ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Jackson Is Sooooo Special Thread

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
I have been rewatching our 2015 game highlight videos over at Northwesternhighlights.com. (this is a great little website).

Unsurprisingly, a lot of highlights feature JJ. He's not ripping off long TD runs, running over guys, or dragging a pile 8 yards. It's mostly him sifting through traffic, finding a seam, and getting a big first down. Over and over.

He is really amazing. He is so fluid and balanced, he makes defenders look like they are chasing some type of apparition. They are right there, but they cannot reach him. He just melts away.

And that block Long used to steamroll the Duke defender on the Vault TD return never gets old.

Reactions: NUMBfan
Y
I have been rewatching our 2015 game highlight videos over at Northwesternhighlights.com. (this is a great little website).

Unsurprisingly, a lot of highlights feature JJ. He's not ripping off long TD runs, running over guys, or dragging a pile 8 yards. It's mostly him sifting through traffic, finding a seam, and getting a big first down. Over and over.

He is really amazing. He is so fluid and balanced, he makes defenders look like they are chasing some type of apparition. They are right there, but they cannot reach him. He just melts away.

And that block Long used to steamroll the Duke defender on the Vault TD return never gets old.
youtubd is much better way more stuff there

As special as JJ is there are times when Long is more effective than JJ. No one can argue that because the proof there for everyone to see. JJ is special and I think could be an all American but sometimes Long as a more powerful back is a better option. Personally I would like to see JJ more involved in the short passing game where he's in space and can destroy defenses.

As special as JJ is there are times when Long is more effective than JJ. No one can argue that because the proof there for everyone to see. JJ is special and I think could be an all American but sometimes Long as a more powerful back is a better option. Personally I would like to see JJ more involved in the short passing game where he's in space and can destroy defenses.

They make a nice complementary pair. Long has much better straight line speed than I ever imagined. He's become a very capable back, and a bigger home run threat than JJ.

They make a nice complementary pair. Long has much better straight line speed than I ever imagined. He's become a very capable back, and a bigger home run threat than JJ.
Yes Hungry I totally agree. Shakes was way off the mark with his comment. No one is saying Long should get more carries than Jackson, just that Long should get more carries. What I posted was that I'd like to see WML get Vaults carries. WML is a much more reliable option than Vault. What I would truly like to see is a safe short passing game utilizing all our good backs including Roberts.

JJ can make something out of nothing, but I agree that Long is better able to break one off than JJ.

Pretty happy w/ this duo at RB (now, if there were more of a passing attack to give more space to the run game).

JJ can make something out of nothing, but I agree that Long is better able to break one off than JJ.

Pretty happy w/ this duo at RB (now, if there were more of a passing attack to give more space to the run game).
Totally agree! The single thing that to me separates JJ from just about every other back out there is that he gets very skinny and as you so aptly point out, makes something out of nothing. For me though, it's his ability to nearly always fall forward for another yard or so. This is also occurring often not after long runs with a full head of speed, but conversely in shorter runs, is slippery and very elastic body combined with much more power than you think he would have makes him a very special back. He lacks Peyton's power but reminds me very much of Walter and that is high praise.

Sarcasm is completely lost on some people. I really can't lay it on any thicker without a sarcasm alert. Didn't think I needed that

Reactions: BFDCat
In some ways I think JJ sets things up for Long. Teams think of Long as the slower, powerful back who will either be kept in as a blocker or hit it up the middle. It seems to me that when he is in the draw to the middle and if he goes outside his speed catches them by surprise and he is already past them.
Long looks just as fast to me as JJ in a straight line but he is a powerhouse. In the Duke game when he recovered the muffed punt, he didn't just cover the ball, he blasted the Duke away from the ball, diving at the player to provide the separation he needed to recover Duke's muff.

Well said mybrotha. They are both special!

Sarcasm is completely lost on some people. I really can't lay it on any thicker without a sarcasm alert. Didn't think I needed that
Sorry Shakes I don't buy your snarky retort. Your weak attempt at damage control after one of your ill advised posts is lost on yet another elitist comment. I fully understood the sarcasm as yet a single synapse producing dolt could see that. But, the undertone was to poke at people who suggest that Long in many cases is just as effective as JJ.

In some ways I think JJ sets things up for Long. Teams think of Long as the slower, powerful back who will either be kept in as a blocker or hit it up the middle. It seems to me that when he is in the draw to the middle and if he goes outside his speed catches them by surprise and he is already past them.
Long looks just as fast to me as JJ in a straight line but he is a powerhouse. In the Duke game when he recovered the muffed punt, he didn't just cover the ball, he blasted the Duke away from the ball, diving at the player to provide the separation he needed to recover Duke's muff.
Deering, I totally agree. My point in this post is that it's a pretty simple fact, when WML is in the game, good things happen. He's valuable in so many ways and I truly believe that today we could really see his value. If I'm McCall and JJ is struggling because the holes are not there, I bring in WML right away. Of course you continue to run JJ because he's special, but you simply run WML more than usual. Because frankly he's proven himself to be pretty special too.

Last edited:
Sorry Shakes I don't buy your snarky retort. Your weak attempt at damage control after one of your ill advised posts is lost on yet another elitist comment. I fully understood the sarcasm as yet a single synapse producing dolt could see that. But, the undertone was to poke at people who suggest that Long in many cases is just as effective as JJ.
I'm merely sarcastically poking all of the people that think they know better than th coaches. I love Warren Long... And Jackson and Vault. I even hope we get a Tom Hruby some more red zone carries today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT