ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin…

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might buy that it was supposed to be a fake QB draw but it was poorly executed by the backup QB and had every right to be blown dead. That was not a step forward running motion or a step forward pump fake, it was a half-kneel. You ask someone to look at that without any other interpretation and most would say he’s starting to kneel down, nobody would say he’s starting to run.
Bingo. Plus time and score only reinforces that.

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE FIND ME A VIDEO OF A QUARTERBACK TAKING A KNEE OUT OF A FOUR-WR SET WITH 2:25 LEFT IN THE GAME PLZ!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

@StreamCat, as always, u da man, man.

I do wish those so convinced it was a fake kneel would watch the highlight. Nobody on the field thought it was a fake kneel. The play was executed quite wonderfully by PSU, with the RB slipping into the specific area vacated by NU’s defenders when they bit on the QBs fake.

The fox sports app lets you navigate to that play only, and not watch the entire package. Unfortunately, I can’t share the highlight of the most important least important play ever here.

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE FIND ME A VIDEO OF A QUARTERBACK TAKING A KNEE OUT OF A FOUR-WR SET WITH 2:25 LEFT IN THE GAME PLZ!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!

I do wish those so convinced it was a fake kneel would watch the highlight. Nobody on the field thought it was a fake kneel. The play was executed quite wonderfully by PSU, with the RB slipping into the specific area vacated by NU’s defenders when they bit on the QBs fake.

The fox sports app lets you navigate to that play only, and not watch the entire package. Unfortunately, I can’t share the highlight of the most important least important play ever here.

4:25 mark:

Reactions: blmr31
Braun also had some undercurrents of anti-Franklin feelings in the post game presser, though more due to the NU home atmosphere comments leading up to the game. No love lost there.

Reactions: drewjin

Holy shit, the replay official said it should have been blown dead. Because they were up 21 points and could effectively kneel out the game. Why is this so hard for some people???

Franklin was obviously trying to run up the score once he got by 17. He got way more aggressive on both offense and defensive. It worked. Everyone I ran into last night that missed the game claimed the Cats were hammered by PSU . Everyone who saw the game said Cats put up a good fight. Got to get those votes James. Can’t believe I am saying this, but I hope both OSU and UM kick their ass.
The line was 27 and 48 total. Tht put them up 28 so they covered both. Wonder if that had something to do with it.

It wasn’t the commentator who said it should have been blown dead it was the replay official. You know, The guy whose job it is to know the rules. Enough already

He’s also wrong. The QB keeps his back foot back because it makes it easier to reset back from the line to loft the ball over the DL.

I don’t really care, just funny to me how blatantly incorrect this take should be to literally anyone who’s watched football.

Braun also had some undercurrents of anti-Franklin feelings in the post game presser, though more due to the NU home atmosphere comments leading up to the game. No love lost there.

I wouldn’t go “undercurrent.” That was about as openly hostile as you’ll find a HC toward another in that kind of setting.

Holy shit, the replay official said it should have been blown dead. Because they were up 21 points and could effectively kneel out the game. Why is this so hard for some people???

And he was also wrong.

Yes, the guy whose job is to know the rules is wrong and some internet guy is right. Got it.
Do you have evidence for your insistence beyond the statement of the rules analyst? Do you consider that the guy who played football recently immediately disagreed?

Have you watched the highlight? What from the movement of the players on the field leads you to conclude that anyone through it was a fake kneeldown?

A fake kneeldown would be relevant if a team came out in victory formation. PSU very clearly came out to run an offensive play — the act of kneeling would have been counter to every other action prior to then.

Anyway, yeesh, I hope you’re done. GCG worked in the NU football office and was involved in recruiting among other things. He def knows more football than me.

The ‘hide your numbers’ concept makes perfect sense. Defenders read keys and the disappearing numbers indicate a QB surging forward. Uihlein and Fitzgerald bit hard.

I’m starting to come around. How could I have doubted you? The only reason I haven’t totally turned is that while it was happening, I thought he was taking a knee. He stepped back and bent his knee, the selfsame motions a qb taking a knee makes. Wait! I may have talked myself back from the humiliating process of admitting I was wrong. 🤔

Do you have evidence for your insistence beyond the statement of the rules analyst? Do you consider that the guy who played football recently immediately disagreed?

Have you watched the highlight? What from the movement of the players on the field leads you to conclude that anyone through it was a fake kneeldown?

A fake kneeldown would be relevant if a team came out in victory formation. PSU very clearly came out to run an offensive play — the act of kneeling would have been counter to every other action prior to then.

Anyway, yeesh, I hope you’re done. GCG worked in the NU football office and was involved in recruiting among other things. He def knows more football than me.

The ‘hide your numbers’ concept makes perfect sense. Defenders read keys and the disappearing numbers indicate a QB surging forward. Uihlein and Fitzgerald bit hard.
Do I have evidence? Other than my own 2 eyes and a professional referee agreeing with me. No other evidence

Do I have evidence? Other than my own 2 eyes and a professional referee agreeing with me. No other evidence
You are anchoring on one piece of evidence that was quickly discredited.

I hope you didn’t lose your bet.

And he was also wrong.
Jeebus, you might want to look at the NCAA rule book before you keep arguing with people.
Rule 4, Article 3, subsection O states the ball is dead “When a ball carrier simulates placing their knee on the ground.” There is no exception for intent,or context, i.e. whether it is at the end of the game. The official should have blown the play dead. I don’t know if the QB was doing what he did intentionally, whether it was at Franklin’s direction or anything else about it. The rule is unambiguous, the official they asked on the broadcast knew the rule (imagine that!)

Jeebus, you might want to look at the NCAA rule book before you keep arguing with people.
Rule 4, Article 3, subsection O states the ball is dead “When a ball carrier simulates placing their knee on the ground.” There is no exception for intent,or context, i.e. whether it is at the end of the game. The official should have blown the play dead. I don’t know if the QB was doing what he did intentionally, whether it was at Franklin’s direction or anything else about it. The rule is unambiguous, the official they asked on the broadcast knew the rule (imagine that!)

Just to clarify, the discretion the officials have on this play is not whether to whistle it dead with placement at the point the ball carrier genuflected, but whether to assess an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on top of the placement for continuing the play after the simulated genuflection. Since the official did not blow the whistle, I would imagine he would not have given that penalty, but if he thought it was intentional illegal deception, he could easily have done so.

Reactions: drewjin
You are anchoring on one piece of evidence that was quickly discredited.

I hope you didn’t lose your bet.
I am “anchoring” my position. on the rules and the opinion of a professional. You are anchoring your opinion ooff a guy on the internet.

This whole thread has been derailed by arguing over whether the QB fake kneeled (he did) and whether it was illegal (it is). The major point is that Franklin is a massive ahole.

He didn’t simulate putting his knee on the ground.

I didn't notice anything amiss watching from the stands. I wasn't watching him that closely, though.

Reactions: NUCat320
When he dipped his knee, it was very close to the ground, which was shown repeatedly on t.v. I'm talking about 2 or 3 inches away. It doesn't matter how the defense reacted, which is irrelevant. The move requires that a penalty be called without exception. I don't know who called the play, and it really doesn't matter, but the quarterback didn't call it by himself. PSU clearly was just trying to run up the score.

Reactions: drewjin and PaCat
Wow! There’s a solid argument. No wonder you usually give one word answers. We are supposed to believe you because you said it. You are the sum of all human knowledge. All hail, the Omnipotent One!

Not difficult to feel confident in your position when you are 100% correct.

When he dipped his knee, it was very close to the ground, which was shown repeatedly on t.v. I'm talking about 2 or 3 inches away. It doesn't matter how the defense reacted, which is irrelevant. The move requires that a penalty be called without exception. I don't know who called the play, and it really doesn't matter, but the quarterback didn't call it by himself. PSU clearly was just trying to run up the score.

Except he didn’t simulate placing his knee on the ground.

Except he didn’t simulate placing his knee on the ground.
Wrong. Were you at the game or did you watch it on t.v., because it was absolutely obvious on t.v. The rules analyst was correct, it didn't matter how the defense reacted, and it was an obvious penalty.

Wrong. Were you at the game or did you watch it on t.v., because it was absolutely obvious on t.v. The rules analyst was correct, it didn't matter how the defense reacted, and it was an obvious penalty.

Both. I’m still right in both viewings.

If NU gets back to where we all want to be, Franklin won't mean diddly squat, so why be so obsessed with him now. He's not NU's problem.

Man you are going to die on this hill. Facts be damned.
He's like the guy who is caught cheating on his wife - deny, deny, deny, even in the face of the obvious. Or the old Groucho Marx line, I believe, about the guy who is caught stealing the elephant from the circus tent, who, when confronted, responds by saying "what elephant?"

He’s also wrong. The QB keeps his back foot back because it makes it easier to reset back from the line to loft the ball over the DL.

I don’t really care, just funny to me how blatantly incorrect this take should be to literally anyone who’s watched football.
I agree that PSU's intent was not to run a fake knee play, it was to run a fake draw play. Which is in itself a serious dick move at that stage of the game. Clearly an attempt to run up the score when they could have run out the clock instead.

However, it is a fact that the NCAA rules state that to "simulate" dropping to a knee should mean the play is blown dead. A point that was popularized after the famous Kenny Pickett fake slide play which many noted should have been deemed illegal. I would consider that play to be simulating dropping to a knee (as apparently, did a professionally paid rules analyst on the broadcast whose job it is to know and interpret the rules). You can agree to disagree on the interpretation I suppose, but to say that those people are outright wrong is incorrect. And you are being unnecessarily difficult here.

In any event, regardless of your interpretation of the play's intention and rules, James Franklin is a dick and I will be rooting against PSU the rest of the year and hope they get smoked by Michigan and OSU.

(PS yes I did have a small amount of money on NU +26 so that contributed in part to my annoyance, but I'm pretty sure I would be pissed off at him for being a dick regardless)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT