ADVERTISEMENT

It's time to extend Collins

I really believe he’s going to have the opportunity to leave after this season if he so chooses. Will be interesting.

What jobs will be open that he would want more?

If Scheier flames out at Duke, I could see the appeal to him to save the program. Short of that, there are few better fits for him than NU.
That may seem far fetched, but if Duke exits before Sweet 16, I could envision Blue Devil nation looking at Collins as the perfect choice given what he's done here. That is likely the only other gig that would be compelling. He's got a job for life here.

He's pretty much in line for a salary upgrade to the top 10-15 salary area ($4-4.5 million range) with a couple years added.

If he leaves, I'd have to think it's for a shot at the NBA where the salaries are *way* bigger at the top (and we can't realistically outbid NBA teams).

But he knows he has this job for life at this point.

3 tournament bids and 3 tournament wins gives him a long runway to get to another..., so if he enjoys building the program here, he can do this as long as he wants at this point.

I really believe he’s going to have the opportunity to leave after this season if he so chooses. Will be interesting.
He will always have the chance to leave. All the school can do is continue to make good-faith efforts to keep him. And if they do, he’ll stay… because he isn’t building a whole program just to bail.

Reactions: drewjin
If I’m Collins and Duke comes calling, I use it as leverage for an extension, higher salaries for assistants, admissions leeway (I know, dream on) and better facilities.

Jk about that last part
I agree his best bet, if he’s happy at NU, is to leverage his success for whatever the program needs Fitz style. We have the money to do what’s needed. Maybe even get Pat Ryan to kick in to NIL instead of kicking in for salary. If he looked at NU as just another job he could try a blue blood, but that’s a great way to end up looking for a job again in four years. If he wants the big money it’s the NBA, but I don’t know if his resume screams NBA head coach, which is a whole other deal.

I agree his best bet, if he’s happy at NU, is to leverage his success for whatever the program needs Fitz style. We have the money to do what’s needed. Maybe even get Pat Ryan to kick in to NIL instead of kicking in for salary. If he looked at NU as just another job he could try a blue blood, but that’s a great way to end up looking for a job again in four years. If he wants the big money it’s the NBA, but I don’t know if his resume screams NBA head coach, which is a whole other deal.
I met Mrs. and daughter Hoiberg at Lincoln airport in summer 2022. The family is very close with the Collins family. Mrs Hoiberg commented on how tough it is trying to win at Nebby and NU, but intimated that they prefer college to pro gigs. This was at a time when both Chris and Fred were under a lot of pressure. Happily both CCC and Hoiberg have reversed their fortunes.

Last edited:
That may seem far fetched, but if Duke exits before Sweet 16, I could envision Blue Devil nation looking at Collins as the perfect choice given what he's done here. That is likely the only other gig that would be compelling. He's got a job for life here.
Can't see that yet. If it happened couple more times maybe but not yet

He's pretty much in line for a salary upgrade to the top 10-15 salary area ($4-4.5 million range) with a couple years added.

If he leaves, I'd have to think it's for a shot at the NBA where the salaries are *way* bigger at the top (and we can't realistically outbid NBA teams).

But he knows he has this job for life at this point.

3 tournament bids and 3 tournament wins gives him a long runway to get to another..., so if he enjoys building the program here, he can do this as long as he wants at this point.
It should but still has Gragg to contend with. Once we get rid of him...

Anybody who fires a coach is in a rebuild. I can’t see a coach who is building a program, with a new arena, in his hometown, with his kid in school, leaving a program.

That said, what could be appealing is a job like Duke, far-fetched but not impossible. There could also be an exciting challenge at Michigan State, should Izzo retire (there’s not been rumors, but he’s not a ‘farewell tour’ guy and his son just walked on Senior Day), and perhaps even at Kentucky, where the loudest voices could prevail if their volume is matched by insane dollars.

Basically, I could only see CCC leave NU for a true blue blood program.

It should but still has Gragg to contend with. Once we get rid of him...
*IF* we get rid of him. Gragg is probably chomping at the bit hoping he can lose Collins and run the program into the ground with his own hire.

If I’m Collins and Duke comes calling, I use it as leverage for an extension, higher salaries for assistants, admissions leeway (I know, dream on) and better facilities.

Jk about that last part
You forgot about NIL. There is always a way

Jk about that last part
“Better facilities” - like what a private airport next to the new practice facility and stadium NU built for him? Thankfully the facilities ship has sailed for NU.

Reactions: Sec.112
Anybody who fires a coach is in a rebuild. I can’t see a coach who is building a program, with a new arena, in his hometown, with his kid in school, leaving a program.

Those are exactly the coaches that leave programs, case in point in football, the new Indiana football coach.

“Better facilities” - like what a private airport next to the new practice facility and stadium NU built for him? Thankfully the facilities ship has sailed for NU.

This would have been a great place to play and recruit. Oh well, too late now. (Could have built a new stadium there too!)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT