ADVERTISEMENT

Jared Jones not signing today

SauceCat

Jan 3, 2009
Teddy G reported that NU hopes to sign Jared Jones in the spring. Anyone have insight into why we're waiting?

This week he sent several positive tweets about NU mens bball.

What is gained by the negative speculation?

This week he sent several positive tweets about NU mens bball.

What is gained by the negative speculation?
Yea, not sure why everyone is going negative right off the bat. It's probably something simple. Maybe he just needs to complete a class this fall to fulfill admissions requirements before he's officially admitted. He'd need to wait to get the grade early in 2019 and his next opportunity to sign would be spring.

He was really expecting the seating capacity at the new arena to be at or near 9,000. I bet he heard it was only 7,000 and decided to look elsewhere.
that's probably it. is their still time to add more folding chairs?

Reactions: FitzFan
Is it possible that admissions told him to wait on signing the LOI until the spring? just speculating, but if he needs to improve his grades or test scores?

Getting admitted into NU is not easy, even for an athlete. It is public record that Greer had a 3.7 GPA and 1310 SAT. While decent, those numbers won't get 95% of non-athlete applicants into NU.

Not good! Bad things man...bad things. As soon as i read "admin" nothing good follows.
Time to lower standards and bring in a championship team. Showtime!

Is it possible that admissions told him to wait on signing the LOI until the spring? just speculating, but if he needs to improve his grades or test scores?

Getting admitted into NU is not easy, even for an athlete. It is public record that Greer had a 3.7 GPA and 1310 SAT. While decent, those numbers won't get 95% of non-athlete applicants into NU.

Yeah... the minimums are nowhere near that for scholarship football or basketball players.

If I were a recruit I would wait until the spring as well and maybe even go so far as to not sign a letter of intent (eg Swanigan at Purdue). Why lock yourself in for nothing in return when the coach could get fired or take another job, the program could get put on probation, etc?

If I were a recruit I would wait until the spring as well and maybe even go so far as to not sign a letter of intent (eg Swanigan at Purdue). Why lock yourself in for nothing in return when the coach could get fired or take another job, the program could get put on probation, etc?

spit ballin' here....cuz the school u want to go to will fill your spot with another recruit....like when Lathon committed and Ayo had to move on

Better to sign a scholarship agreement. Protects the player while allowing the flexibility to change schools if the coach leaves or the school goes on probation.

Reactions: cedricmelons
Better to sign a scholarship agreement. Protects the player while allowing the flexibility to change schools if the coach leaves or the school goes on probation.
Or if aninjury happens. We have seen that NU honors scholarships if committed even if an letter has not yet been signed but other schools might not

Lathan had 3 points and 1 assist in 24 minutes of a blowout loss to Arizona last night. Doesn't exactly look like an instant star to me.

Lathan had 3 points and 1 assist in 24 minutes of a blowout loss to Arizona last night. Doesn't exactly look like an instant star to me.
In the limited data set of three games, he is shooting 22% from the field, 11% from 3, and is averaging four TOs a game. It's still early, though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT