ADVERTISEMENT

JT Barrett is awful

curdog

Jun 22, 2001
thought I would change the topic. He is as much of a Heisman candidate as I am. He looks so much worse than he did as a freshman

thought I would change the topic. He is as much of a Heisman candidate as I am. He looks so much worse than he did as a freshman
WTF happened to him? He was spectacular as a frosh and has gotten worse every year.

Must be the position coach :);)

WTF happened to him? He was spectacular as a frosh and has gotten worse every year.

Must be the position coach :);)
No, it’s not the position coach. Most likely it is the demanding academic load he is required to carry at The Ohio S--t University that is interrupting his practice time and distracting him on-field.

No, it’s not the position coach. Most likely it is the demanding academic load he is required to carry at The Ohio S--t University that is interrupting his practice time and distracting him on-field.

Good guess, but he graduated in the Spring, so doubtful that's the reason. There are some great attributes to JT- good leader, runs the read option well, but arm strength isn't one of them.

I've said all along that he is more of an instinctive player than an analytical one. As a freshman he played more instinctively. What he and the coaches have tried to do is make him a more analytical player. To his credit, he puts in the time studying film, analyzing the opposing defense and Buckeye offense. I think when he plays, he tries to do the right thing but suffers from analysis paralysis. If he could be analytical in preparation and instinctive when he plays, he would be much better.

He also has some limitations in arm strength. He's gotten bigger physically the past 4 years. For some QBs that doesn't change their throwing motion and the quick flick of their wrist and elbow. I think it has with JT. He's a shoulder thrower which lengthens his throwing motion.

Finally, JT is a running QB who can pass- like Braxton Miller, but he has neither the dynamic running or arm of Braxton Miller. He's also not Russell Wilson, and definately not Peyton Manning. With JT at the helm the Buckeyes need to be a running team with the QB getting 15-20'runs as part of the game plan, not out of desperation. It'll win games and keep them competitive against good competition if other parts of the team play well, but it's unlikely to survive a playoff run. Meyer needs to decide what he wants in the offense. If he wants to be a multidimensional offense with a vertical passing game, he has that QB on the bench though without experience. If he wants to be in most games and have a shot at the Conference, though not likely the National Championship then he should stick with JT.

Probably more than most here care to know about OSU's QB, but it's my perspective added to the thread.

Good guess, but he graduated in the Spring, so doubtful that's the reason. There are some great attributes to JT- good leader, runs the read option well, but arm strength isn't one of them.

I've said all along that he is more of an instinctive player than an analytical one. As a freshman he played more instinctively. What he and the coaches have tried to do is make him a more analytical player. To his credit, he puts in the time studying film, analyzing the opposing defense and Buckeye offense. I think when he plays, he tries to do the right thing but suffers from analysis paralysis. If he could be analytical in preparation and instinctive when he plays, he would be much better.

He also has some limitations in arm strength. He's gotten bigger physically the past 4 years. For some QBs that doesn't change their throwing motion and the quick flick of their wrist and elbow. I think it has with JT. He's a shoulder thrower which lengthens his throwing motion.

Finally, JT is a running QB who can pass- like Braxton Miller, but he has neither the dynamic running or arm of Braxton Miller. He's also not Russell Wilson, and definately not Peyton Manning. With JT at the helm the Buckeyes need to be a running team with the QB getting 15-20'runs as part of the game plan, not out of desperation. It'll win games and keep them competitive against good competition if other parts of the team play well, but it's unlikely to survive a playoff run. Meyer needs to decide what he wants in the offense. If he wants to be a multidimensional offense with a vertical passing game, he has that QB on the bench though without experience. If he wants to be in most games and have a shot at the Conference, though not likely the National Championship then he should stick with JT.

Probably more than most here care to know about OSU's QB, but it's my perspective added to the thread.
Never cared for him as a QB. Great athlete and running is a major part of his game. If he goes to next level, I do not see it as a QB

He doesn't appear to have the supporting cast he did a couple of years ago. Elliott, for example, was good enough at running back to cover up a lot of flaws.

Always appreciate your insight, Klem. You see - and present - a side to that program that most of us aren't plugged into.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Maybe geniusness of Kevin Wilson is over-rated? IU offense doing pretty good without him, OU too for that matter.

Maybe geniusness of Kevin Wilson is over-rated? IU offense doing pretty good without him, OU too for that matter.
He has been there for a couple months and it isn't his guy at QB. JT is a runner that can throw. His arm isn't the strongest and does not seem all that accurate. Unbelievable athletes at receiver and the rest of the supporting cast have hid some of his flaws at QB.

Time will tell. One of the questions here in Columbus is, "How much ownership of the offense has Meyer actually given to Wilson?"

He has been there for a couple months and it isn't his guy at QB. JT is a runner that can throw. His arm isn't the strongest and does not seem all that accurate. Unbelievable athletes at receiver and the rest of the supporting cast have hid some of his flaws at QB.

That's true. Even his best and record setting year in 2014 had it's flaws, but it was easy to not dwell on them because you considered that he was a freshman thrust into a difficult situation. Barrett has some strengths. There aren't many more QBs I'd rather have if it's 3rd or 4th and one, in a key moment that could win or lose a game, and a decision on the read option needs to be made. On the flip side, there are a lot of QBs I'd rather have to make the throw on 2nd or 3rd and 10, in the middle of the second quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT