ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Goodwin Interview

Sec.112

Jun 17, 2001
If you haven't seen this from prephoops.com, it's worth a watch.

For all the knuckleheads who eliminated NU's chances, you might want to pay attention. I think there's a lot of positive here for the Cats. From an NU standpoint, I think the slight reference to how the parents are managing the process is good.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

If you haven't seen this from prephoops.com, it's worth a watch.

For all the knuckleheads who eliminated NU's chances, you might want to pay attention. I think there's a lot of positive here for the Cats. From an NU standpoint, I think the slight reference to how the parents are managing the process is good.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Like your optimism and enthusiasm 112. But I saw nothing positive for NU here other than the fact that he is till publicly mentioning us among those schools giving him the most attention. Indeed, he said nothing positive about NU basketball, and that is more often than not a telling sign. Thank goodness there is so much more to the puzzle than this interview. That's where I hold out hope.

e BTW ... aside from the importance of recruiting well in Illinois, I do not have Jordan in my top 3 wish list for the 2017 class. I see him as the type of guy who would be most effective as a complimentary starter on a loaded team. If we have just 2 schollies, I would rather have guys like Flagg or Smith on the wing and Evans or Eastern with the ball in their hands. If we have 3 schollies, I take Goodwin but would be just as happy with Nwora. Neither Eastern or Goodwin project to be 1st or 2nd or even 3rd scoring options on a quality BIG team. That really concerns me. We're not nearly loaded enough to accommodate 2 strong but still complimentary players in this class.

Thanks for posting, and for including a convenient link.

Bob

GOUNUII...while I respect your opinion I would suggest that "toughness" is the quality that the
Cats lack within this current group. A good % of reports reflect "tough" as the quality that Mr. Goodwin
brings to the table in spades. While Goodwin may not fit into the typical "shooting guard" profile
I believe CCC would enjoy having a "bad arse" on the roster for the purposes of guarding the glamour
2nd guards (or small fwds) or maybe heading straight down the lane to try and throw one down. I also
have no "inside" information and nobody on staff asked for my opinion!

I haven't seen Goodwin play, but I will go out on a limb and say he will be a major impact player wherever he lands. He has all the intangibles (toughness, competitiveness, a history of winning against good competition). He's also a helluva athlete -- a D-1 prospect in both football and basketball. And the reason he is blowing up this summer is he averaged 23 ppg for his summer team, which indicates a high skill level. I would love to have this kid in purple.

GOUNUII...while I respect your opinion I would suggest that "toughness" is the quality that the
Cats lack within this current group. A good % of reports reflect "tough" as the quality that Mr. Goodwin
brings to the table in spades. While Goodwin may not fit into the typical "shooting guard" profile
I believe CCC would enjoy having a "bad arse" on the roster for the purposes of guarding the glamour
2nd guards (or small fwds) or maybe heading straight down the lane to try and throw one down. I also
have no "inside" information and nobody on staff asked for my opinion!

Hey 16 ... I will try to respond to both you and Mr. Idaho here. No doubt toughness is what CCC is looking for in his future recruits. For good reason. And Goodwin demonstrates that in spades. Unfortunately, looking at scoring averages against HS competition gives us zero insight into skill levels or how the player will perform at the BIG level. HS TEs aren't exactly commonly associated with 2Gs at the BIG level.

I have seen the kid play. He will be an important contributor. He is also unlikely to develop a go to offensive game, and he is a tweener. Toughness will only take you so far when you are challenged to put the ball in the hoop or stay with either quicker guards or larger forwards. I would feel differently if he were even 6-6 or presented a perimeter scoring threat.

Is he a terrific player? Absolutely. But I see the question as whether 1 of 2 schollies is best used on a player whose value is largely as an important piece to an otherwise well stocked team. Evans and Flagg or Smith over Eastern and Goodwin all day long in my book.

And remember. I am talking wishful thinking here. Have no idea how realistic we are with the Tex. recruits.

GOUNUII

GOUNUII-I will defer to you on Goodwin as you have seen him play. My thinking is that at some
point Cats have to "bite bullet" and maybe sacrifice somewhere to secure a guy willing to do dirty
work required to win games in B1G. Who is a candidate at this point? 6'1 shooting guard Ish? Slender
Rap? 6'8 (maybe) Center Dererk? 3 pt. shooter Falzon? Listen, I root for ALL Cats and hope they all
develop into studs...just curious as to where "toughness" CCC craves is coming from? Maybe Mr. Ash
will develop into "lockdown" guy? Maybe B. Benson can be a hammer down low?? I hope for the best with
all the guys!!! GO CATS!!!!-Is Smith still in play for NU??????

I have seen Goodwin play in one game in the Illinois High School championship game two years ago against St. Joe's who had Ash, the starting PG for UNL and a 6'10" forward who is going to USC. Goodwin scored around 25 points and looked much more polished than J. Ash. Does that mean it translates to be an impact player in the Big 10? I don't know. But I remember saying that Goodwin was a quality player who was a playmaker which this team needs. If he developed from two years ago, he has a good shot at making an impact in the Big 10.

There was once a 6'3" tweener from the Chicagoland area who wanted to go to DePaul. Pat Kennedy said they were set at guard. He went to Marquette, beat no. 1 UK and led his team to the Final 4. He made Crean what he is today because he would not have been at IU but for a Final 4 trip. He then got drafted by the Heat and has 3 NBA championships and will be a HOFer. His name is Dwayne Wade. Also, Aguirre was a 6'4"-6'5" tweeter who led DePaul to a high time in Chicago area basketball and won a NBA championship.

Like your optimism and enthusiasm 112. But I saw nothing positive for NU here other than the fact that he is till publicly mentioning us among those schools giving him the most attention ... Thank goodness there is so much more to the puzzle than this interview. That's where I hold out hope.

I will always take a quick, first mention two weeks before cutting down a list. To me, that's one of the minor cues that says something - similar to what I saw in an Eastern interview a month or two ago.

However, I agree with your statement that there's so - so, so, so, so, sooooooooooo - much more to the puzzle. Admittedly, I'm grasping at straws.

Anyhow, it got me a designation as optimistic!!! That's a first!! How about that, boys?!?!?

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
I listened to the interview and I don't think u can much from it. Maybe he will play with his friends at Illinois but I hope and it sounds like much more will go into his decision. It seems like the Illini are building a thug culture from there spate of arrests the last year and Groce has not exactly shown to be a magician with the talent he has had.

Marginal grades + desire to stay close to home = SLU.

About 90% done from what I am hearing.

I'm not discounting what you're saying, Combes. Well, not more than most any other recruiting report on the Internet.

I just can't believe for a second that a kid would choose SLU over almost every other school on his list. That was the complete oddball to me.

OTOH, I've wondered for a few days if the new St. Louis assistant coach has anything to do with with his recruiting. He left Missouri for StL a couple weeks ago after one year. Then you dig a little deeper and ask, "What did do before the the Missouri gig?" He was head coach of the St. Louis Eagles - Goodwin's EYBL team. Damn.

Reactions: VirginiaWildcat
Marginal grades + desire to stay close to home = SLU.

About 90% done from what I am hearing.

SLU might be the worst combination of school and basketball on his list. Not horrible at either and not great at either.

I would think he's cleared for all academically by this point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT