ADVERTISEMENT

Jared Jones

Ok, but how many unproven or incoming frosh have been hyped year after year. Wrassler could figure it out watching the same guy. Other posters can figure it out year after year after year - save the rare exception. Kinda like if something good came from Ash, it would re-energize him. Mac and Pardon refueled the folks looking at the unknown as likely saviors.

Ash was great in high school and flashed some promise his frosh year. Before the injuries one could see a lack of development on the offensive end. Maybe it was the gap between him and B Mac. If you could combine his D with B Mac's O you'd have an NBA point guard.

Reactions: Titanium999
It’s true. The over optimism on incoming frosh is like the true love for the backup QB.

Maybe Jones will be an under the radar smashing success. But that’s against the odds. Odds are that true frosh percentage wise shouldn’t play in the B1G (plenty of exceptions, but as general rule) and three stars aren’t going to be game changers (again, plenty of exceptions but as a general rule).

The irony is that wrassler took premature or unearned hyping to another level and the folks that bash him are some of the same folks that claim every unproven player is the next MJ.
We have had plenty that have. Prior to CCC we had not had a 4 star. And since him, BMac and Pardon were fairly successful as Frosh

And Robbie Beran is 50 there. Gotta like thst...
No offense to Rivals, but they do a much better job on ranking football than basketball. It’s almost like they just completely mail it in with hoops.

Here’s the difference between Jones and Pardon. In 2016, Jones was a top 60 recruit and then he had a knee injury and his recruit ranking plummeted. His offer list reflects a kid who was being recruited by all the top programs and then they walked away because he was damaged. His ranking history reflects a kid who was written off bc of an injury that hit in his all important Junior year. NU came along as he really started to play better off of the injury and now the knee looks fully recovered. Pardon was always overlooked while Jones was more forgotten by the experts after his injury.

There is a TON of content of his team on YouTube. You have to be crazy to not get excited about what he’s going to bring next year. He’s got a B1G body with good hands and can easily flush it at the rim. The guards he played with are absolutely ridiculous one and done type players, but he is an immediate impact type player.

There is a TON of content of his team on YouTube. You have to be crazy to not get excited about what he’s going to bring next year. He’s got a B1G body with good hands and can easily flush it at the rim. The guards he played with are absolutely ridiculous one and done type players, but he is an immediate impact type player.
If he isn’t, I am sure Bob will pull this one out of the archives:(.

If he isn’t, I am sure Bob will pull this one out of the archives:(.

Because we do it all the time. And to those that worry about these kids reading negative comments here, what about the tremendous pressure you are placing in these incoming true frosh with these unreasonable expectations and comparisons?

I think Jones may be like Law. Very good complimentary piece. Third best player on his team. Not likely to ever be able to carry a successful team over a season, but likely to put up some overly solid games.

But none of this is likely to occur his true freshman year. I don’t expect a Pardon like explosion into the scene. I see an out of position Nance and project Young manning the five next season in Benson’s absence.

Because we do it all the time. And to those that worry about these kids reading negative comments here, what about the tremendous pressure you are placing in these incoming true frosh with these unreasonable expectations and comparisons?

I think Jones may be like Law. Very good complimentary piece. Third best player on his team. Not likely to ever be able to carry a successful team over a season, but likely to put up some overly solid games.

But none of this is likely to occur his true freshman year. I don’t expect a Pardon like explosion into the scene. I see an out of position Nance and project Young manning the five next season in Benson’s absence.
And how do you know Young is a project exactly? Most teams that redhort big men have seen good results from that decision. Imagine how Pardon would have been next season if the original plan to redshirt him had not been derailed by injuries. Or did you consider Pardon a project when the original decision was made to redshirt him?

Nobody expected a Pardon-like explosion into the scene for Pardon either.

Reactions: DaCat
Nobody expected a Pardon-like explosion into the scene for Pardon either.

Haywood said at one point during the redshirt period -- so from summer up to Nebraska game -- that Pardon showed the most in practice, that it was clear to staff/team he was an impact player.

Haywood said at one point during the redshirt period -- so from summer up to Nebraska game -- that Pardon showed the most in practice, that it was clear to staff/team he was an impact player.

And yet the plan was to redshirt him...

And how do you know Young is a project exactly? Most teams that redhort big men have seen good results from that decision. Imagine how Pardon would have been next season if the original plan to redshirt him had not been derailed by injuries. Or did you consider Pardon a project when the original decision was made to redshirt him?

I don’t know, never said I did. It’s my opinion. Time will tell.

God forbid we place high expectations on a kid getting a $250k scholarship who is expected to compete in the best basketball conference in America. My apologies, I’m not sure what I was thinking.

God forbid we place high expectations on a kid getting a $250k scholarship who is expected to compete in the best basketball conference in America. My apologies, I’m not sure what I was thinking.

I’m guessing you also don’t have a problem w guys being critical of the athletes either. You weren’t the audience.

The audience are the posters not responding that take issue with anyone posting negatively about any of the players or recruits.

I agree with you. And will go further, god forbid we expect fulfillment of those expectations and hold the recruiters accountable. Cheers!

Please list the B1G players this year that single handedly carried their teams to a successful season and tourney run. I can't think of one that didn't have a very good supporting cast. College hoops is a team sport. Stop expecting an MJ or Lebron type savior.

Please list the B1G players this year that single handedly carried their teams to a successful season and tourney run. I can't think of one that didn't have a very good supporting cast. College hoops is a team sport. Stop expecting an MJ or Lebron type savior.

Um, I’m not expecting one. I agree with others that we need two or three star players. One won’t do it. Shurna, Coble, VV, etc have demonstrated that point.

Not sure if you misunderstood my post or are another trying to put words in my mouth. But I am constantly saying that true frosh impact players are the exception, not the rule. That’s what I still believe. I also believe in the value of red shirting freshman.

i think the best 4 examples are Carson Edwards, Bohannon, big Wesson, and Winston.

I don't think any of those 3 have the years they do if they players are not there.

Reactions: mikewebb68
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT