ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Philips // Big Ten Commissioner

He has accomplished an incredible amount at NU. At least he wouldn’t be leaving before the funding and construction of the FB and BB facilities were secured along with multiple solid FB assistant hires.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
Let's say he is announced tomorrow, I would like to know when our new AD will be announced. Has anyone heard of potential replacements?

I will throw up if Dr. Jim starts wearing Orange or Gold or Red ties...

So the same people who bitch about Fitz's assistants not getting hired away for bigger jobs are upset about Morty's man getting probably the second best commissioners job in college sports?

Mully and Haugh of 670 the score just tweeted that the pick was actually Kevin Warren, the COO of the Vikings...however the tweet has now been deleted. Weird!

So the same people who bitch about Fitz's assistants not getting hired away for bigger jobs are upset about Morty's man getting probably the second best commissioners job in college sports?

That’s what makes message boards such interesting places. Bitching ad nauseam.

Reactions: NJCat
Rest easy everyone "The Big Ten Conference is expected to name Kevin Warren to replace Jim Delany as Big Ten Commissioner tomorrow morning. Warren, 55, is the Chief Operating Officer of the Minnesota Vikings, the highest-ranking African-American executive on the business side of any NFL team."

Reactions: lunker35
Rest easy everyone "The Big Ten Conference is expected to name Kevin Warren to replace Jim Delany as Big Ten Commissioner tomorrow morning. Warren, 55, is the Chief Operating Officer of the Minnesota Vikings, the highest-ranking African-American executive on the business side of any NFL team."
How likely is it that Phillips was offered the job and turned it down? The Tribune was pretty clear on that possibility (Phillips called NU “the best AD job in the country”) and it would explain the story changes.

Reactions: drewjin
Yeah Kevin Warren being reported pretty much everywhere now. I'm shocked that Teddy G. was wrong, SHOCKED I say...

Now the question is will Warren shadow Big D or take over immediately?

The other good thing possibly out of this is possibly the rotation of the B1G Football and Basketball Championships to other locations.

Now the question is will Warren shadow Big D or take over immediately?

The other good thing possibly out of this is possibly the rotation of the B1G Football and Basketball Championships to other locations.

Does anyone really want to go to Omaha?

Were people (potentially going to be) upset? I didn’t sense that at all from the comments. It sounded to me more like “too bad for us but thanks Jim for all you’ve done.” Jim has been great for us and I don’t think any (well, most I suppose) of us would begrudge him moving on to be B1G commish. I’m thankful he’s staying but I would still appreciate him and his contributions if he moved on to a better job.

Were people (potentially going to be) upset? I didn’t sense that at all from the comments. It sounded to me more like “too bad for us but thanks Jim for all you’ve done.” Jim has been great for us and I don’t think any (well, most I suppose) of us would begrudge him moving on to be B1G commish. I’m thankful he’s staying but I would still appreciate him and his contributions if he moved on to a better job.
I would have been sorry to see Dr. Phillips leave Northwestern but would not be upset at his chance to move to a better job. I also would be sorry to see Paddy Fisher leave for the NFL draft after this season but would not be upset to see him move on to his dream.

Reactions: Inovacat
I would have been sorry to see Dr. Phillips leave Northwestern but would not be upset at his chance to move to a better job. I also would be sorry to see Paddy Fisher leave for the NFL draft after this season but would not be upset to see him move on to his dream.
If Paddy is projected to be a first rounder, he should go no question. I would almost be annoyed at him if he decided to stay bc that sort of seems like a dumb decision. He will be a RS junior, right, so likely have completed his 4yr degree?

Can anyone tell me if Morty (Shapiro) stepped down from the search committee for Delany’s replacement? When the retirement was announced this spring, Morty was named chair by virtue (I assumed) of it being his/Northwestern's turn to chair the committee of Presidents. But in today’s press release, McRobbie of Indiana was listed as chair of the “Executive Search Committee”

It begged the question if Morty felt the need (or was urged) to step aside of this particular task given the viability of a present friend/employee as a strong candidate.

To the question from above. Warren starts September 16. Delany’s retirement is officially effective January 1, 2020.

No but maybe he will push for trying US Bank stadium as a kick back to his old team. It’s got to be indoors so the only options within the B1G footprint are Indy, US Bank, and Ford Field I think.

It really doesn’t need to be indoors. If the last NY/NJ Super Bowl can be outdoors so can the B1G Championship at the beginning of December

Reactions: ricko654321
Pay him whatever it takes to upgrade Ryan Field.

Be careful what you wish for. Seat licenses will come and attendance will decline. If you can't hold it for 3 hours, see a urologist. The only stadium that I have frequented with good food is Camden Yards

My seats are great and I don't want to be reassigned by some computer based formula. I got my seats when NU sucked and I should be rewarded for that.

Be careful what you wish for. Seat licenses will come and attendance will decline. If you can't hold it for 3 hours, see a urologist. The only stadium that I have frequented with good food is Camden Yards

My seats are great and I don't want to be reassigned by some computer based formula. I got my seats when NU sucked and I should be rewarded for that.
Attendance won’t decline. The tickets will just be sucked up by the opposition.

It’s time NU learns they won’t get the casual fan by doing PSL’s in renovated stadiums/arenas. Keep the normal Season Tickets. NU isn’t OSU, UM, UW, PSU and so forth and never will be

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT