ADVERTISEMENT

IT'S OFFICIAL NOW - NORTHWESTERN CONFIRMS/ANNOUNCES - BRAUN IS OUR NEW HEAD COACH

Here is the Daily link. Well-deserved, coach.

I am very glad to see him get the permanent position.

Does anyone know what kind of contract he has been given?
Northwestern contracts are extremely difficult to figure out as are those of any private institution. They generally aren't ever made public and only every couple of years do we get some kind of informed speculation on what our coaches are paid. Just the reality of private institutions' information control.

Braun's contract is likely something like a 3-4 year deal for $3-4 million per year with a buyout around $7-10 million that decreases to sub $4 million by year 3.

That's what an entry level football HC contract would look like for Northwestern for an assistant that becomes HC.

Obviously if he's successful the next 2-3 years, he can quickly get that to the $6-7 million per year range that Fitz was at if he generates hype as a top coach and we offer him a competitive salary as such.

Five years seems like a long contract for a rookie head coach. If he does well in the first 2-3 years he likely will get a better job elsewhere and if the current year is an anomaly we would be stuck for a few extra years than needed.

I’m rooting hard for him to build upon this season’s unexpected success, but wondering what the rationale was from a NU standpoint if the report is accurate.

Five years seems like a long contract for a rookie head coach. If he does well in the first 2-3 years he likely will get a better job elsewhere and if the current year is an anomaly we would be stuck for a few extra years than needed.

I’m rooting hard for him to build upon this season’s unexpected success, but wondering what the rationale was from a NU standpoint if the report is accurate.

as a HS recruit, would you want to commit to a coach with a 2 or 3 year contract, knowing that your college career is more likely 4-5 years?

I wasn’t thinking two years was smart, and unless a coach is on the hot seat or in the last year of his contract, his contract length is likely immaterial to HS recruits.

And you can always extend the contract if he does well, too. Happy for Coach Braun in any case and wishing him much continued success!

Buyout probably is very low after 3 years so the fact that it's a 5 year deal isn't all that significant.

It’s awesome because he won’t cost much per year and his buyout will be reasonable.

We are playing without a home for the next two seasons which is going to be tricky for recruiting potentially so having stability helps. If he’s really bad over the next few years it becomes easy to cut bait and hire a new guy with a 1 year old stadium. Hopefully it doesn’t come to that.

I wasn’t thinking two years was smart, and unless a coach is on the hot seat or in the last year of his contract, his contract length is likely immaterial to HS recruits.

And you can always extend the contract if he does well, too. Happy for Coach Braun in any case and wishing him much continued success!
Full acknowledgement that in the era of buy-out clauses, the contract length isn't necessarily indicative of much in terms of how long a coach will be around. But I think contract length is very much relevant to recruiting, even if it's more about perception than reality.

Full acknowledgement that in the era of buy-out clauses, the contract length isn't necessarily indicative of much in terms of how long a coach will be around. But I think contract length is very much relevant to recruiting, even if it's more about perception than reality.
I have no idea about the money but it's probably less than you would have to pay somebody like Chryst. Meantime if he flames out he probably has a good career as DC somewhere. Likewise Northwestern will be wandering in the desert like israelites for 2 years. Honestly I think he could win some games there with FCS talent. This was the right decision miraculously made by the Northwestern administration

Reactions: DaCat and No Chores
This was the right decision miraculously made by the Northwestern administration
Obviously a no-brainer decision, as the no-brain clown team had no other choice but to hire Braun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT