ADVERTISEMENT

Ivy League Expansion

jimmyNU

Sep 12, 2005
#FireMcCall
Disclaimer: This is just an idea of mine. It's not going to happen, and I don't have any inside information.

I regret that big money has ruined college football. I also know that after the super conferences are formed it will quickly be realized that not everyone can compete, especially not without an NIL salary cap.

I think some schools with true academic priorities need to consider joining the Ivy League. I think it could be a way to revert back to a purer game that isn't completely for sale. Specifically, I think Northwestern, Stanford, and the three service academies should go this route. Others might include Duke, Rice, Vanderbilt, and Georgia Tech.

Disclaimer: This is just an idea of mine. It's not going to happen, and I don't have any inside information.

I regret that big money has ruined college football. I also know that after the super conferences are formed it will quickly be realized that not everyone can compete, especially not without an NIL salary cap.

I think some schools with true academic priorities need to consider joining the Ivy League. I think it could be a way to revert back to a purer game that isn't completely for sale. Specifically, I think Northwestern, Stanford, and the three service academies should go this route. Others might include Duke, Rice, Vanderbilt, and Georgia Tech.
I hope this doesn't happen ever, or if it does, not until after this old man is long gone!

Terrible idea for NU. You can't justify making the type of investments that have been/are being made in NU's athletic program if the school was part of the Ivy League and the economics that go along with it. No Big Ten TV money. Not just in infrastructure but also in coaching staff, support staff etc for all sports, not just football. You would need to kiss Fitz good bye if NU ever seriously considered that option.

I don't think there will ever be a scenario (but never say never!) where Northwestern loses its footing as a school firmly entrenched in the Big Ten Conference.

I could, however, see enough 'new blood' come in where there are sentiments to drift away from the conference's communist inclinations and equal revenue distribution. If that were to happen, I could see NU opting for a simpler existence in athletics...would probably depend heavily on the sitting president and whether there are enough influential donors who care about sports after Pat Ryan passes on.

It's not hard to imagine that CFB will soon move away from the FBS/FCS divide and into a new two-tiered system where schools that can't or won't engage in the NIL arms race or who aren't in the Big Ten or SEC will re-imagine how to field competitive athletic programs.

And if NU enters into an agreement with 8-10 schools with similar academic values, so be it. It's also not gloom and doom - imagine us playing a 10-game schedule every year against schools in destinations like New Orleans, Nashville, Bay Area, etc. with players who didn't demand $1M signing bonuses. I'm fine with it.

Reactions: dmaw
I don't think there will ever be a scenario (but never say never!) where Northwestern loses its footing as a school firmly entrenched in the Big Ten Conference.

I could, however, see enough 'new blood' come in where there are sentiments to drift away from the conference's communist inclinations and equal revenue distribution. If that were to happen, I could see NU opting for a simpler existence in athletics...would probably depend heavily on the sitting president and whether there are enough influential donors who care about sports after Pat Ryan passes on.

It's not hard to imagine that CFB will soon move away from the FBS/FCS divide and into a new two-tiered system where schools that can't or won't engage in the NIL arms race or who aren't in the Big Ten or SEC will re-imagine how to field competitive athletic programs.

And if NU enters into an agreement with 8-10 schools with similar academic values, so be it. It's also not gloom and doom - imagine us playing a 10-game schedule every year against schools in destinations like New Orleans, Nashville, Bay Area, etc. with players who didn't demand $1M signing bonuses. I'm fine with it.
I want to beat Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue, Minnesota, every year. I want to beat Michigan State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Maryland, and Rutgers the years we play them. I cannot wait to get revenge against USC and to rock UCLA. I know we root for a school with an excellent academic pedigree. I do not need to participate in an Ivy League knock off to tell me that. I want Northwestern to win at the highest level of the sport. My opinion is different than yours. This is what makes life interesting.

I want to beat Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Nebraska, Purdue, Minnesota, every year. I want to beat Michigan State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Maryland, and Rutgers the years we play them. I cannot wait to get revenge against USC and to rock UCLA. I know we root for a school with an excellent academic pedigree. I do not need to participate in an Ivy League knock off to tell me that. I want Northwestern to win at the highest level of the sport. My opinion is different than yours. This is what makes life interesting.
How this isn't the ONLY way people think of the changing landscape is insane

If any of these scenarios ever actually happen, I'd be out as a fan. I could go root for North Central if I wanted to

Reactions: Eurocat

Are you insane?

Are you insane?
That's not a kind way to address someone on a message board. I'll sidestep a direct answer by just pointing out that this was just a thought that I have had in recent months. Initially, almost every school is going to play the NIL game. And, as I'm sure you know, a majority of them will not be successful. The money will consolidate to only a few schools and I don't believe it's possible for NU to be one of them.

As a fan of both NU and college football, I would prefer that we exit from this big money madness and find a league where we can be competitive. As, as I sanely said, "It's not going to happen."

That's not a kind way to address someone on a message board. I'll sidestep a direct answer by just pointing out that this was just a thought that I have had in recent months. Initially, almost every school is going to play the NIL game. And, as I'm sure you know, a majority of them will not be successful. The money will consolidate to only a few schools and I don't believe it's possible for NU to be one of them.

As a fan of both NU and college football, I would prefer that we exit from this big money madness and find a league where we can be competitive. As, as I sanely said, "It's not going to happen."

Sorry. I was out of line.

I just thought it was a crazy thought.

I don't understand these types of thoughts at all.

If this was the 70s-80s and we had administrations that did not care about athletics and the program was operating on shoestring support, I might understand op's post.

Instead we're one of the most strongly supported athletics programs financially both in terms of booster support and conference distributions.

We're in a virtual Golden Age of Northwestern athletics... why cut and run?

Pretty sure we're not going to spend $300+ million on a stadium rebuild to compete in the Ivy League to go along with the other $400+ million already spent on athletics facilities.

We'll be fine in the NIL age.

Also top-level college athletics is a key differentiating factor for the university... why give up a golden ticket?

I don't understand these types of thoughts at all.

If this was the 70s-80s and we had administrations that did not care about athletics and the program was operating on shoestring support, I might understand op's post.

Instead we're one of the most strongly supported athletics programs financially both in terms of booster support and conference distributions.

We're in a virtual Golden Age of Northwestern athletics... why cut and run?

Pretty sure we're not going to spend $300+ million on a stadium rebuild to compete in the Ivy League to go along with the other $400+ million already spent on athletics facilities.

We'll be fine in the NIL age.

Also top-level college athletics is a key differentiating factor for the university... why give up a golden ticket?
I hope you are correct, I just don't think it will happen. I don't see 50-60 schools spending $30M+ a year on NIL money indefinitely. I think a lot of schools will give up. I wish these schools would all agree to transparency and some sort of salary cap, but I'm not holding my breath.

I hope you are correct, I just don't think it will happen. I don't see 50-60 schools spending $30M+ a year on NIL money indefinitely. I think a lot of schools will give up. I wish these schools would all agree to transparency and some sort of salary cap, but I'm not holding my breath.
I agree with that.

I do think there needs to be some form of guardrails but I'm not sure it really changes that much for us either way.

Federal legislation over NIL would be much better than the current wild West full of recruiting inducements masquerading as NIL.

We're also fortunate to be in a great spot so that if it ever came down to revenue sharing, conference distributions would largely cover that. I'm not sure how a lot of schools without these giant TV deals will be able to fund that.

I think a lot depends on what the academic goals of the university are.

if it’s to close the gap on schools like Harvard and Princeton then joining the Ivy League would be a home run. It would cement our status as a top ten research university well into the future.

if the goal is to try to balance high level academics and high level athletics then no it would not make sense. But our academic ceiling would be higher if we were considered a true Ivy.

I think the only way the Ivy League would do this is if we packaged ourselves with Chicago so that the other schools could play two away games in one by

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT