ADVERTISEMENT

Is Gragg our Beckman?

Hkjb

Apr 23, 2016
A few months ago I had posted about Gragg possibly being our Bighead. (Ala Silicon Valley)
He's not, though there are some similarities.
I've come to the conclusion Mervyn is actually our Tim Beckman.

The guy who all the other AD's, all the other coaches and all the other fans hope will stay at NU as long as possible.

If the football scheduling fiasco doesn't make that clear (in addition all the other fiasco's) I don't know what will.

Beckman no, Mike Thomas yes. I remember when he was at IL, he was the gift that kept giving. I fear the BOT doesn't want egg on their faces twice with the Schill and Gragg hirings and they stand pat. He is simply unqualified for his position and it is painfully obvious. If NU had an underperforming professor, would they keep them? This is a tremendous job and phenomenal university, get someone who is qualified.

Beckman no, Mike Thomas yes. I remember when he was at IL, he was the gift that kept giving. I fear the BOT doesn't want egg on their faces twice with the Schill and Gragg hirings and they stand pat. He is simply unqualified for his position and it is painfully obvious. If NU had an underperforming professor, would they keep them? This is a tremendous job and phenomenal university, get someone who is qualified.
Actually if he had tenure, yes

Eh, I'd be shocked if Gragg or Schill get extensions.

They aren't permanent fixtures here. At this point, I think BoT doesn't want to turn this into another mess by trying to fire them. Best to just let their contracts play out...

Eh, I'd be shocked if Gragg or Schill get extensions.

They aren't permanent fixtures here. At this point, I think BoT doesn't want to turn this into another mess by trying to fire them. Best to just let their contracts play out...
I sure hope so, when asked the length of his contract by InsideNU, Gragg would not answer the question. Three years is up in June, if they signed him to more than three years, NU is dumber than I thought. Could you imagine the response if they announced his extension??

Reactions: NUCat320 and Hkjb
I sure hope so, when asked the length of his contract by InsideNU, Gragg would not answer the question. Three years is up in June, if they signed him to more than three years, NU is dumber than I thought. Could you imagine the response if they announced his extension??
He probably got at least a 5 year contract when he signed.

Especially given all the turmoil over his predecessor’s hiring.

Reactions: Hkjb
Beckman no, Mike Thomas yes. I remember when he was at IL, he was the gift that kept giving. I fear the BOT doesn't want egg on their faces twice with the Schill and Gragg hirings and they stand pat. He is simply unqualified for his position and it is painfully obvious. If NU had an underperforming professor, would they keep them? This is a tremendous job and phenomenal university, get someone who is qualified
Nice point - I agree with you. With that said, the 'which egg' question may come into play eventually for the BOT. The Egg of changing their minds on a hire, versus the approaching giant ostrich Egg of a self-inflicted scheduling disaster. Possible that things are going to have to get worse, before they get better.

Nice point - I agree with you. With that said, the 'which egg' question may come into play eventually for the BOT. The Egg of changing their minds on a hire, versus the approaching giant ostrich Egg of a self-inflicted scheduling disaster. Possible that things are going to have to get worse, before they get better.
Couple things here. One the BOT is too large to be meaningful. I bet the lunch order is complex and time consuming. Next, these folks (BOT) have massive egos and will never admit to "being wrong" and worse twice. In addition, I truly think some feel Gragg is fine and can give a rats ass about athletics. I recount Wilbon saying Gragg was tremendous, post that statement I lost all respect for him as he is full of s%^&.

Couple things here. One the BOT is too large to be meaningful. I bet the lunch order is complex and time consuming. Next, these folks (BOT) have massive egos and will never admit to "being wrong" and worse twice. In addition, I truly think some feel Gragg is fine and can give a rats ass about athletics. I recount Wilbon saying Gragg was tremendous, post that statement I lost all respect for him as he is full of s%^&.
But, but, he was at the post season game....

Yes. But it this case I was talking Wilbon as I remember how giddy he is when we are somehow successful and those games were in NY
Well then his beloved athletic department is run by his guy and will further erode.

Tim Beckmann went 2-10, 4-8, and 6-7 in three embarrassing seasons.

Meanwhile NU football and basketball have improved dramatically and a new football stadium is incoming.

The idea that other B1G schools’ fans are talking about or thinking about Gragg, let alone hoping he stays, is inane fan fiction.

Tim Beckmann went 2-10, 4-8, and 6-7 in three embarrassing seasons.

Meanwhile NU football and basketball have improved dramatically and a new football stadium is incoming.

The idea that other B1G schools’ fans are talking about or thinking about Gragg, let alone hoping he stays, is inane fan fiction.
So you think Gragg is the reason these items you listed have come to fruition?

Gragg preceded Schill by a year.

The handling of the Fitz situation was a disaster, but Schill’s mistake was that he trusted Gragg to handle it. Schill inherited Gragg, trusted Gragg to do his job, and Gragg (and Schill) botched the rollout.

There was definitely miscalculation by all involved parties that the Friday release would put the story to a quick end. Again, it would have worked if not for those meddling kids.

Beyond the Fitz situation, have there been other things that Schill has done wrong?

Gragg preceded Schill by a year.

The handling of the Fitz situation was a disaster, but Schill’s mistake was that he trusted Gragg to handle it. Schill inherited Gragg, trusted Gragg to do his job, and Gragg (and Schill) botched the rollout.

There was definitely miscalculation by all involved parties that the Friday release would put the story to a quick end. Again, it would have worked if not for those meddling kids.

Beyond the Fitz situation, have there been other things that Schill has done wrong?
If Schill left the decision to reprimand Fitz to Gragg, he should be fired immediately. Also, Schill said he was the one who made the decision to terminate Fitz (not sure if Schill was also the one who decided a 2 week suspension was befitting the “crime”). Either way, any pinxishment for the person who is the face of the school should be made by the person in charge. This is all on Schill.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Wasn't me, my friend. There are three people with the ability to remove threads.
I get it, Gregg is a saturated subject, but you guys are going to be deleting a lot of posts/threads if the draconian monitoring style continues. Btw, bring Capped is now a moniker for being deleted on this forum, not necessarily a reflection of which of the 3 people are doing the deletion.

People should normally be able to avoid threads they don’t wish to view or engage in by reading the title of the thread.

I get it, Gregg is a saturated subject, but you guys are going to be deleting a lot of posts/threads if the draconian monitoring style continues. Btw, bring Capped is now a moniker for being deleted on this forum, not necessarily a reflection of which of the 3 people are doing the deletion.

People should normally be able to avoid threads they don’t wish to view or engage in by reading the title of the thread.
I guess I'm just confused by what you mean when you say "draconian monitoring style". We really haven't had any problems for many months now aside from some trolling/personal attacks.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
I guess I'm just confused by what you mean when you say "draconian monitoring style". We really haven't had any problems for many months now aside from some trolling/personal attacks.
Just don’t understand why a whole thread vanished. I don’t believe I even posted on the thread, but if posts are personal attacks I would think they would be removed before entire threads disappear. Maybe something got out of hand, don’t know.

To add to this, there are like 3-4 threads per topic that say the exact same thing and have the exact same conversation. Lakeside Field, Fitz Lawsuit, portal candidates, etc.

I get locking threads where things get out of hand or insanely off topic (there should have course continue to be warnings).

But isn’t part of the point of signing up to be a mod the ability to make the board run better outside of locks and bans? Like merging threads and keeping things organized? The same conversation is happening all over the board and it feels like there’s an opportunity to allocate time differently.

Example; this thread going from Gragg to mod philosophy.

• Love
Reactions: NUCat320
To add to this, there are like 3-4 threads per topic that say the exact same thing and have the exact same conversation. Lakeside Field, Fitz Lawsuit, portal candidates, etc.

I get locking threads where things get out of hand or insanely off topic (there should have course continue to be warnings).

But isn’t part of the point of signing up to be a mod the ability to make the board run better outside of locks and bans? Like merging threads and keeping things organized? The same conversation is happening all over the board and it feels like there’s an opportunity to allocate time differently.

Example; this thread going from Gragg to mod philosophy.
We would have a grand total of one thread on each board if I ended up merging all of the threads related to Gragg.

We would have a grand total of one thread on each board if I ended up merging all of the threads related to Gragg.
One approach is to give guidance and create a Gragg discussion / news mega thread.

A few months ago I had posted about Gragg possibly being our Bighead. (Ala Silicon Valley)
He's not, though there are some similarities.
I've come to the conclusion Mervyn is actually our Tim Beckman.

The guy who all the other AD's, all the other coaches and all the other fans hope will stay at NU as long as possible.

If the football scheduling fiasco doesn't make that clear (in addition all the other fiasco's) I don't know what will.
Actually Beckman had some redeeming qualities. Gragg, not so much

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT