ADVERTISEMENT

J.J. STARLING. 2022 guard

Starling showed his entire offensive game and leadership abilities at the camp. He finished a lot of breaks and handled out plenty of assists. His strong-shouldered frame takes contact well, and Starling has the ability to take the ball off the defensive glass to start the break.

Starling has fundamental footwork when he enters the paint. His ability to jump-stop gives him balance to score or make the assist. He communicates well with his teammates and keeps the focus on winning.

Starling told ESPN he will soon choose between Duke, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Stanford and Syracuse.

Reactions: DaCat
Starling showed his entire offensive game and leadership abilities at the camp. He finished a lot of breaks and handled out plenty of assists. His strong-shouldered frame takes contact well, and Starling has the ability to take the ball off the defensive glass to start the break.

Starling has fundamental footwork when he enters the paint. His ability to jump-stop gives him balance to score or make the assist. He communicates well with his teammates and keeps the focus on winning.

Starling told ESPN he will soon choose between Duke, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Stanford and Syracuse.
TOS says he expects to make a decision in the next 2 weeks.

TOS says he expects to make a decision in the next 2 weeks.
A 6-foot-3 confident shot-maker, Starling is skilled with good size and is always a threat to get it going and go on elite personal scoring runs. He is simply wired to score and able to do so at all three levels. His frame coupled with his skill set is what makes him a tough cover. He is strong, smooth, and poised when he is going downhill and has the upside to be a dependable scorer on the next level because he is a shooting guard that can flat out knock down shots with range, and his floor projects for him to be an excellent scorer on the college level. The best part about Starling as a player is that he is team-oriented and can seek buckets without forcing the issue. A skilled shooting guard with an elite basketball mentality, Starling will be an instant impact high major player who will make a name for himself during his freshman season in college

TOS just now. This would be an incredible pick up.

A 6-foot-3 confident shot-maker, Starling is skilled with good size and is always a threat to get it going and go on elite personal scoring runs. He is simply wired to score and able to do so at all three levels. His frame coupled with his skill set is what makes him a tough cover. He is strong, smooth, and poised when he is going downhill and has the upside to be a dependable scorer on the next level because he is a shooting guard that can flat out knock down shots with range, and his floor projects for him to be an excellent scorer on the college level. The best part about Starling as a player is that he is team-oriented and can seek buckets without forcing the issue. A skilled shooting guard with an elite basketball mentality, Starling will be an instant impact high major player who will make a name for himself during his freshman season in college

TOS just now. This would be an incredible pick up.
That's amzing but it describes every single Duke guard ever. He would be breaking new ground at NU, I really hope he wants to chart his own path.

Northwestern might be more attractive with a portal situation that allows unsatisfied players the opportunity to just leave any given year.

Northwestern might be more attractive with a portal situation that allows unsatisfied players the opportunity to just leave any given year.
Why would that make Northwestern more attractive?

Players - in theory - could be more willing to take a chance on a lesser known, up and coming program. Pre-portal you would have been more locked in to your original choice so there may have been too much risk to pass on a school like Duke for a place like NU.

Im sure there’s some game theory Econ/MMSS nerds on this board who can explain it better, but that’s what I think they were getting at.

Players - in theory - could be more willing to take a chance on a lesser known, up and coming program. Pre-portal you would have been more locked in to your original choice so there may have been too much risk to pass on a school like Duke for a place like NU.

Im sure there’s some game theory Econ/MMSS nerds on this board who can explain it better, but that’s what I think they were getting at.

Quick anecdote about game theory. Met with my 15 yo math teacher. His name is Mr Nash. Immediately told him he had the coolest name for a math teacher. He had no idea what I was talking about.

In his defense, he’s an assistant coach of the HS men’s basketball team. Clearly just teaching because he has to. Wait, as a coach he should be curious about game theory. So many questions here.

Anyway, agree 100%. It’s not the portal itself but the 1 transfer without sitting out for a year rule. In theory it should help us.

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
You would think that NU would be hitting hard on this one. From SI

Starling said the school’s recruiting class who’s drives home that point best just happens to be the top class in the SI All-American team rankings for 2022: Duke.

“They definitely come at me the hardest,” Starling said. “Dereck (Lively), Dariq (Whitehead), K Flip (Kyle Filipowski), all of them. They just keep coming too.”

You would think that NU would be hitting hard on this one. From SI

Starling said the school’s recruiting class who’s drives home that point best just happens to be the top class in the SI All-American team rankings for 2022: Duke.

“They definitely come at me the hardest,” Starling said. “Dereck (Lively), Dariq (Whitehead), K Flip (Kyle Filipowski), all of them. They just keep coming too.”
It’d be tough for Brumbaugh to do the work of three.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
I thought the portal transfer without sitting out a year was only for this past year. A special exemption. Now we go back to the old rules. In football that is how it was described.

I thought the portal transfer without sitting out a year was only for this past year. A special exemption. Now we go back to the old rules. In football that is how it was described.
For some reason I understood most people believed the NCAA was going to make the rule permanent. Even if that has not happened yet.

Reactions: hdhntr1
I think it's a bit of a reach to suggest the transfer portal offers a significant advantage to NU. Also, does Sterling see himself as a potential one-and-done? If so, the transfer rules obviously wouldn't mean anything.

Reactions: hdhntr1 and DaCat
... Also, does Sterling see himself as a potential one-and-done? ...
The following quote from him this week at SI.com doesn't make him sound like someone who is thinking one and done.

For me, I'm also hoping again that it's a sign he is leaning away from Duke. You may have nice players at Duke but it's pretty hard to forecast who will be there next year, and especially in two years.

If Duke isn't his thing and he wants to get away from home, I'll have my fingers crossed.

“I want to make sure that I can count on the players around me,” Starling said. “I want to be close with the guys I’m gonna be playing with. I want to know that I’ll be able to count on them and I want them to know that they can always count on me. That’s really important to me.”

The following quote from him this week at SI.com doesn't make him sound like someone who is thinking one and done.

For me, I'm also hoping again that it's a sign he is leaning away from Duke. You may have nice players at Duke but it's pretty hard to forecast who will be there next year, and especially in two years.

If Duke isn't his thing and he wants to get away from home, I'll have my fingers crossed.

“I want to make sure that I can count on the players around me,” Starling said. “I want to be close with the guys I’m gonna be playing with. I want to know that I’ll be able to count on them and I want them to know that they can always count on me. That’s really important to me.”
Worth noting that Duke couldn’t offer that because everyone else there is a possible one-and-done.

I think it's a bit of a reach to suggest the transfer portal offers a significant advantage to NU. Also, does Sterling see himself as a potential one-and-done? If so, the transfer rules obviously wouldn't mean anything.
Here's the logic for why the transfer portal helps NU.

It has a very good academic reputation.
A degree from Northwestern is a big plus when it comes time to start your "real" career.
Others have that advantage... Stanford, Vanderbilt, to a lesser degree Cal-Berkeley, maybe Georgetown, UCLA and Michigan. Duke would be on the list, too, but Coach K took them to the dark side.

Now, for surefire NBA players who are already at Northwestern, the portal could be a negative, if the player has a negative view of his team or more importantly, his coaches.

This seems crystal clear.

Here's the logic for why the transfer portal helps NU.

It has a very good academic reputation.
A degree from Northwestern is a big plus when it comes time to start your "real" career.
Others have that advantage... Stanford, Vanderbilt, to a lesser degree Cal-Berkeley, maybe Georgetown, UCLA and Michigan. Duke would be on the list, too, but Coach K took them to the dark side.

Now, for surefire NBA players who are already at Northwestern, the portal could be a negative, if the player has a negative view of his team or more importantly, his coaches.

This seems crystal clear.
If you're arguing for why people would transfer to Northwestern, I agree. I guess the way this was framed (in a thread about Starling committing, no less), the argument seemed to be that the transfer portal would make Northwestern more attractive to high school commits, which still seems like a reach.

If you're arguing for why people would transfer to Northwestern, I agree. I guess the way this was framed (in a thread about Starling committing, no less), the argument seemed to be that the transfer portal would make Northwestern more attractive to high school commits, which still seems like a reach.
Why is it a reach? Might turn out to not be significant. But why is it a reach to think that it can help us? The big difference is that now kids can transfer once without sitting out a year.

If I'm considering NU, prior to the change I'm thinking: I like what they have to offer, but there's a good chance they will suck. If that is the case, I can transfer but have to sit out a year. That sounds very risky.

With change I'm thinking: I like what they have to offer, but there's a good chance they will suck. I can always transfer and play immediately. It's risky, but less risky.

Again, like so many hypothesis, it might turn out that it does not help us at all. But I do not think it's far fetched to think it decreases the risk of giving the white and purple a try.

Why is it a reach? Might turn out to not be significant. But why is it a reach to think that it can help us? The big difference is that now kids can transfer once without sitting out a year.

If I'm considering NU, prior to the change I'm thinking: I like what they have to offer, but there's a good chance they will suck. If that is the case, I can transfer but have to sit out a year. That sounds very risky.

With change I'm thinking: I like what they have to offer, but there's a good chance they will suck. I can always transfer and play immediately. It's risky, but less risky.

Again, like so many hypothesis, it might turn out that it does not help us at all. But I do not think it's far fetched to think it decreases the risk of giving the white and purple a try.
I don't think "I can just leave if they suck" is quite the argument you think it is. That's just now how people, especially elite basketball recruits, think.

I think it's already been covered, but I don't want to ignore your question to me, so I think the portal setup - assuming no year on the bench - might make Northwestern more attractive to players willing to take a one year risk for the chance to showcase themselves on a B1G stage. If it works out, that's great news for them and the team, and if it doesn't work out but they still managed to showcase themselves, they may be able to move on to a 'better' team.

I'm not specifically talking about Starling here. This just follows my general thinking about how I see the new system as an effective way to rapidly funnel talent upstream.

Once you open us something like that, hard to get the genie back in the bottle. . We already saw plenty of chinks in it as top schools were able to get transfers (in FB) and play them without sitting out for a year. COVID made it official for everyone. So how do you go back now?

Not necessarily a significant advantage. Just a bit more of an opportunity for NU to be able to close the deal. Kid does not have to feel if he made the wrong decision, that is it, they are stuck with it. For NU, there is a lot to landing him and one of the things likely to be used against us is what has happened since the Dance. In the past, the kid could feel he was risking everything to come here even though he feels it is best for him.

Again it does not give us a significant advantage. Just makes the disadvantage of choosing us less of a problem if he later feels that he made the wrong choice

The slightly depressing thing about following this story is that it just seems so unlikely that he will choose us. But even if he does.... well, it would be one of the most high profile recruits we've ever had and we would like to feel like he could be a real difference maker for the program, but then you realize that many of the other programs in the Big10 get a guy like this pretty much every year.

The slightly depressing thing about following this story is that it just seems so unlikely that he will choose us. But even if he does.... well, it would be one of the most high profile recruits we've ever had and we would like to feel like he could be a real difference maker for the program, but then you realize that many of the other programs in the Big10 get a guy like this pretty much every year.
Stop that mess.

then you realize that many of the other programs in the Big10 get a guy like this pretty much every year.
Even so, better to get him than not, so who cares what other schools are getting? Gotta walk before you run.

Reactions: TheC
Disagree that other BIG 10 programs are getting recruits like this every year. He has an offer from Duke! How many players are turning down Duke for Purdue, Iowa, Rutgers, Minnesota and Nebraska? I would say that rarely if ever happens. Those programs are not landing recruits with offers from Duke every year. This would be huge.

Disagree that other BIG 10 programs are getting recruits like this every year. He has an offer from Duke! How many players are turning down Duke for Purdue, Iowa, Rutgers, Minnesota and Nebraska? I would say that rarely if ever happens. Those programs are not landing recruits with offers from Duke every year. This would be huge.

And Rowan had a Kansas offer.

Yes, they are… teams with recruits at the same rank or better:

2022: Ohio St, MSU, Michigan
2021: Michigan, MSU, Nebraska
2020: Michigan, IU, Illinois
2019: Ohio St, MSU
2018: Maryland, IU, Michigan, MSU, Illinois

This dude would be a massive get. But to pretend that this is without precedence in the conference is fan fiction. It literally happens multiple times each year.

Reactions: scru
Yes, they are… teams with recruits at the same rank or better:

2022: Ohio St, MSU, Michigan
2021: Michigan, MSU, Nebraska
2020: Michigan, IU, Illinois
2019: Ohio St, MSU
2018: Maryland, IU, Michigan, MSU, Illinois

This dude would be a massive get. But to pretend that this is without precedence in the conference is fan fiction. It literally happens multiple times each year.
I'm not sure about this research. Tell me which recruits with an offer from Duke (not which 4 star or 5 star) but which recurits with a Duke offer are these teams getting? And are Michigan, MSU, and Nebraska each getting a recruit that had an offer from Duke? Or are they all getting a high 4 star? I just find it hard to beleive that the all-time greatest program in basketball history is constantly losing recuriting battles to Nebraksa, Illinois, and Maryland.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about this research. Tell me which recruits with an offer from Duke (not which 4 star or 5 star) but which recurits with a Duke offer are these teams are getting? And are Michigan, MSU, and Nebraska each getting a recruit that had an offer from Duke? Or are they all getting a high 4 star? I just find it hard to beleive that the all-time greatest program in basketball history is constantly losing recuriting battles to Nebraksa, Illinois, and Maryland.
You can research this pretty easily using the tools on this site. Not sure why others need to do it for you to disprove your conjecture.

Reactions: Vassar69
You can research this pretty easily using the tools on this site. Not sure why others need to do it for you to disprove your conjecture.
My original post said that Purdue, Iowa, Rutgers, Minnesota and Nebraska are not out recruiting Duke. That list was intentional. Of course, IU, MSU and Michigan are different. But my point was that that the majority of BIG teams are not beating out Duke for recruits every year. The response included a bunch of other programs and seemed to have specific recruits in mind. If they have already done the research, they can post it. If not, not a big deal.

Reactions: NUThump
My original post said that Purdue, Iowa, Rutgers, Minnesota and Nebraska are not out recruiting Duke. That list was intentional. Of course, IU, MSU and Michigan are different. But my point was that that the majority of BIG teams are not beating out Duke for recruits every year. The response included a bunch of other programs and seemed to have specific recruits in mind. If they have already done the research, they can post it. If not, not a big deal.
That is list of schools that have landed a prospect ranked at the same national composite ranking (or above).

That is list of schools that have landed a prospect ranked at the same national composite ranking (or above).
Thanks for clarifying. I don’t disagree that other BIG schools are getting great recruits every year. I only disagreed that these schools are getting recruits who had the option of going to Duke. That’s why I think landing JJ would be totally new territory for NU (and honestly for 75% of the conference).

Thanks for clarifying. I don’t disagree that other BIG schools are getting great recruits every year. I only disagreed that these schools are getting recruits who had the option of going to Duke. That’s why I think landing JJ would be totally new territory for NU (and honestly for 75% of the conference).
No doubt. Even without putting the qualifier of specifically looking for Big Ten commits with a Duke offer, only 25% of the conference lands a kid ranked #33 or better in any given year. Would be a massive get.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT