ADVERTISEMENT

Jim O Donnell wrote about NU again

Status
Not open for further replies.

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
He thinks Braun, not Bajakian, called hazing ‘allegations’ “totally made up”.

O’Donnell also becomes the first media source (I haven’t read anything) to specifically identify ‘the whistleblower’.

O’Donnell’s apparently been emailing Richardson’s dad since the summer.

O’Donnell also becomes the first media source (I haven’t read anything) to specifically identify ‘the whistleblower’.

This is from a guy that has sent exactly a Fitz Apologist. Truth!

Great that 1) someone with credibility questioned the whole story on national television 2) someone covered this side of the story in a local publication.

This country has gotten away from true journalism. Most newspapers have torn down the Chinese wall between reporting and editorial. We need the media to discuss all sides of stories like this.

Braun

Interesting article...

didn't know Braun "lived at Fitzgerald's North Shore home for two months at the start of 2023 while settling into his new regimen in Evanston."

But I think O'Donnell is using this logic...

Sean McDonough said "All of the people I talked to said the allegations were made up"
McDonough talked to David Braun.
therefore
McDonough implied that Braun called the allegations "totally made up."

Thats a bit shaky.

Braun

Interesting article...

didn't know Braun "lived at Fitzgerald's North Shore home for two months at the start of 2023 while settling into his new regimen in Evanston."

Sean McDonough said "All of the people I talked to said the allegations were made up"
therefore

Thats a bit shaky.
O’Donnell doesn’t need McDonough to be his sole source.

Braun

Interesting article...

therefore

Thats a bit shaky.
Yeah, plus I'm not even sure how Braun would speak to that.

Braun's been here for less than a full year; doubt he'd have spoken much about what happened before he was here. He could talk about the culture of the team since he got here, sure.

Genyk, MacPherson, McGarigle, etc. are the coaches that would have offered defenses of the culture here, not Braun.

Braun

Interesting article...

therefore

Thats a bit shaky.
Yeah, McDonough also talked to Bajakian. He commented specifically that Bajakian told them he was coaching his last game at NU. Bajakian was the assistant that McDonough referred to.

I did not get the sense that Braun spoke candidly about the culture that preceded him. How would he know?

That’s a Medill F and entirely misleading.

O’Donnell doesn’t need McDonough to be his sole source.
Don't get me wrong. I don't know anything about O'Donnell but respect him for swimming against the tide.
The fact that he is essentially crying foul in defense of Fitzgerald after Fitzgerald "ghosted" him says a lot.
He's trusting his instincts as a journalist.

I'm just trying to parse O'Donnell's words, because I heard McDonough say what he said during the broadcast and was equally struck by it, but I didn't think McDonough was obviously talking about Braun.

I guess its possible that Braun is (or was) naive about talking to national media, but alarms should have been going off, especially given the likelihood that Gragg or Schill threatened him with his job if he spoke against them.
I'm guessing (as others have said) that Braun didn't go there.

I have a hard time seeing Braun offering any comment on the hazing situation. He's not stupid.

"Odd Whiz" O'Donnell got stoned for years by Fitz and the NU media. It probably drove him nuts as a reporter. He sure acted at times like it did. We all grew frustrated with Fitz' lack of candor with the media and fans.

O'Donnell is probably relishing the opportunity to do this reporting. He sure as hell isn't following the Daily's lead on this. Good for him.

Yeah, plus I'm not even sure how Braun would speak to that.

Braun's been here for less than a full year; doubt he'd have spoken much about what happened before he was here. He could talk about the culture of the team since he got here, sure.

Genyk, MacPherson, McGarigle, etc. are the coaches that would have offered defenses of the culture here, not Braun.

It felt like 98% of it came from Bajakian. Especially given the “and I’ve coached a lot of places” part.

My money is that Bajakian blabbed to the ESPN crew in his pregame meeting, largely in an attempt to frame his imminent departure as mostly because of the t-shirt situation rather than the fact that he’s been shitty at his job.

The Daily Herald is once again doing the bidding of Pat Fitzgerald and his legal team. First, virtually denying that there was a culture of sexualized hazing which has been firmly established. Then, using the press to harass the whistleblower. Then, downplaying Braun's achievements by both reasserting that he was hired only after multiple "more experienced" candidates turned down the job....and finally, by saying that Braun's achievement of an 8-5 season with a bowl win was largely due to Pat Fitzgerald laying the ground work for him. Give me a break.

Pat Fitzgerald also laid the ground work and needs to own his 2-10 and 1-11 seasons. After all, he was the one who hired Jim O'Neil and Bajakian -- both unmitigated disasters.

Do I think Schill and Gragg handled the initial punishment and subsequent firing well? No, of course not. But this point by point denial of documented evidence and conspiracy-building around the whistleblower are clearly part of the Fitzgerald defense and lawsuit strategy.

The Daily Herald is once again doing the bidding of Pat Fitzgerald and his legal team. First, virtually denying that there was a culture of sexualized hazing which has been firmly established. Then, using the press to harass the whistleblower. Then, downplaying Braun's achievements by both reasserting that he was hired only after multiple "more experienced" candidates turned down the job....and finally, by saying that Braun's achievement of an 8-5 season with a bowl win was largely due to Pat Fitzgerald laying the ground work for him. Give me a break.

Pat Fitzgerald also laid the ground work and needs to own his 2-10 and 1-11 seasons. After all, he was the one who hired Jim O'Neil and Bajakian -- both unmitigated disasters.

Do I think Schill and Gragg handled the initial punishment and subsequent firing well? No, of course not. But this point by point denial of documented evidence and conspiracy-building around the whistleblower are clearly part of the Fitzgerald defense and lawsuit strategy.
I think I read here somewhere that any anti Fitz sentiment is a tiny fringe group of internet crazies. I'll gladly subscribe to that group. It happened, and he knew, or should have known. And..shocker...the world didn't end with the downfall of St. Patrick.

Edit: sorry so salty. I've been sick af for 2 weeks

Good post.

The McDonough stuff was weird during a broadcast, but whatever. It’s also interestingish and adds context to a national audience.

However, McDonough did a really lame job by not also acknowledging ‘six month investigation’ and ‘11 confirmations’ and reporting by ESPN and the Athletic that largely confirmed the allegations, etc., etc.

If you’re a national audience member or an Utah fan, you leave thinking that there was scant evidence.

The only step McDonough didn’t take was to say “totally made up,”… “and used as an excuse to fire Fitzgerald because Gragg and Schill resented that he was more powerful.” He also didn’t say this was done by “the woke mob”, though many walked away thinking that.

The Daily Herald is once again doing the bidding of Pat Fitzgerald and his legal team.

No. Come on. That makes zero sense. NU has the $$$. The writer has stated that he and Fitzgerald had a major falling out. NU has all the power and all the influence. If anybody is doing anybody's bidding, its the major media bending over for NU.

First, virtually denying that there was a culture of sexualized hazing which has been firmly established

Firmly established? Sean McDonough just was on national tv covering the bowl game and said "Everyone I talked to thought it was a bunch of nonsense." Everyone I talked to. Doesn't align with the opposite being "firmly established."

You are objecting to facts. Thats never a good idea.

But lastly, you blame Fitzgerald for his bad assistants and think it is ludicrous to credit him for hiring Braun.

Thats just the kind of illogic that detracts from the discussion on these message boards.

No. Come on. That makes zero sense. NU has the $$$. The writer has stated that he and Fitzgerald had a major falling out. NU has all the power and all the influence. If anybody is doing anybody's bidding, its the major media bending over for NU.

Firmly established? Sean McDonough just was on national tv covering the bowl game and said "Everyone I talked to thought it was a bunch of nonsense." Everyone I talked to. Doesn't align with the opposite being "firmly established."

But lastly, you blame Fitzgerald for his bad assistants and think it is ludicrous to credit him for hiring Braun.

Thats just the kind of illogic that detracts from the discussion on these message boards.
The Daily Herald has wide circulation on the south side. Or did when I was growing up. And PF is from Orland Park. That’s the heart of the burbs.

NU has the $$$$? To help the Daily Herald how? And it’s not like media in this country has devolved to partisan slanted hit jobs as ‘real news.’

I don’t believe much of what the media produces anymore. Agenda replaced reporting long ago.

Good keep it up Daily Herald. Finally have had multiple outlets challenging the allegations as embellished! So tired of this guilty until proven innocent mentality that grips social and mainstream media!

No ex-player (save one?) has denied the hazing, some have come forward publicly and said it happened, and some have said it happened, even if they did not come forward publicly. Without video evidence, I am very sure it is well-established as fact.

No ex-player (save one?) has denied the hazing, some have come forward publicly and said it happened, and some have said it happened, even if they did not come forward publicly. Without video evidence, I am very sure it is well-established as fact.
But there is vid......

• Haha
Reactions: IGNORE2
Firmly established? Sean McDonough just was on national tv covering the bowl game and said "Everyone I talked to thought it was a bunch of nonsense."
Calling sexualized hazing "a bunch of nonsense" isn't a denial that it happened, it's an opinion on its seriousness. And, yes, I stand by firmly established. The six month investigation, the 11 confirmations, and the additional reporting by ESPN, The Athletic, plus Lou's sources, and the student managers have largely confirmed the allegations.
No, I blame Fitz for his poor record as head coach over the last two years and I praise Braun for what he accomplished this year as head coach.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
But there is vid......
Crazy how those young females managers would jump on the BS. They clearly have an axe to grind. And can we get a new lead reporter here since Lou is using unreliable sources? Maybe Cappy has some honest sources.

"A culture of sexualized hazing has been firmly established"

Give me a break. No player was suspended. Explain that.

No player was suspended. Explain that.
You're right. No players were suspended, which is shameful. They were the primary perpetrators of the sexualized hazing and should have been held accountable, even more than Fitz. I don't know whether the report named the names of any current players, since it hasn't been released. I find it interesting that neither NU, the media, or anyone else has delved into who the hazing ringleaders were in recent years.

You're right. No players were suspended, which is shameful. They were the primary perpetrators of the sexualized hazing and should have been held accountable, even more than Fitz. I don't know whether the report named the names of any current players, since it hasn't been released. I find it interesting that neither NU, the media, or anyone else has delved into who the hazing ringleaders were in recent years.
But one OL recently announced that he’s getting off of dodge…

Well, I can tell you that NU refuses to release any information on students - there is some privacy law that they hide behind or feel empowered by. Not trying to be facetious - they feel like they are obligated to divulge nothing about their students. Even to victims. My belief is that in order to not be sued for misconduct of students in school-related activities, NU has erected massive barriers to information.

"Sexualized hazing". Is that a Jeopardy category? Select either a defined legal term, what most wives say to their husband when they are tired after a day dealing with the kids, kissing a female Spanish soccer player on the lips or grab assing in a men's shower?

"Sexualized hazing". Is that a Jeopardy category? Select either a defined legal term, what most wives say when they are tired after a day dealing with the kids, kissing a female Spanish soccer player on the lips or grab assing in a men's shower?
In this context, it probably refers to dry-humping, which Carl Richardson is on-video engaging in.

"Sexualized hazing". Is that a Jeopardy category? Select either a defined legal term, what most wives say when they are tired after a day dealing with the kids, kissing a female Spanish soccer player on the lips or grab assing in a men's shower?
Rubbing your d*ck on someone against their will is sexual assault. Grinding your d*ck against someone against their will is also sexual assault.

Hazing of any kind in Illinois is also a crime.

We use ‘sexualized hazing’ because it’s nicer not to think of the locker room as felons.

Rubbing your d*ck on someone against their will is sexual assault. Grinding your d*ck against someone against their will is also sexual assault.

We use ‘sexualized hazing’ because it’s nicer not to think of the locker room as felons.

Suggesting NU football was in the business of producing felons wasn't a choice but could add a curtain.

Line up your kids or grandkids for the exaggeration if you approve. Who’s volunteering them? Crickets

Except the whistleblower was caught on tape plotting the whole thing to ruin Fitz. Sorry, but the entire set of allegations are not credible when the guy making them basically said he did it to get Fitz fired.

Except the whistleblower was caught on tape plotting the whole thing to ruin Fitz. Sorry, but the entire set of allegations are not credible when the guy making them basically said he did it to get Fitz fired.
And apparently the female managers Lou’s source are in on it!

Calling sexualized hazing "a bunch of nonsense" isn't a denial that it happened, it's an opinion on its seriousness. And, yes, I stand by firmly established. The six month investigation, the 11 confirmations, and the additional reporting by ESPN, The Athletic, plus Lou's sources, and the student managers have largely confirmed the allegations.

No, I blame Fitz for his poor record as head coach over the last two years and I praise Braun for what he accomplished this year as head coach.

Hogwash

The investigation says it happened. It simply went feeble by saying they couldn't prove the coaches knew. Noodle-arm wanted to take down fitz, sure, but then the allegations were corroborated by numerous other players AND staff. Colonel Jesup is guilty

You really should talk to the ex-players if you want facts.
You should as well as you obviously haven’t. How about the parents? How many of them have you talked too?

Before you all jump on the “deniers”. It has never been about “nothing happened” with the “deniers”. It was about the “who knew and should have known”, the obvious mishandling of the rush to judgment and the total exaggeration portrayed by a series of outlets including some clearly disgruntled players. Go ahead, I know you will all jump on this, but this come from several ex-players and current parents. I am so tired of the BS about the culture these players permeated all these years. A culture that was so bad that a total of one player left when they could. How many left because the King abuser was fired? A helleva lot more!

There is a lot to this story. Maybe we will find out more, maybe we won’t, but let’s no act like everything out there is fact because someone said so. That goes for both “deniers” and people that think Fitz was President of the Sons of Anarchy!

You should as well as you obviously haven’t. How about the parents? How many of them have you talked too?

Before you all jump on the “deniers”. It has never been about “nothing happened” with the “deniers”. It was about the “who knew and should have known”, the obvious mishandling of the rush to judgment and the total exaggeration portrayed by a series of outlets including some clearly disgruntled players. Go ahead, I know you will all jump on this, but this come from several ex-players and current parents. I am so tired of the BS about the culture these players permeated all these years. A culture that was so bad that a total of one player left when they could. How many left because the King abuser was fired? A helleva lot more!

There is a lot to this story. Maybe we will find out more, maybe we won’t, but let’s no act like everything out there is fact because someone said so. That goes for both “deniers” and people that think Fitz was President of the Sons of Anarchy!
Again, those girls that volunteered as managers - must be writing a book or something. And why aren’t you calling for the firing of Lou for using such unreliable sources?

Out of curiosity, which of these exaggerated exercises would you like to see your kid or grandkid put through- the car wash or a good ole fashion running?

Reactions: KappaKat
Again, those girls that volunteered as managers - must be writing a book or something. And why aren’t you calling for the firing of Lou for using such unreliable sources?

Out of curiosity, which of these exaggerated exercises would you like to see your kid or grandkid put through- the car wash or a good ole fashion running?
I made my point. I assume this is yours. Move on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT