really like that stadium - nice size, with good sight lines, wide concourses and plenty of food options,
It's a good bowl, and the only one we're missing a win off for top Big Ten bowls excluding the NY6.

Hoping we get that win next time we're there.

Reactions: ricko654321
Indiana sure has guys going down a lot on the defensive side after plays to slow down Ole Miss’ pace.

Indy caught them. Apparently Ole Miss is a terrible 4th quarter team.

Man...Miss kicker is killing them. Indy has a chance here.

I take no pleasure in Indiana's loss here, knowing we went through a long span of close and agonizing bowl game defeats.

They fought like hell to make a game of it.

Only positive is we should end up ranked higher.

Hopefully, they focus on what they control in the future and just focus on getting a bowl win instead of whining about bowl selection.

We went through this ourselves over a multi-decade bowl losing span and now Fitz has built a broadly respected program that has won a bunch of great bowl games.

Memo to teams:

Don't run your mouth. Us after Wisconsin, Clemson/Swinney before last night, and now Allen and Indiana. I was rooting for Indiana to win because I wanted Big Ten supremacy in a year where we could claim to be the #2 or #3 team in the conference. We don't get the Big Ten bowl sweep, but it's clear we're #2.

There goes the perfect conference bowl record. Ugh. I wanted IU to win, as I liked their story and it’s good to have them on the rise. But they trailed throughout and gave Lane Kiffin a bowl win. Ugh. And lost to a sub-500 team.

Now I’m glad their conference patches weren’t on.

and Whop finished his day with an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

IU had a chance, but could not execute in the home stretch. Hate to see the SEC rack up another bowl win, but Ole Miss deserved it. They played with more energy.

I take no pleasure in Indiana's loss here, knowing we went through a long span of close and agonizing bowl game defeats.

They fought like hell to make a game of it.

Only positive is we should end up ranked higher.

Hopefully, they focus on what they control in the future and just focus on getting a bowl win instead of whining about bowl selection.

We went through this ourselves over a multi-decade bowl losing span and now Fitz has built a broadly respected program that has won a bunch of great bowl games.

The whole program handled this bowl process poorly and now they have egg on their face. Like you said, they should have focused on what they could control. By not doing so, they have now have cast a shadow on the most successful season they have had in a while.

The whole program handled this bowl process poorly and now they have egg on their face. Like you said, they should have focused on what they could control. By not doing so, they have now have cast a shadow on the most successful season they have had in a while.
Guess it's back to basketball!

Reactions: Skolcat
Yeah, just felt like a needless distraction for them to basically act (from the top down) like they were too good for the Outback Bowl and it showed today.

Made a valiant effort in the 4th quarter, but a loss is a loss and that one will sting. A game they should have won and put their bowl losing streak to end instead turns into a loss to a mediocre Ole Miss team.

Bowls are all about motivation; we're fortunate Fitz has always done a good job of focusing our players on the task at hand:

You always see Fitz exhorting the team to focus on ending the year as champions of the bowl game; i.e. He always says "go out as bowl champions". It doesn't matter whether we deserved a better bowl or not in any year, he always has focused on making sure we're focused on ending the season on a high note.

Go back to 2016, we were 6-6, and yet he was emphatic about how much a bowl win would matter, ending the season 7-6 instead of 6-7. Now we're on a 4 game bowl winning streak that includes that Pinstripe bowl victory.

Just shows that Indiana looked flat until late and then it was too late to fix this. Losing to a super talented team that shouldn't have been matched up to you is one thing; losing an easy chance in a good bowl to end a bowl losing streak is quite another. They should not have lost this game.

Likely it won't happen with Outback as they probably don't want to have the same team two years in a row, but they just made themselves ripe for being "disrespected" again

Shows what a difference a top QB makes. Tuttle looked ready for the hospital most of the game and threw some routine passes right into the turf. On their final successful drive, he also got incredibly lucky on a 30 - yarder that he threw up for grabs and his guy somehow found it.

And all that talk about how they deserved the Citrus... it's important to know when to STFU. The Karma Bus just pulled into Bloomington. Former #11 is now out of NU's way.

Looks like they're losing their DC, too. I don't know what they could have done to keep him, but they should have done more. The Karma Bus pulls into Bloomington for a looooong stop.

Shows what a difference a top QB makes. Tuttle looked like he was ready for the hospital most of the game and threw some routine passes right into the turf. On their final successful drive, he also got incredibly lucky on a 30 - yarder that he threw up for grabs and his guy somehow found it.

And all that talk about how they deserved the Citrus... it's important to know when to STFU. The Karma Bus just stopped at Bloomington. Former #11 is now out of NU's way.

Looks like they're losing their DC, too. I don't know what they could have done to keep him, but they should have done more.
Looked like they could have used Ramsey at QB!

Reactions: rmndcat and Skolcat
Yeah, just felt like a needless distraction for them to basically act (from the top down) like they were too good for the Outback Bowl and it showed today.

Made a valiant effort in the 4th quarter, but a loss is a loss and that one will sting. A game they should have won and put their bowl losing streak to end instead turns into a loss to a mediocre Ole Miss team.

Bowls are all about motivation; we're fortunate Fitz has always done a good job of focusing our players on the task at hand:

You always see Fitz exhorting the team to focus on ending the year as champions of the bowl game; i.e. He always says "go out as bowl champions". It doesn't matter whether we deserved a better bowl or not in any year, he always has focused on making sure we're focused on ending the season on a high note.

Go back to 2016, we were 6-6, and yet he was emphatic about how much a bowl win would matter, ending the season 7-6 instead of 6-7. Now we're on a 4 game bowl winning streak that includes that Pinstripe bowl victory.

Just shows that Indiana looked flat until late and then it was too late to fix this. Losing to a super talented team that shouldn't have been matched up to you is one thing; losing an easy chance in a good bowl to end a bowl losing streak is quite another. They should not have lost this game.
That Yankee Stadium win was a good one!

Reactions: Skolcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT