ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting stuff in the Sun Times today

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
I'm surprised how Collins opened up.

Is negative attention better than no attention?

I also thought this was an interesting comparison in response ...

Appreciate you starting a thread actually worth reading, 112.

I love how Collins doesn't sit around and pretend this season has been acceptable. He's done very much the opposite. Obviously, he's probably more frustrated than the fans. Expectations are so hard to live up to in the coaching world. Next season will be very, very interesting. That said, we still have games this year and I'll be watching them.

Mac’s quotes were damning. He thinks the team might not be in shape now? How could we have failed so dramatically this off-season?

I love how Collins doesn't sit around and pretend this season has been acceptable. He's done very much the opposite. Obviously, he's probably more frustrated than the fans.

I agree that it is refreshing to get an honest take from Coach Collins and BMac as well as The Sun Times.

For the first couple months of the season, the board was split between those who recognized trouble and those who pretended that we were more or less on par with last season or a course correction was a matter of just shooting a little better. Meanwhile, CC started opening up a little bit about the trouble after just game 5.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Appreciate you starting a thread actually worth reading, 112.

I love how Collins doesn't sit around and pretend this season has been acceptable. He's done very much the opposite. Obviously, he's probably more frustrated than the fans. Expectations are so hard to live up to in the coaching world. Next season will be very, very interesting. That said, we still have games this year and I'll be watching them.
This happens often after a team climbs a mountain. They lose their edge. And it doesn't really take much

I heard Bernstein & Goff talking about this on The Score today. BMac's quote about the Texas Tech beatdown that drew their attention and kinda shocked me, too:

“I kind of knew we weren’t ready,” he told the Sun-Times on Wednesday, a day before the Wildcats’ game at Wisconsin. “We weren’t really prepared to play a good team. We weren’t mentally ready. I don’t think we were in shape physically. I’m still not sure we’re even really in shape now.”

Okay, maybe they weren't prepared for that game, early in the year. That's fine. It can happen. But not in shape now? After 23 games? Isn't that damning of Collins, as well as the entire team? I don't know, maybe it's just me, but that's just unacceptable at this point in the season.

Reactions: ricko654321
Okay, maybe they weren't prepared for that game, early in the year. That's fine. It can happen. But not in shape now? After 23 games? Isn't that damning of Collins, as well as the entire team? I don't know, maybe it's just me, but that's just unacceptable at this point in the season.
But this is the time of the season where teams can start to lose their legs, due to the grind of the season. If they weren't in shape at the start of the year, it makes sense to me that they wouldn't be prepared for the grind.

But I do think the 'Cats have played better over the last 3-4 games, so let's see what happens tonight. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I heard Bernstein & Goff talking about this on The Score today. BMac's quote about the Texas Tech beatdown that drew their attention and kinda shocked me, too:

“I kind of knew we weren’t ready,” he told the Sun-Times on Wednesday, a day before the Wildcats’ game at Wisconsin. “We weren’t really prepared to play a good team. We weren’t mentally ready. I don’t think we were in shape physically. I’m still not sure we’re even really in shape now.”

The coach can tell them over and over again, how they need to prepare and practice hard but if a guy doesn't or won't do it, there is little he can do. Guess he can choose to not play someone and that appears to be just what's happening to a least one guy right now.

Makes you wonder: is Bryant saying this about himself? Or is he speaking in the false "we" on behalf of some or even all of his teammates? There must be some more specific reasons for this massive and irreversible failure. Is it the coach, the leaders, the whole team, a couple guys sulking? Lots still unexplained. We may never know. But we do know they blew it. And they won't get another chance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT