ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa St for Brock

That already happened last year. He loves ISU and will be staying for the long haul. I've lived in Chicago, attended grad school there, and am an ISU grad. There is no better campus in America. Godspeed to you Academic Animals who never leave the city.
I still remember the add campaign for ILL back when I went. Remember. Just outside Chicago is a place called Illinois. People in Chicago often have no clue that any other kind of life exists.

I don’t think we will reach at RB this year. Probably those two guys or carry it over.

I also don’t think we really “lost” to ISU.
While JB would have solidified our running attack, it is also true that likely as a Frosh and Soph he would be behind Larkin. Next year we likely have a better sales pitch than this year

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
We aren’t even in the conversation until/unless Ayeni is hired in January. Iowa State has been there from the beginning, including relationships with Campbell, etc.

And, again, if a kid can’t appreciate the difference between NU, ISU, and Minnesota (especially after official visits to all three)... Godspeed.
We aren’t even in the conversation until/unless Ayeni is hired in January. Iowa State has been there from the beginning, including relationships with Campbell, etc.

And, again, if a kid can’t appreciate the difference between NU, ISU, and Minnesota (especially after official visits to all three)... Godspeed.

I
Who are their other possibilities? Losing to Stanford, TSISB even Duke maybe ok but losing to Iowa State, not so much.
I assume he will not miss the "gameday experience" at NU.

Look at it this way. Iowa State probably wasn't his first pick, it is most likely a consolation pick. So, let Iowa State sweat it out when the Michigan's of the world come in search of there plan B players in late November and early December when they fall short on there plan A player, Just my opinion. Oh, and I attended Iowa State for one year back in the 80's, and besides a great all you can eat Chinese Food Buffet, there is nothing there that is inspiring.
Did you flunk out?

Reactions: ST8=GR8
I have lived more than half my life in smaller towns and most in those towns do not find Chicago appealing either other than to visit occasionally

You have just summarized the crux of our social strife. In a developed, service dominated economy like ours, the large majority of the jobs are going to gravitate towards large metropolitan areas. Many Americans from rural areas will need to follow the jobs to the metropolitan areas if they want to thrive financially.

I have great respect for the academics at Northwestern. Top notch.

I think I read somewhere that Brock felt he would be a very good fit for the way Iowa State runs their offense. And he has a great connection to the coaching staff. It may be just as simple as that.

ISU grad here and proud to be. I have three kids who attended D1 colleges on athletic scholarships (UMichigan, Columbia, UFlorida) - 2 of which became All-Americans. I would have been equally as proud to have them also be a Cyclone. (OK-enough of the bragging.) If NW offered my kids, I would have loved to have them go to Northwestern, not only for their academics. Whatever is most important to your child shoud be paramount in his/her decision as to where they go to college (regardless of academic reputation or other non-athletic considerations.)

ISU grad here and proud to be. I have three kids who attended D1 colleges on athletic scholarships (UMichigan, Columbia, UFlorida) - 2 of which became All-Americans. I would have been equally as proud to have them also be a Cyclone. (OK-enough of the bragging.) If NW offered my kids, I would have loved to have them go to Northwestern, not only for their academics. Whatever is most important to your child shoud be paramount in his/her decision as to where they go to college (regardless of academic reputation or other non-athletic considerations.)

Fully agree, but sometimes one wonders if it was the sales pitch rather than the substance in an instance such as this one.

Reactions: MJOFLY
You have just summarized the crux of our social strife. In a developed, service dominated economy like ours, the large majority of the jobs are going to gravitate towards large metropolitan areas. Many Americans from rural areas will need to follow the jobs to the metropolitan areas if they want to thrive financially.

Not if pot is legalized.

Reactions: corbi296
Fully agree, but sometimes one wonders if it was the sales pitch rather than the substance in an instance such as this one.

In pure economic terms (presuming one gets what one pays for) the kid just gave up a four year education costing $272,000 dollars for one costing $77,080. Apart from that as one familiar with the academic support program for athletes (having been the parent of a student athlete) I can vouch that Northwestern's program is second to none.

FWIW, here is the breakdown:

One Year Tuition at Northwestern: $49,047
One Year Tuition at Iowa State: $ 7,736

One Year Room and Board and Books at Northwestern: $19,013
One Year Room and Board and Books at Iowa State: $11,534

Agree, to each hIs own. I lived only 4 years of my life in these small towns in Illinois and another year would have likely pushed me off the edge.
You can go up or down in size one order of magnitude and do ok. Going that second order of magnitude is tough. (ie going from 15K to 150K and be OK and can deal with it but going to 1.5 mill or more is tough or going the other way from Chicago at about 5 million, can go down to 500k but going to 50k or less can be very tough)

Look at it this way. Iowa State probably wasn't his first pick, it is most likely a consolation pick. So, let Iowa State sweat it out when the Michigan's of the world come in search of there plan B players in late November and early December when they fall short on there plan A player, Just my opinion. Oh, and I attended Iowa State for one year back in the 80's, and besides a great all you can eat Chinese Food Buffet, there is nothing there that is inspiring.
Hey
Fair point. Then maybe they were sluttier. I don't know. I'm just making up conceivable reasons he could have picked Iowa State in an attempt to process the unprocessable.
Iowa State is a good place to be. I know it is hard for you guys to believe it. Mark my words THE Iowa State University is going to a force in P5.
BIG 12 Champs in 2020.

You can go up or down in size one order of magnitude and do ok. Going that second order of magnitude is tough. (ie going from 15K to 150K and be OK and can deal with it but going to 1.5 mill or more is tough or going the other way from Chicago at about 5 million, can go down to 500k but going to 50k or less can be very tough)

I went from 5000K to 500, four orders of magnitude, in my last move.
Hey

Iowa State is a good place to be. I know it is hard for you guys to believe it. Mark my words THE Iowa State University is going to a force in P5.
BIG 12 Champs in 2020.

108 years in the making.

My guess is the kid chose ISU because of Campbell and the rest of the coaching staff. He seems like a good guy and a good coach. I hope the kid has a nice career.

Good post.

It's not that hard to wish the kid well and move on. Iowa State has the beginnings of very nice thing (best they've been since the Seneca Wallace days) and if they can hold on to Campbell for three or so more years, may even sneak into the Big XII title discussion.

There's a little bit of ignorance being shown by some WR posters on this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: LACatFan
Good post.

It's not that hard to wish the kid well and move on. Iowa State has the beginnings of very nice thing (best they've been since the Seneca Wallace days) and if they can hold on to Campbell for three or so more years, may even sneak into the Big XII title discussion.

There's a little bit of ignorance being shown by some WR posters on this thread.

“Best they’ve been since the Seneca Wallace days” means better than 7-5(4-4) and 7-7(4-4). High bar.

“Best they’ve been since the Seneca Wallace days” means better than 7-5(4-4) and 7-7(4-4). High bar.

If I recall, some of those teams were top 25 in a loaded Big XII for a good chunk of the season. I’m pretty sure they had at least one nine win campaign as well as tying for the North during that era as well. McCarney was a good coach.

Iowa State is a very tough place to win and Campbell has done a fantastic job to date. Even in year one, when they went 3-9, his teams were giving ranked programs a battle.

Gotta give some credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
Reactions: scotthawk1964

I think I read somewhere that Brock felt he would be a very good fit for the way Iowa State runs their offense. And he has a great connection to the coaching staff. It may be just as simple as that.

Agreed - can't argue with the basics, if he's comfortable there then that's where he should be. I think we can all wish Jirehl the best. Oh, and the absolute best vs. Io_a!

Over the years I have been blessed to be friends with a group of Iowa State alums. I'd put these guys up against my NU friends any day. These are guys who had no idea NU existed when they were 18 because life works like that. NU would have been lucky to have them. They even root for NU on Saturdays and go to NU games. I'm glad Brock chose Iowa State because if it works for him like it has for my friends, dude will have a good life.
I sit near two Iowa State alums. They are all in for the Cats. God bless 'em.

Quincy to Evanston = 5.5 hours
Quincy to Ames = 3.5 hours

Staying close to home, family and friends means something to these students. Plus Chicago ans Minneapolis can be intimidating/less comfortable for someone from a smaller town. College is a big transition, so it is reasonable to expect some players to stick with what feels more familiar.

I don't know what ultimately drove his decision, but I support him choosing what feels right for him. Wouldn't be my choice, but it was his choice to make.

I've been an NU fan my whole life, so obviously I want everything positive for NU. But while I grew up my first 30 years in the Chicago area, I have spent the last eight living in Des Moines and married to an Iowa State alum who has 10 siblings (6 of which went to Iowa State, and her parents both went to Iowa State). Because of that, Iowa State has become my second team (a distant second though). A few things I'll say:

1) I never thought I'd live in Iowa, but now I'm glad I do. I miss family and friends in the Chicago area, but as far as lifestyle goes, I'd take living in Des Moines over Chicago 100 times out of 100. Another person may say the exact opposite. To each their own. But one thing that makes me laugh is when people try and compare going to school in Evanston to a smaller town/city (whether it be Iowa City, Ames, West Lafayette, etc.). Some people don't want the big city and prefer to live in a smaller town. Most big city people don't seem to get that. Going to school in a huge metropolitan area is not appealing to a lot of people- some others may think it's great and that may push them to NU. Everyone is different folks.

2) Iowa State has some nice momentum going. I'd actually compare them most to Purdue right now in the sense that they play second fiddle in their own state, were down for many years, but now have a young energetic coach that has got them winning some (both teams got into bowls last year and won). Campbell has a nice thing going there and I think it's more likely he stays long term at Iowa State than Brohm at Purdue. Though, admittedly, I wouldn't be surprised if both jump to bigger jobs.

3) The Iowa State fanbase may not be huge, but it is much bigger than ours (NU) and their game day experience is significantly better. When they are competitive, their atmosphere is actually a lot of fun and they can fill that stadium pretty easily.

4) Obviously, the education at NU is better than Iowa State, but ISU is a nice school, especially with Engineering (half of my wife's family went there for Engineering). You can get a good education at ISU. It's not like if you choose ISU, you are taking online classes through the University of Phoenix.

Bummer that we didn't land Brock, but I get why he chose ISU.

I've been an NU fan my whole life, so obviously I want everything positive for NU. But while I grew up my first 30 years in the Chicago area, I have spent the last eight living in Des Moines and married to an Iowa State alum who has 10 siblings (6 of which went to Iowa State, and her parents both went to Iowa State). Because of that, Iowa State has become my second team (a distant second though). A few things I'll say:

1) I never thought I'd live in Iowa, but now I'm glad I do. I miss family and friends in the Chicago area, but as far as lifestyle goes, I'd take living in Des Moines over Chicago 100 times out of 100. Another person may say the exact opposite. To each their own. But one thing that makes me laugh is when people try and compare going to school in Evanston to a smaller town/city (whether it be Iowa City, Ames, West Lafayette, etc.). Some people don't want the big city and prefer to live in a smaller town. Most big city people don't seem to get that. Going to school in a huge metropolitan area is not appealing to a lot of people- some others may think it's great and that may push them to NU. Everyone is different folks.

2) Iowa State has some nice momentum going. I'd actually compare them most to Purdue right now in the sense that they play second fiddle in their own state, were down for many years, but now have a young energetic coach that has got them winning some (both teams got into bowls last year and won). Campbell has a nice thing going there and I think it's more likely he stays long term at Iowa State than Brohm at Purdue. Though, admittedly, I wouldn't be surprised if both jump to bigger jobs.

3) The Iowa State fanbase may not be huge, but it is much bigger than ours (NU) and their game day experience is significantly better. When they are competitive, their atmosphere is actually a lot of fun and they can fill that stadium pretty easily.

4) Obviously, the education at NU is better than Iowa State, but ISU is a nice school, especially with Engineering (half of my wife's family went there for Engineering). You can get a good education at ISU. It's not like if you choose ISU, you are taking online classes through the University of Phoenix.

As you say big city individuals don't get what makes smaller towns appealing. Personally I prefer something in the 100k size range to a big city. Lived in Springfield for about 15 years. Big enough to have most of what you want or need and enough choices to satisfy you, affordable and small enough to get around easily and that you can generally know some people when you go someplace. It would take less time to get into a seat at Bush stadium than it takes to get to Sox Park or Wrigley (and for a long time a much better team)

Ames and West Lafayette? At least you didn’t throw in Champaign-Urbana to make your point.

We are Northwestern. We don’t do simple. It’s too complicated.

LOL, you need to get out of the big city.

LOL, you need to get out of the big city.

Really, you want to dispute that jobs are increasingly migrating towards large metropolitan areas? Take the blinders off and try to see the big picture.

I totally get that. Maybe he likes the rural life, maybe he wanted a business management degree to build a small business. I don't think going to ISU for football would make sense though.

My brother and I couldn't live more different lives. He's basically decided after college that he wanted to be an organic vegetable farmer and so he and his wife, who grew up on a farm and went to Cornell's Ag school have a farm outside of Ithaca, NY. They are living their dream.

I take my kids down to visit them when I go back to see my parents, and there is certainly a lot that appeals about living the country life, fresh air being just one. My kids certainly envy a lot of what their cousins get to enjoy on a daily basis (fishing, swimming in ponds, etc...) that you can't get in a big cosmopolitan city, and their food is exceedingly fresh to boot.

Reactions: Jonny2TheP
I totally get that. Maybe he likes the rural life, maybe he wanted a business management degree to build a small business. I don't think going to ISU for football would make sense though.

My brother and I couldn't live more different lives. He's basically decided after college that he wanted to be an organic vegetable farmer and so he and his wife, who grew up on a farm and went to Cornell's Ag school have a farm outside of Ithaca, NY. They are living their dream.

I take my kids down to visit them when I go back to see my parents, and there is certainly a lot that appeals about living the country life, fresh air being just one. My kids certainly envy a lot of what their cousins get to enjoy on a daily basis (fishing, swimming in ponds, etc...) that you can't get in a big cosmopolitan city, and their food is exceedingly fresh to boot.

Well, I personally can't say I live that life, though your brother's sure does read great on paper. I just live in a smaller city than I used to. Metro Des Moines is actually over 630k people now, and it would surprise some that it is the fastest growing city in the Midwest. For some people in Iowa, Des Moines is WAY too big. A lot of it is perspective and personal taste. That's kind of my point- just like it is yours with the different lives you and your brother lead. To each their own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT